JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I called ODFW and talked with their legal dept and asked this specific question when it came up a year or so ago. I was told that if you can legally own the silencer and it is legally registered to you etc. then they have no law against it being used for hunting.

SO as long as its a legal suppersor its legal to hunt any game animal or preditory animal (varmits) in Oregon.

I called ODFW and talked with their legal dept and asked this specific question when it came up a year or so ago. I was told that if you can legally own the silencer and it is legally registered to you etc. then they have no law against it being used for hunting.

SO as long as its a legal suppersor its legal to hunt any game animal or preditory animal (varmits) in Oregon.

This is Correct!^ Nothing in the synopsis say it is not either.

Not that it really matters much, but there wouldn't be any additional crime if you DID hunt with an illegally possessed sound suppressor.... the crime would still just be "Unlawful possession of machine guns, certain short-barreled firearms and firearms silencers."

I asked that same question to ODFW (Oregon Department of Failure and Waste) last year full well knowing it was legal to do so. That is to say there is nothing in the regulations prohibiting the use of a suppressor while hunting. They (ODFW) declined to answer my question about the legality of hunting with a suppressor and refered me to the Oregon State Police. I called and spoke with a desk seargant on duty and asked the question and he said it was not legal. I knew he was wrong, but wanted to educate him on the matter also. I thanked the desk seargant for the information and then asked for the specific Oregon Revised Statute number that specifically prohibited the use of a suppressor while hunting. He told me that he did not have that information and that he would call me back with an answer. The desk seargant called me back 2 days later and actually ate crow and told me that it is legal to use a suppressor while hunting in Oregon and that there was no statute on the books that currently prohibited the use of a legally owned suppressor while hunting. Props to him for calling me back and coming clean on his initial gut reaction incorrect response to my question.

It is legal in Oregon, but most enforcement officers apparently do not know this, it just seems wrong to them. I played dumb with the desk seargant so he could learn. It felt really good to induce this self education, hopefully he informs some of his fellow officers about this.

Suppressor laws in the U.S. are so ridiculous!
What about the possible hearing damage that animals are suffering from un-suppressed rifles?
Maybe the animal rights activists should look into this. :rolleyes:

Not much different than asking Sherriff's office if OK to sell a handgun to someone under 21 :)

I asked that same question to ODFW (Oregon Department of Failure and Waste) last year full well knowing it was legal to do so. That is to say there is nothing in the regulations prohibiting the use of a suppressor while hunting. They (ODFW) declined to answer my question about the legality of hunting with a suppressor and refered me to the Oregon State Police. I called and spoke with a desk seargant on duty and asked the question and he said it was not legal. I knew he was wrong, but wanted to educate him on the matter also. I thanked the desk seargant for the information and then asked for the specific Oregon Revised Statute number that specifically prohibited the use of a suppressor while hunting. He told me that he did not have that information and that he would call me back with an answer. The desk seargant called me back 2 days later and actually ate crow and told me that it is legal to use a suppressor while hunting in Oregon and that there was no statute on the books that currently prohibited the use of a legally owned suppressor while hunting. Props to him for calling me back and coming clean on his initial gut reaction incorrect response to my question.

It is legal in Oregon, but most enforcement officers apparently do not know this, it just seems wrong to them. I played dumb with the desk seargant so he could learn. It felt really good to induce this self education, hopefully he informs some of his fellow officers about this.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top