JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That is perfect thank you. I think the used market is probably pretty good on those two inch Alaskan only fired and dropped one time. I always wondered if they were for old boxers who got to enjoy getting punched in the head.
More like young ring-rats who don't know what it's like to get popped in the beak with a proper right jab yet, then followed up by a left cross and before the stars clear out, a couple kidney shots.

I have two X frame Smiths, one in 500 and the other in 460. Both have the longer 8 3/8 barrels though, kinda nose heavy but really gets the bullets moving in the last few inches. My good friend has a Smith X frame in 460 with the 4" barrel. That thing is probably my favorite gun to shoot! If you hunt with it you can cook the meat while killing it using the massive fireball when fired!

I've never seen another 2 tone like this 20220221_103139.jpg

More like young ring-rats who don't know what it's like to get popped in the beak with a proper right jab yet, then followed up by a left cross and before the stars clear out, a couple kidney shots.
Call me a special kind of stupid, but the only time I'd ever need to fire one of these in self defense would be in a very dire circumstance in which I'd want absolutely no barrel in the way, and I'd be gripping onto the thing for dear life. Sure, a bigger barrel gets better range, but we're not taking about bear hunting.

Call me a special kind of stupid, but the only time I'd ever need to fire one of these in self defense would be in a very dire circumstance in which I'd want absolutely no barrel in the way, and I'd be gripping onto the thing for dear life. Sure, a bigger barrel gets better range, but we're not taking about bear hunting.
In normal circumstances of self defense I would mostly agree. But for for me I can't hit anything with a two inch barrel any farther I can reach out and touch it and I'm not really exaggerating if I don't discover the bear until it is that close I'm dead anyway. The second thing without ear protection, for me, it is disorienting to shoot revolvers with that kind of power. It feels similar to being punched in the ear. It's as least as bad as someone touching off a shotgun beside your head in a duck blind. That is why I looking for something around 5 inches which I can shoot that length pretty well or head shot at 25 yards consistently anyway. The problem I am really looking at is availability at that length.

Taurus: No. As is widely said "Friends don't recommend friends buy a Taurus." Quality control stinks. There can be good ones. If yours is a bad one they may never fix it. They may just hold it a few months and send it back pretending they fixed it. Or they may say they can't fix it and are out of stock on new ones but offer you a cheaper completely different gun as a replacement. Since they aren't in USA you have no recourse.

The Ruger Super Redhawk 7.5" .454 Casull is nicely balanced. So is mine, "Thumper", who is a 9.5" .44. For your situation I would go for the SRHK, not the SW 460.

1) The SRHK has 6 rounds. The 460 has only 5.

2) The 7.5" SRHK in .454 Casull weighs only 52 oz. A 6" Colt Anaconda in only .44 weighs 53 oz. An 8.38" 460 weighs 72 oz. And its much bulkier, too. Even a 460 5" still weighs 60.4 oz. Its just way more weight and bulk than needed to shoot .454 Casull.

3) The SRHK is glorious to scope. It comes with scope rings. Scope with rings can be easily removed or put back on without affecting back sight. The scope can be positioned so that the eyepiece projects over back end of the frame for optimum eye relief. So with a scope a SRHK is a superb longer distance handgun hunting gun. To scope the SW 460 you need to take the back sight off. So you are likely to use it as a scoped gun or an unscoped gun, not both. With the SRHK you can just carry the unscoped pistol for SD, but have the option of hunting with it if your rifle breaks. Or if you want to do some handgun hunting.

4) My SRHK has a nice crisp SA trigger pull. Its a little bit heavier than a typical big smith, but isnt objectionable. The DA is a seriously heavier than is typical of a big SW, but is nice and smooth. Workable for SD.

If you go to the Ruger website and fill out the search box you'll get info as to where to get them now. For the 7.5" SRHK in .454 Casull, they say Gallery Gun, Gearfire, Gunbroker, Guns.com, The Shooting Store. I'm only familiar with Gunbroker. I looked up the 7.5" Casull at gunbroker. They do indeed have one guy selling them new in box with rings for $1,075. That's a good price for a new SRHK.

Well ... although I have read your criteria is .454 Casull / .45 Colt, Gotta throw this out in case you may be interested...

I don't have no .454 Casull (.460, etc). Just .45 Colt. Ruger Blackhawk, single action stuff which I really enjoy. Got a couple of them that I had to obtain recently 'cause of 114 and such. Note the Ruger can handle some stiff loads which you're likely aware of. Buffalo Bore & Underwood offer reasonably awesome loads. Although unable to chamber .454 Casull, perhaps a look.

As @Tlock mentioned, chest rigs can be very functional. Although I am aware of the company he used, I am a leather guy. I have two rigs from Diamond D Leather in Wasilla, AK. Their 'Guides Choice'. I have zero experience with the rig for the Ruger BH as it is new, my other is for a Ruger SR1911 which carries extremely well although is a much lighter weapon. The price difference between the two companies is certainly worth considering (kydex vs. leather).

Should you ever consider a Ruger in .45 Colt here's a couple of articles that may be worth a read:

Finally, my latest... It's a convertible, so for cheaper trigger time ... .45 ACP. Best of luck on your search / decision.

Ruger Blackhawk Bisley Conv. 45 LC  45 ACP - L.JPG

In normal circumstances of self defense I would mostly agree. But for for me I can't hit anything with a two inch barrel any farther I can reach out and touch it and I'm not really exaggerating if I don't discover the bear until it is that close I'm dead anyway. The second thing without ear protection, for me, it is disorienting to shoot revolvers with that kind of power. It feels similar to being punched in the ear. It's as least as bad as someone touching off a shotgun beside your head in a duck blind. That is why I looking for something around 5 inches which I can shoot that length pretty well or head shot at 25 yards consistently anyway. The problem I am really looking at is availability at that length.
Ruger has produced a 5" Super Redhawk as a Talo distributor special. Sounds like that is exactly what you want. Its model 05517.

