JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ruger has dropped all piston AR's and Sig has dropped the 516.
DI rifles outselling piston ones? That would be my guess.
Ruger only lists the AR-556 now. I wonder is a DI .308 is in the works for them.

I agree that it is the extra weight that has been the anchor on piston rifles. Since most folks barely ever shoot their rifles, very few folks would ever need the benefit of a piston action, either.

DI guns are more accurate. :rolleyes: Okay for some that is heresy. My opinion is based on the fact
piston guns are not used in Highpower competition.
DSC00191.JPG

Ruger has dropped all piston AR's and Sig has dropped the 516.
DI rifles outselling piston ones? That would be my guess.
Ruger only lists the AR-556 now. I wonder is a DI .308 is in the works for them.
RDB 17" is still in production. I love mine! Adjustable gas block, 100% ambidextrous, easy to clean, zero malfunctions, well balanced (I can shoot it with one hand), maneuverable, accurate enough for what it was made.
Moreover, no brace or stamp needed to have $800 carbine with 17" BBL and 27" OAL.
I think Ruger, Sig and others probably decided to stop producing piston driven rifles instead of competing with Kel-Tec on price.

Here is the picture from the Internet - to compare AR and AK SBRs with RDB17":
fc782488f9e8371e78156c7cf3ba51d3.png

And here is mine:
c2275aed329fc80606292a7d6317487e.png

You can argue anything on the interwebs.

Typical off the shelf models aren't much different for accuracy or weight.

I agree with the poster from Kieser who mentioned lower cost as a big difference.

AR rifles whether DI or Piston can be tuned for accuracy. Accessories like the right adjustable gas block, free-float handguard, muzzle break and harmonic stabilizer enhances the accuracy of any piston or DI AR.

In 2001, Armalite made an inexpensive AR-180B, an updated version of the original piston AR-18/180 that takes unmodified mags. It sold for $650 new (when ARs were commonly $750+) weighs 6 lbs, with a 20" barrel and std. GI Stock, less than any std. DI-AR. Most wouldn't notice the weight of a piston unless you were carrying all day every day and then, it's maybe 8-12 oz. more. Word has it they discontinued it BECAUSE it was too cheap and they made more profit on AR-15 and AR-10s.

Regarding competition - the typical difference is about 1/2 MOA before tuning and competition rifles are easily 2x-4x or more $$$ the cost of a standard rifle.

M1A/M14 are piston rifles and have a pretty good track record for hi-power / distance competition shooting. FAL and AK rifles are piston with a better than fair reputation for operational reliability.

Typical DI-ARs are popular because they are cheaper yet still highly customizable. But piston rifles are here to stay, no question about it.

Last Edited:
Big Fal fan here but have yet to own a piston AR. Building one is on my to do list though. I guess I am still on the fence about benefits vs cost.

Big Fal fan here but have yet to own a piston AR. Building one is on my to do list though. I guess I am still on the fence about benefits vs cost.

For me building an AR is not about benefits vs cost, it's about being able to take a box full of parts, put it together right and making a fine shooting weapon.
I like to tell people that my rifles are built not bought.;)
We will have lots to talk about if our Baker Lake fishery happens this year. LOL I'm looking forward to it. :D

Last Edited:
For me building and they are it's not about benefits vs cost, it's about being able to take a box full of parts, put it together right and making a fine shooting weapon.
I like to tell people that my rifles are built not bought.;)
We will have lots to talk about if our Baker Lake fishery happens this year. LOL I'm looking forward to it. :D

Yes I derive a lot of satisfaction from building from parts for sure. On that note what brand of piston parts do you use? Adams is the one I see most advertised but I am sure others are available?
Oh yes we will most definitely do Baker. Was mostly a bust last summer but hoping for a better run this year. Luckily we made a most fortuitous stop in front of Sooke while running the boat up to Barkley sound and quickly found limits of nice sized Socks for the frz. Crazy fishery with 2-4 rods lighting off at once. But I digress, back to piston AR talk.

Last Edited:
Yes some of the short coupled pistol di platforms with a can, have the ability to get to you a bit with noxious gasses pouring out of the action. :D

I like the idea of piston...just not in an AR.

Piston is far more expensive, not much 3rd party support for it in the AR platform and it's definitely not standardized by any means like DI is... So say you get a nice piston kit and said company that made said kit goes out of business...now what do you do for replacement parts? your on your own or gotta buy a whole different system.

DI is the same across all AR15s with only difference being pistol, carbine, mid, rifle, and extended rifle length tubes...

and DI really isn't that much more to clean than a piston...I have a piston operated Vepr and it gets just as dirty as my AR's do from blow back out of the barrel when the shell is ejected. (and some gas that can escape around the piston puck and dirties up the operating rod) Neither system is perfect, but I would stick with the system standardized and native to the weapon so you can find easily find replacement parts when needed.

Yes I derive a lot of satisfaction from building from parts for sure. On that note what brand of piston parts do you use? Adams is the one I see most advertised but I am sure others are available?
Oh yes we will most definitely do Baker. Was mostly a bust last summer but hoping for a better run this year. Luckily we made a most fortuitous stop in front of Sooke while running the boat up to Barkley sound and quickly found limits of nice sized Socks for the frz. Crazy fishery with 2-4 rods lighting off at once. But I digress, back to piston AR talk.

I have not ventured fro Adams as I am satisfied with their performance. I like to stick with what works for me so my list is always a short one for build parts.;)

Ready for some on the water experience up north.:D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads