JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It has occurred to me that the only reason that the 30-06 may be waning in sales is that everybody's already got one.

Have one, so I just bought another!:s0155:

Still looking for one in a left hand bolt action.

The 06 will be around for a long, long time to come.

If you want to know how popular the 30-06 is, just read articles about the latest and greatest new round and see how many of those articles at some point make a comparison to the 30-06! It is a hard package to beat.

SO, the venerable aught six is on its way out, eh? Well, that must mean I've got three or four dead horses knocking about here, ready for the knacker man to come round and take them up.

And I can't believe I am on the prowl for one more... I STILL want an M1 Garand..... fired one last weekend for the first time..... using cheap ($95 for 300 rounds) Greek surplus military ammo (from a fresh spam can) the guy who owned it put a full clip into an inch and a half at a hundred yards.. rapid fire... well under ten seconds. He'd not fired the old gal for twenty years. Benchrested on the bonnet of a truck...... and that with the original issue peep sights. I didn't do so well.. never used peeps before, took a bit to get them dialed in to my previous habits. I think I grouped the clip in about two and a half inches, maybe three, slow fire.

I've sort of been liking them for some time.. but now I KNOW I want one. One more dead horse in the stall...... perfect.

Please everyone PM me your addresses.

I will come by on Sunday I'll try to make it to everyones houses to pick up the obsolete '06's. Please have guns and ammo ready for proper storage, I mean disposal.

Please everyone PM me your addresses.

I will come by on Sunday I'll try to make it to everyones houses to pick up the obsolete '06's. Please have guns and ammo ready for proper storage, I mean disposal.

Okay, you take care of Oregon, I'll handle Washington. That way, niether of us will get in dutch for moving firearms across state lines. One more detail... any M1 Garands you find, I'll trade you straight across for some stainless barelled ones I get... stainless is worth more per pound than regular steel...... you'll come out ahead.

30-06 aint goin' anywhere any time soon. I have two old bolt actions that take the round and I've just picked up a Mauser M63 chambered for the cartridge as well. Yeah theres a lotta new rounds commin' out every other week it seems,but rest asured, the 30-06 round will be around forever.

I highly doubt it is going anywhere anytime soon. I just purchased my first center-fire rifle, and it was a .30-06. My reason for choosing that caliber is that I handload and all of my recent research seemed to indicate the .30-06 is still the most versatile round on the market.

... and you have rounds like 7mm rem mag that shoot flatter and have way more knock down power...

From reloading data at:
<broken link removed>

30-06, 150 grain, max velocity = 3068

7mm Rem Mag, 150 grain, max velocity = 3081

Not much difference there.:D

Bruce

30-06, 150 grain, max velocity = 3068
New powders and bullets are to thank for making so-called old, outdated calibers "new" again. The .270, as well as the 06' can be loaded to match or come close to exceeding many 'magnum' ballistics. I am going to be loading for my 30-30 a round that exceeds 2600 FPS and this is a stock load for Ramshot powder TAC in their loading data pamphlet.

New powders and bullets are to thank for making so-called old, outdated calibers "new" again. The .270, as well as the 06' can be loaded to match or come close to exceeding many 'magnum' ballistics. I am going to be loading for my 30-30 a round that exceeds 2600 FPS and this is a stock load for Ramshot powder TAC in their loading data pamphlet.

Not only new powders, but new bullets. Hornady's soft points allow you to push a 44 magnum to almost 30-30 velocities out of a rifle. Extends the range on a 30-30 to about 250 yards.

RVTECH, What is that load for 30-30 to get 2600 fps. I would be interested in loading some for my Marlin. I love hunting with that old gun, but tend to go with my 300 mag just for the knock down power.

Ever notice when there is an article about the new 'billy bob Joe" round and how it is the final answer in shooting, they always start off by comparing it to the '06?

No it is far from ever becoming obsolete.

SF-

RVTECH, What is that load for 30-30 to get 2600 fps. I would be interested in loading some for my Marlin. I love hunting with that old gun, but tend to go with my 300 mag just for the knock down power.

38 grains of Accurate 2460 + a 150 gr Nosler Partition + Federal 210 primer = 2584 fps.