JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
They are tough and stringy, all very lean muscle. They are subject to Tularemia, a serious bacterial infection that can infect humans. They must be cooked to a rocklike texture and don't eat the liver, heart etc. my understanding is that the pups are more edible than the adults, but still, infection! Ugh!:confused:

As for Tularemia - it is alive and well - we live on the Coast (Neskowin) - and last July had 3 pine squirrels die within 3 days - ODFW had them tested - positive for Tularemia - which can be passed to humans and your pets - caused by fleas - make sure you have your dogs and cats protected from fleas -- it is dangerous stuff. ODFW Vet in Corvallis was very surprised as was ODFW ! Not something you want mess with Tularemia also known as "RABBIT FEVER"

Never did eat any of them. We were warned by grand dad they were no good and not to even touch them!! We started out with .22 rifles we each got when we turned 12. progressed as far as we wanted from there. Most times a 5.56 or a 243 works really well. The newer varmaggdon ammo is pretty awesome! Most times we hunted rabbits, we ended up with more rattle snakes for stew meat or shredded in a BBQ sauce for sandwiches!

I've killed a lot and eaten a few. I've found the best way is to pressure cook the meat then stew em. It taste a hell of a lot like slightly gamey roast beef just a bit more stringy.
I just tried it a few times to see if I could survive on the things if I had too. I wouldn't go out of my way to cook them unless I had to.

I've killed a lot and eaten a few. I've found the best way is to pressure cook the meat then stew em. It taste a hell of a lot like slightly gamey roast beef just a bit more stringy.
I just tried it a few times to see if I could survive on the things if I had too. I wouldn't go out of my way to cook them unless I had to.
Beat me to it^
Once when I was snow bound in N. AZ, mid winter I shot and boiled 2 jacks. There was less than 1 tea spoon of fat between the 2 in the pot. I also roasted one in Utah tough as shoe leather. Pressure cooker is the way to go!

^ yeah you def. need to add some sort of fat.

Op if you can get you some cottontail, holy moly, that's something different and definitely worth the trouble. Deep fry them like chicken then slow roast them in the oven with a little cream of mushroom soup.

Hell NO! I've shot tons of them in central Oregon but once you've seen the sores on them from the Tularemia I don't see how you could ever eat them. Kinda like seeing how sausage is made or chickens are processed except worse.

When I grew up in West Texas jackrabbits were abundant. In some places you could set up and shoot/hit a jack with every .22lr round you carried into the field. There would still be jacks available to shoot when you finished. We would leave them lay. Never ate one of them. Make you bad sick.

I have cooked them, and 99% is how you gut and clean them.

And he'll yeah when shtf and food is nowhere to be found I'd do it again ... only if I did the cleaning.

CAREFUL with the liver and heart etc

Yep the young in the winter are fine, I did once get Tularemia from a big boar Bear I skinned, the meat was fine, the Tularemia came from the fat as I skinned it. Itchiest damn hands you could imagine.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top