JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just have a conversation with a guy here at work who told me the 30.06 is starting to phase out because there are other rounds gaining popularity fast (e.g. .308) I was always under the impression that the 30.06 was the most populat round, which is why when I got my hunting rifle I got the 30.06 :s0155:

Just wondering what everyone thoughts are on this topic. Personally I really like the round, but I have not really spend alot of time with much else.

I hope this topic is not popular, as I have not seen any pop up. But this is not a debate on which is better, just about the comment being made the 30.06 is starting to get phased out and becoming unpopular.

I recently got rid of my 30-06 but found it to be the most useful caliber out there. Many, many guns out that support that caliber.

:s0114::s0114::s0114:

Umm, no...

Hard to think of it being phased out. Its still chambered in almost every rifle platform around. It can still handle every game species in North America. Versatile and easy to reload for. I can't imagine my safe ever not having at least one .30-06. Currently its an M1 Garand, but I've had several others as well. It was what my first hunting rifle was chambered in. It will be what my last hunting rifle will be chambered in. It will outlive us all...

30-06 unpopular? BLASPHEMY!!!

Maybe "a little bit less popular" would be closer to the truth. We are working
on three generations that have grown up with the .308, and there isn't a lot
of difference between the two. '06 is a bit better W-A-Y out there, and it's
got the edge as a heavy bullet launcher. 308 will do just a bit better on the
light bullet end, and fits in a slightly smaller/lighter package. Personally I
think the old 30-06 is probably one of the most versatile cartridges in the world, and any reports of it's demise are at least 100 years premature.

Your friend needs to get out more in the hunting community. While I like the .308 and other calibers, the .30-06 is just a tad more versatile on the upper weight bullet range, especially if you handload and can take advantage of the extra case capacity when loading long bullets.

Go to any chain type gun store and see how many .30-06 rifles they have compared to any other caliber. It isn't because they aren't moving, but because it is so popular--even after 104 years.

The area that the .308 is gaining ground is of course in target matches and cheaper target shooting/plinking. The short action is stiffer and slightly more accurate, the shorter case actually is more optimal for consistent powder burning. And you can get cheap Wolf and other foreign brands of ammo more readily than in .30-06.

The .30-06 is still a grand cartridge for the field and range and it will remain in the top sellers with the .308, .270, .223 and .243 for good reasons.

Wow. talk about the most uneducated statement I have read in a long time. I cannot see why this was even put out there, as there is no supporting evidence to remotely back up such an absurd claim. Like mountain bear said, "first rifle, last rifle". I have owned many rifles in many different calibers like many of us here. And while there may be faster cartridges like the 300 RUM, I dont think the versatility of 30-06 can be beat IMO.

while not an -06 aficionado, I prefer the 300wm, that is one of the dumbest statements I have ever heard, up there with a 243 won't kill a whitetail.
If it was invented today it might not make it as there are SO many other options, but the fact that it has been around for more than a century, every centerfire rifle manufacturer makes a gun for it, it takes the most common bullet made. It is just a good all around rifle round.

problem is there's so many different calibers out there and coming out that are suppose to be "better" and that 30-06 ammo ain't cheap anymore (at least it was hard for me to find cheap surplus ammo when I owned my rifles in that caliber). .308 does almost as well and you have rounds like 7mm rem mag that shoot flatter and have way more knock down power and seem to have as much of a kick (at least to me). i love 30-06 and think it's an awesome hunting round but now it seems to me to be losing some if it's following.

Here's a question regarding the following of the 30-06:

Didn't that caliber come about after WWII? The military guys who used it are the ones who drove it into a hunting round? If that's valid, look at the ages and how the newer generation did not have the hands on real life experience with that round. Thus that could be some of it's falling off, or so it appears for other calibers etc.

Thoughts?

Didn't that caliber come about after WWII? The military guys who used it are the ones who drove it into a hunting round? If that's valid, look at the ages and how the newer generation did not have the hands on real life experience with that round. Thus that could be some of it's falling off, or so it appears for other calibers etc.

Thoughts?

the name, "aught-six" comes from 1906.

Thoughts?

Try before WWI hence the 06

ok, I was off one war (and a few years)

Appreciate the correction. *stored in memory bank*