JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Where did that map come from?!?!?!? It's been a long time since I went to NBC warfare school, but if my memory serves me correctly, that maps kills everyone in the Western U.S.

Where did that map come from?!?!?!? It's been a long time since I went to NBC warfare school, but if my memory serves me correctly, that maps kills everyone in the Western U.S.

After one week the fallout levels will break down to one/1,000th of the initial strength. Not to mention how dispersed it may be. If you take proper precautions and hide inside with supplies you can survive it. Even better if clean rains come swiftly right after

I can see Trlsmn rolling on the floor now.....bad bad Moderator!!!

An e-mail containing a "nuclear fallout map" has also been seen. Emblazoned with the logo of Australian Radiation Services, the map claims to show how nuclear fallout will spread to Alaska and the West Coast of the United States over the next few days. Hoax-debunking site snopes.com analyzed the e-mail and said ARS is denying any connection with the map, and that the radiation levels claimed do not match the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission's statements.

trainsktg has got it pretty much right. People need to think of this in terms of: "How big is the mess going to be?" and not "Will it explode?" This thing is going to be a big mess to clean up, but hardly a hazard to humans not immediately adjacent to it (except, perhaps, in the few days following a steam explosion with a significant loss of containment). Most of the efforts right now are in trying to limit the scope and size of the mess. The reactors are pretty much toast and hopefully the mess will be contained enough that it can be cleaned up in a controlled environment over a period of a few years.

Just to re-iterate: a nuclear explosion in this situation is impossible. At worst, a steam explosion or buildup of explosive gases (like Hydrogen) could disperse radioactive contamination over a larger area. That contamination (in concentrations large enough to present a significant health hazard) would be confined to an area fairly close to the power plants.

I've heard several nuclear "experts" on the news talk about this incident. Not one of the "experts" that I have seen predicting doom and gloom has had a background in nuclear physics or engineering. Most are policy experts and their sloppy use of nuclear terminology and lack of specificity tell me that their predictions should be taken with more than a single grain of salt.

trainsktg has got it pretty much right. People need to think of this in terms of: "How big is the mess going to be?" and not "Will it explode?" This thing is going to be a big mess to clean up, but hardly a hazard to humans not immediately adjacent to it (except, perhaps, in the few days following a steam explosion with a significant loss of containment). Most of the efforts right now are in trying to limit the scope and size of the mess. The reactors are pretty much toast and hopefully the mess will be contained enough that it can be cleaned up in a controlled environment over a period of a few years.

Just to re-iterate: a nuclear explosion in this situation is impossible. At worst, a steam explosion or buildup of explosive gases (like Hydrogen) could disperse radioactive contamination over a larger area. That contamination (in concentrations large enough to present a significant health hazard) would be confined to an area fairly close to the power plants.

I've heard several nuclear "experts" on the news talk about this incident. Not one of the "experts" that I have seen predicting doom and gloom has had a background in nuclear physics or engineering. Most are policy experts and their sloppy use of nuclear terminology and lack of specificity tell me that their predictions should be taken with more than a single grain of salt.

WHAT????? The media going for sensationalism instead of facts???? Say it ain't so.

The pumps are DEAD in several reactors already.. the Japanese are pumping sea water into the reactors in an act of desperation in an attempt to keep the cores from melting down

This could be a Chernobyl X6 with us, downwind. Ignore or poo poo it at your own peril. The wise have been ready for this sort of disaster for many years now. I have my alarming dosimeter and NBC gear ready to go

Even 1,000 X drop in initial radiation levels at the site of the disaster (due to radioactive half life) is increased radiation levels. This will be especially dangerous to children if any fallout gets this far

I'd like to hear you explain how the meltdown of the core would penetrate the two containment structures that are put in place to prevent such an occurrence? (Chernobyl had none)

I don't think most of you have any understanding as to how a modern nuclear reactor works (heck I don't even know much), but they are engineered to prevent a catastrophic failure resulting from a meltdown. Three Mile Island gave proof that the containment structure can easily withstand a partial meltdown.

The "explosion" that happened was supposedly due a failure of the pressure regulating/venting system, thus releasing built up steam pressure. While it is possible that this can release contaminated materials, the effect is minor and localized.

Once the fuel rods fully cool in less than a weeks time, any danger will pass.

I'd like to hear you explain how the meltdown of the core would penetrate the two containment structures that are put in place to prevent such an occurrence? (Chernobyl had none)

I don't think most of you have any understanding as to how a modern nuclear reactor works (heck I don't even know much), but they are engineered to prevent a catastrophic failure resulting from a meltdown. Three Mile Island gave proof that the containment structure can easily withstand a partial meltdown.

The "explosion" that happened was supposedly due a failure of the pressure regulating/venting system, thus releasing built up steam pressure. While it is possible that this can release contaminated materials, the effect is minor and localized.

Once the fuel rods fully cool in less than a weeks time, any danger will pass.

as has been stated in a few posts, and the above- the reactors in question are not going to freaken "detonate" and no "fallout" is going to make it to anywhere off japan. WORST CASE SCENARIO for these reactors is that they'll burn, releasing radioactive smoke which will saturate the local area. when was the last time smoke from a small industrial fire made it across 4,600 miles of ocean? this is no different.

i'm not a nuclear physicist, but you don't need to be to open up wikifreakenpedia and spend 30 minutes getting educated. the problem around here, however, is the fact that so many of you ABSOLUTELY RELISH PANIC.

you're the same bubblegums posting 5 year old gun-ban legislation articles, the same guys posting lunatic tin-foil hat conspiracy theory bullbubblegum, and the same guys posting 2012 bullcrap. you're also the same guys who'd bubblegum your pants if the S ever actually did HTF, despite your fantasies about running around leading rebel bands of commandos against the Empire.

give it a bubbleguming rest.

It's actually exactly what could occur wind wise via the Gulf Stream. But the radiation would have to somehow be blown 5 miles high to reach the GS for this to occur. Better to be paying attention than caught unready

Top Doc: Buying Iodine a "Precaution" | NBC Bay Area

Please explain the Gulf Stream reference. The Gulf Stream is an ocean current that originates in the Gulf of Mexico, runs up the Atlantic coast of the US and then past Newfoundland towards Europe.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top