JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've never done it. I just mounted a new set of Leupold rings, they have a very fine kinda cross hatching inside. If I lapped them, that surface would be altered forever. There is a very thin, transparent material called Ring True tape. You can use this to take up slack in a ring. Or to get a better grip on a tube that wants to get and stay loose. Or protect your valuable scope from ring scratching to the tube. I don't go all anal about scope mounting and I haven't ruined or wrecked one yet, never had one fall off.

I've laped aluminum and steel rings.
No, you don't ruin the aluminum ones.
If you're going to go that far, IMO, the alignment dowels are an excellent investment.
As with anything in life, when you're removing material, go slowly and check your work often. Being on the side of the fence where you didn't remove enough is a much better place to be, because it's a cliff on the other side.
Good luck.

Since I have the tools I lap.

I don't have self-aligning rings but I've wanted to try them.

From what I've seen no matter how great the product. The chance they're going to perfectly alighn mounted on a different manufacturers product is not good. My personal minimum is to check it. I've always ended up lapping my stuff but then I buy cheaper rings since I have the tools... kinda self fulfilling prophecy there...

Leupold steel rings for all of my scopes, other than picatinny rails. Yes, the optional wrench is worth every penny.

I set the scope in the bottom rings and shine a bright light from the opposite side. I f you don't see bleed through, you should be good to go if you torque the top rings down correctly.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top