JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking at picking up a used AR with Oly Arms lower, it is about 4-5 years old. My question is are they bubblegumt because I always see them in the classifieds for longer than any other AR or is it because they are more expensive.
I am not an AR guy just looking to lean a little, thanks for the info.

I have several years of direct experience with Olympic and can tell you their lowers are fine as are the rest of their parts.

I have been to the factory and know many of the dudes. They genuinely do want to put out a quality product and are very capable of doing so.

They do get a negative rap from some legacy products that may or may not be deserved. My take is that it is not deserved.

They are an actual manufacturer who turns steel into gun parts and actually rifles barrels on site. Their SUM and target barrels are generally considered excellent shooters.

They may beat up for not having chrome barrels or whatever is on the chart. But they are genuinely good folks who want to make a quality rifle. And they are right here in the PNW hiring local folks.

It was before my time when Oly had their issues.
The brand has been dragged through the mud and that continues today.
Blackthorne, Hesse and Vulcan are the only other brands that have sunk lower.

Chances are good that this lower is fine, but it has that Oly rollmark on it.
If you don't expect to sell it in the near future, then that won't matter.

Back in the early to mid 90's Oly made 'cast" aluminum uppers and lowers for a "budget" line of AR's. These were pretty much junk. This started to "Oly is crap" stories. these stories continue today, constantly repeated on the internet by talking parrots.

Maybe it's time Oly arms changes their name. Kinda like what GoldStar did back in the 90's. They were well known for cheap electronics. they are now called LG and a very well respected brand. Nothing really changed but the name.

It was before my time when Oly had their issues.
The brand has been dragged through the mud and that continues today.
Blackthorne, Hesse and Vulcan are the only other brands that have sunk lower.

Chances are good that this lower is fine, but it has that Oly rollmark on it.
If you don't expect to sell it in the near future, then that won't matter.

When they had there issues the company was called SGW. Shuetson Gun Works.(not sure on the spelling). I too have been to their factory. It is not very fancy or very big. They are in the Nisqually valley east of I-5. I have owned a Oly AR-15 and was not impressed.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top