Under the model search it says to buy go to Gearfire, Gunbroker.com, or Guns.com. I checked gunbroker and there are none available right now. Not familiar with the other two. You might email or call the small handful of shops at gunbroker selling 7.5" SRHK casulls and ask if they ever get any of the 5". One of those shops must at least work with Talo , the distributor. Also check out the other two if you know enough about them to feel confident in them. (I dont.)

Ruger has produced a 5" Super Redhawk as a Talo distributor special. Sounds like that is exactly what you want. Its model 05517.

Under the model search it says to buy go to Gearfire, Gunbroker.com, or Guns.com. I checked gunbroker and there are none available right now. Not familiar with the other two. You might email or call the small handful of shops at gunbroker selling 7.5" SRHK casulls and ask if they ever get any of the 5". One of those shops must at least work with Talo , the distributor. Also check out the other two if you know enough about them to feel confident in them. (I dont.)
Thank you

Well ... although I have read your criteria is .454 Casull / .45 Colt, Gotta throw this out in case you may be interested...

I don't have no .454 Casull (.460, etc). Just .45 Colt. Ruger Blackhawk, single action stuff which I really enjoy. Got a couple of them that I had to obtain recently 'cause of 114 and such. Note the Ruger can handle some stiff loads which you're likely aware of. Buffalo Bore & Underwood offer reasonably awesome loads. Although unable to chamber .454 Casull, perhaps a look.

As @Tlock mentioned, chest rigs can be very functional. Although I am aware of the company he used, I am a leather guy. I have two rigs from Diamond D Leather in Wasilla, AK. Their 'Guides Choice'. I have zero experience with the rig for the Ruger BH as it is new, my other is for a Ruger SR1911 which carries extremely well although is a much lighter weapon. The price difference between the two companies is certainly worth considering (kydex vs. leather).

Should you ever consider a Ruger in .45 Colt here's a couple of articles that may be worth a read:

Finally, my latest... It's a convertible, so for cheaper trigger time ... .45 ACP. Best of luck on your search / decision.

View attachment 1737203
Thank you, I was thinking this exactly until a few days ago. Also, thank you for the article links, I did not know there were small frame Blackhawks and that seems like safety knowledge that should be more well known. I really like single action revolvers, in fact my favorite gun to shoot ,that I own, is a cap and ball revolver. I was thinking an old vaquero earlier because it's a Blackhawk with rounded edges until I handled some double action smiths they just fit my hand and balance so much better. I have an 1872 open top cimarron on order at the moment that I was going to load with 40 grains of 3f swiss black powder which is supposed to give velocities on 255 grain Keith bullets at slightly over 1000 fps. But as you said, If I want any kind of smokeless +P I would need a Ruger frame. So I was looking at Blackhawks the problem I have with them is they are quite front heavy I have had one I am aware they are a very good revolver, I was thinking about getting some of the large rubber grips and then putting a weight at the bottom of the grip. So, to me it is an option but I thought I would check other people's recommendations since I am not near as familiar with double action revolvers.

I can't speak to the Taurus or x frame Smith. I have shot both but only one cylinder full of each in someone else's guns. I will say both of those guns and the Ruger Super Redhawk that I owned were too much of a good thing. All three had 7 1/2" barrels and were massive and heavy. Two hands only heavy. Maybe shorter barrels would lighten them up to were you could draw and fire accurately one handed. I don't know. The single action Blackhawks can buck a bit in heavier calibers because of the plowshare grip. A Houge rubber grip helps quite a bit here. Or get a Bisley Blackhawk. My personal favorite in this class of firearms is a Standard Redhawk in 44 Mag with a 71/2" barrel. It's about as big as I can draw and fire accurately one handed and carry it in a cross draw holster. I shoot a 300gr TC bullet at 1300 fps and can hit a 5 gallon propane tank at 100 yds. Good enough for me and what's around here but I'm not planing on Alaska.

At one point I did have a 480 Ruger and made ammo for it. I made a couple extra boxes to sell at gun shows but in 6 months didn't sell any. I ended up trading off the whole kit and kaboodle, and haven't looked back.

I am looking for a bear/moose defensive handgun with a barrel length between 4 and 7 and half inches that can shoot 454 Casull. I like how the balance and feel of smith and Wesson revolvers. But I am not familiar with the X frame they look very large and cumbersome. I also have no desire to shoot 460 magnum out of a handgun so I would only be running 45 colt and 454 out of it. The Taurus is the least expensive and most available and I have no experience with it. Any feedback would be appreciated. I am also located around Scio that commutes to Eugene so any suggestions where I can go and look at some of these revolvers would be appreciated
Maybe best choice ruger 454 tolcot. Number 1 in Alaska choice. 5.5 inch barrel. You are hunting Alaska?

454 tokat ruger? I think about $1500. Or 44 magnum with +p+ ammo comes close to 454. I have Ruger Super Blackhawk stainless in 44 7.5" and 4 5/8"; both wonderful and accurate. The 7.5" is a good hunter. There is a SBH 7.5" Hunter model as well.

Last Edited:
Maybe best choice ruger 454 tolcot. Number 1 in Alaska choice. 5.5 inch barrel. You are hunting Alaska?
The Tolcot would definitely be my first choice but I may end up getting a 7and half inch barrel based on availability. Yes, I am going to hunt and fish Alaska and looking very seriously into living and working there. I don't see much future in Oregon anymore.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top