JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The '06 is still the standard by which all hunting rounds are compared. There are so many of them out there that they won't even wane in popularity in our lifetimes.

The ONLY reason to choose .308 for a hunting rifle is if you already have a black rifle in that caliber and want to consolidate calibers, imho. In the black rifle arena, the .308 is replacing the '06 because the .308 is shorter overall and most think it feeds better in semi-auto and select-fire. Ballistically it's on a par with the '06 imho.

If all I ever had for hunting was an '06, I'd be completely satisfied and never believe it would become obsolete.

Long live the '06! :s0155:

RVTECH, What is that load for 30-30 to get 2600 fps. I would be interested in loading some for my Marlin. I love hunting with that old gun, but tend to go with my 300 mag just for the knock down power.

I cannot remember the charge weight but it is using Ramshot TAC powder with a 125 gr HPFN Sierra bullet. This load is in their online reloading data. It exceeds 2600 FPS.

The '06 is still the standard by which all hunting rounds are compared. There are so many of them out there that they won't even wane in popularity in our lifetimes.

The ONLY reason to choose .308 for a hunting rifle is if you already have a black rifle in that caliber and want to consolidate calibers, imho. In the black rifle arena, the .308 is replacing the '06 because the .308 is shorter overall and most think it feeds better in semi-auto and select-fire. Ballistically it's on a par with the '06 imho.

If all I ever had for hunting was an '06, I'd be completely satisfied and never believe it would become obsolete.

Long live the '06! :s0155:

Really? The only reason? What if I want to use a lever action and don't want to outlay the cash for a BLR?

Really? The only reason? What if I want to use a lever action and don't want to outlay the cash for a BLR?

Ok, another reason would be if you're a loser and can't afford a good gun. :s0155:

I think you knew I was referring to the tried and true bolt action hunting rifles, and to someone who was just building a basic collection of guns. :s0155:

OP:

Did you ever speak with your friend again regarding the obsolescence of the 30-06?

Ok, another reason would be if you're a loser and can't afford a good gun. :s0155:

I think you knew I was referring to the tried and true bolt action hunting rifles, and to someone who was just building a basic collection of guns. :s0155:

When I started out hunting, you had to pay a mint to get a bolt gun that accommodated my handicap (being left-handed). My only other real option because of price was a Savage 99. And I'd aver that if you're building a basic collection of guns, that's one rifle you'd want.

Besides my HAHAHAHAHAing, I actually have two .30-06' right now. I have my Garand and a naked remington .30-06' action that's getting a heavy barrel and probably a McMillan stock. I plan on buying another at the end of the week to build a scout rifle out of. I'd also like to get a sporterized 03' with a non-drilled and tapped receiver and a nice lyman peep sight. I think four or five .30-06' should be enough to start with.

The funny thing is that there are probably more deer still taken with the old 30-30 in the NW than most other calibers. So to think the 30-06 is not still popular is a mistake.

The ammo is easy to find and inexpensive, it will be around a lot longer than I will.:D

Now my 450 Marlin, thats a caliber that might not be around in 25 years or less.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top