JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Sheriff: Thieves targeting community and we can't stop it | www.kirotv.com

A North Sound county is in a public safety emergency. Budget cuts have left Island County--which covers Whidbey and Camano Islands--in such a bind that deputies can't go after criminals. When they do, they don't have the manpower to properly prosecute them.

We asked Sheriff Mark Brown "Is this an emergency?" He says, "I consider it an emergency."

Island County has the fewest number of officers per resident in the state. They're tied with Thurston County at the bottom of the list.

"We respond to as many calls as we can but we triage those calls and certainly property crime calls go to the bottom of the triage," says Brown.

And thieves apparently know it. Burglaries spiked two years ago, up more than 77 percent. Property crimes are jumped about 43 percent. State figures released yesterday show little has changed.

"It's a worry, but we lock everything," said Judy Workman, who has seen multiple burglaries in her Clinton community.
One person was arrested but with limited resources and a growing caseload, officers couldn't hold him for burglary—just stolen property possession, which is like a shoplifting slap on the wrist. His case is pending.

In Coupeville, The Law and Justice Council met and drafted a request for $2.6 million to increase law enforcement staff—including prosecutors. The money would allow the sheriff to hire enough officers to staff three precincts with two deputies around the clock.

The proposal now heads to county commissioners who will decide if it will be put on the ballot as a property tax increase.

"We should probably have a say, one way or the other, I hope so," said Workman.

Commissioners will talk about the proposal at their meeting in two weeks. They have to make a decision by August to get it on the November ballot.

Time to protect yourselves and your families. The criminals know help is not on the way, so they are becoming more bold. Only a few of them need to get shot before the rest wise up a bit.

Actually this is perfect for those who can take care of themselves. The others ............well thats life, my heart quit bleeding years ago. Anybody brought up on charges for protecting themselves and theirs can copy and paste the sheriff's own words. I dont think this is sad at all ,the writings been on the wall forever.Oh by the way I can honestly say Ive never heard of an enforcement agency stopping a robbery before it happens anyhow, this just means it will be a few more days before they stop by and ask what was stole and how much its worth.

Time to protect yourselves and your families. The criminals know help is not on the way, so they are becoming more bold. Only a few of them need to get shot before the rest wise up a bit.
The problem is that shooting one of the criminals would be one of the "crimes" that the state would dedicate resources to prosecuting, and that the law abiding citizen would have to devote resources to defending their actions. (Hint, when someone gets shot, it is not a "property crime" hence would go to the top of law enforcement "triage") Apparently, only criminals have rights in the current justice system.

cops wont protect us, and we are forced to defend ourselves BUT if you fire a warning shot as recommended by vice pres dorkhead you will be charged with a felony!!!

this is so messed up we are now being forced to kill,...... to protect our finances in a court of law in civil suits from the crims, after we thwart off their attempted robbery

I feeling like its time for me to leave Oregon, the new northern California

Maybe they could find the money in these programs:

Illegal immigrants and state programs
Washington state estimates it will spend more than $300 million over the next two years on services illegal immigrants can tap, not counting K-12 education. A breakdown: $125 million on health care for 7,400 pregnant women ineligible for Medicaid because they can't prove they are here legally. This program can't be changed, because of federal restrictions.
$73 million on welfare for children. The federal government requires proof that the children are here legally, but not their parents. This program also can't be changed.
$59 million for medical and dental coverage for 25,000 children from low-income families ineligible for Medicaid because they can't prove they are here legally.
$24 million for kidney dialysis and cancer treatment for 1,300 low-income people ineligible for Medicaid because they can't prove they are here legally.
$15 million for in-state tuition subsidies for students who have lived in Washington for at least three years. The state does not check legal status.
$5.6 million in nursing-home care for low-income undocumented residents.
Sources: State Legislature, Department of Social and Health Services

Actually this is perfect for those who can take care of themselves. The others ............well thats life, my heart quit bleeding years ago. Anybody brought up on charges for protecting themselves and theirs can copy and paste the sheriff's own words. I dont think this is sad at all ,the writings been on the wall forever.Oh by the way I can honestly say Ive never heard of an enforcement agency stopping a robbery before it happens anyhow, this just means it will be a few more days before they stop by and ask what was stole and how much its worth.

Society is what is bad that many do not seem to be able to take care of themselves they always want the government or police or the sheriff or just someone else to protect them because they don't have the guts or means to do it themselves

Not far from where I live and I have several friends that live in that county. It's more about the Sheriff wanting a larger budget, the spikes while expressed in a % seem huge consider when the crime rate is almost nothing it doesn't take much to show a "spike" in crime. This news report got far more attention outside the county than it did in the county.

"Emboldened" is the term a lawyer friend mine once used. Not good, I feel for you folks, I would venture to say that the local authorities would be behind a neighborhood watch program.

Get together solve your problems that way, better things happen when people work together in large groups which will out number the element that exists.

Last Edited:
Immigrants have nothing to do with it.

We get stronger every time an immigrant crosses the border.

If you're listening for something, no matter what it is, you're sure to hear it.

As an immigrant let me be the first to tell you that you are out of your mind.
When I came to the US I made a very serious effort to learn English and assimulate.
Maybe I am not a fair comparison because I was just about to turn 13.
My mother however was an adult and also made a heck of an effort. She went to English night school classes and read the dictionary to learn new words.
What I see now is a wave of immigrants from Mexico and other latin American countries that expect for those in the US to make accomodations for them. Majority make no effort to become part of the culture.
To them I want to say - FU! Learn English, I did and so did millions of others.

I understand you want to leave that crap hole and move some place better. Fine, leave it, don't drag it up here with you.

Not many things piss me off more than calling a business and being told to press 1 for English, or going to Home Depot and seeing signs in Spanish. I did not immigrate to Mexico.

The problem is that shooting one of the criminals would be one of the "crimes" that the state would dedicate resources to prosecuting, and that the law abiding citizen would have to devote resources to defending their actions. (Hint, when someone gets shot, it is not a "property crime" hence would go to the top of law enforcement "triage") Apparently, only criminals have rights in the current justice system.

Only if they find the body. Backhoe justice is a future trend

Immigrants have nothing to do with it.

We get stronger every time an immigrant crosses the border.

If you're listening for something, no matter what it is, you're sure to hear it.

Police departments are funded by the governmental body that authorized their creation, such as city, county, and state governments. They also receive funding through state and federal grants, especially for particular projects like "click-it-or-ticket" and "drink,drive/go-to-jail." These types of grants fund the hiring of additional officers and/or overtime needed to carry out these projects.

So giving money to Illegal Immigrants has something to do with lack of funding.

Maybe you should stop take your Communists advice, Comrade!

You need to read RCW 9A.16.110

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top