Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

is it legal to hunt with a silencer in Oregon?

Discussion in 'NFA Weapon Discussion' started by doomsday, Sep 18, 2012.

1. doomsday

doomsday COLTON OREGON Active Member

do you know

2. chase

chase Wilsonville, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Good question!

3. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

Look in your hunting regs. If there is no law against it then it is legal.

I know in WA was legal last year, have not seen the regs this year.

4. BDA.45

BDA.45 oregon Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

Yes. (Actually according to the people I spoke with at OSP it is illegal because silencers are illegal.... Idiots.)

5. Mark-60

Mark-60 Someplace near Hillsboro Active Member

Unless there is a ORS or OAR that forbids it, then it is legal. I've heard of a lot of people doing it and never heard of it being a problem. I've never seen a ORS that forbids it either.

6. nwwoodsman

nwwoodsman Vernonia Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer

Can I own a silencer

Can't rely on law enforcement to know the law

7. Ben Beckerich

Ben Beckerich NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

8. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I called ODFW and talked with their legal dept and asked this specific question when it came up a year or so ago. I was told that if you can legally own the silencer and it is legally registered to you etc. then they have no law against it being used for hunting.

SO as long as its a legal suppersor its legal to hunt any game animal or preditory animal (varmits) in Oregon.

9. blitz

blitz beaverton Active Member 2015 Volunteer

my roomate called odfw last year as well, it is indeed legal to hunt big game in oregon with a suppressor and illuminated scope.

10. Mason3379

Mason3379 Oregon City Active Member

This is Correct!^ Nothing in the synopsis say it is not either.

11. Ben Beckerich

Not that it really matters much, but there wouldn't be any additional crime if you DID hunt with an illegally possessed sound suppressor.... the crime would still just be "Unlawful possession of machine guns, certain short-barreled firearms and firearms silencers."

12. Greenbug

Greenbug Bend Well-Known Member

I asked that same question to ODFW (Oregon Department of Failure and Waste) last year full well knowing it was legal to do so. That is to say there is nothing in the regulations prohibiting the use of a suppressor while hunting. They (ODFW) declined to answer my question about the legality of hunting with a suppressor and refered me to the Oregon State Police. I called and spoke with a desk seargant on duty and asked the question and he said it was not legal. I knew he was wrong, but wanted to educate him on the matter also. I thanked the desk seargant for the information and then asked for the specific Oregon Revised Statute number that specifically prohibited the use of a suppressor while hunting. He told me that he did not have that information and that he would call me back with an answer. The desk seargant called me back 2 days later and actually ate crow and told me that it is legal to use a suppressor while hunting in Oregon and that there was no statute on the books that currently prohibited the use of a legally owned suppressor while hunting. Props to him for calling me back and coming clean on his initial gut reaction incorrect response to my question.

It is legal in Oregon, but most enforcement officers apparently do not know this, it just seems wrong to them. I played dumb with the desk seargant so he could learn. It felt really good to induce this self education, hopefully he informs some of his fellow officers about this.

doomsday and (deleted member) like this.
  13. skydiver

skydiver Sandy,OR Well-Known Member

Suppressor laws in the U.S. are so ridiculous!
    What about the possible hearing damage that animals are suffering from un-suppressed rifles?
    Maybe the animal rights activists should look into this. :rolleyes:

14. doomsday

doomsday COLTON OREGON Active Member

thanks all!!

15. iamme

iamme Lane County Well-Known Member

Not much different than asking Sherriff's office if OK to sell a handgun to someone under 21 :)

16. Ben Beckerich

You're right, if you're implying that the answer most people would give you is wrong

iamme and (deleted member) like this.
  17. iamme

iamme Lane County Well-Known Member

Ding ding ding :)