JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
10 MM revolvers can or can not work with a 40 cal?
Okay, some people say yes, some people say no. I'm in the "no" camp. The 10mm Auto chamber is not like a .357 Magnum chamber. Specifically, the 10mm Auto headspaces on the mouth of the case, and at that point in the chamber, there is a sharpish edge. If you shoot a .40 S&W in the longer 10mm Auto chamber, it's possible that the bullet will nick or shave this sharp edge on it's way out. An idea, which maybe not catastrophic in results both as to pressure and accuracy, doesn't agree with me. The .357 Magnum chamber is ramped, so a .38 Special projectile fired in same doesn't have anything to catch on.

Having said the above, I've read numerous posts from owners of Smith & Wesson 610's who say they've fired .40 S&W in their 10mm Auto revolvers.

The Ruger SA revolvers made for .40 S&W, I've seen a couple of different versions. One was the Vaquero stainless steel furnished with two cylinders, one in .40 S&W and the other in .38-40. The other I just remembered was I think a Blackhawk, I believe a special made for Davidson's, and it came with two cylinders, a .10mm Auto and a .40 S&W. Like the special editions they made with two cylinders, one in .45 ACP and another in .45 Colt. Not germane to this post, but the Davidson's specials also came in a .32 H&R Mag / .32-20 Win. set. And maybe others that I don't know about. Ruger has made a lot of semi-weird stuff over the years to drive collectors crazy.

I had two of the Vaqueros in .40 S&W / .38-40. I don't know that I ever fired either one with the .40 cylinder, my interest was in the .38-40 angle. Which before I owned these, I'd always thought was a clunky cartridge. But it turned out that both of these guns in .38-40 were very nice shooters.

Over the years, I've had many different 32 caliber revolvers. For a long time, I wanted one of those Ruger sets with the .32 H&R / .32-20 Win. cylinders but it was never to be.

There are people who prefer it, I don't think it will fade away entirely.
An example is 10MM, it had faded in preference for many people and now seems to be enjoying a popularity it did not have a decade ago.

I ended up with a G23. Not throwing it away. Buy more...perhaps not.
I had one of those, for a while. I have a G19 already and the G23 came along at a very attractive price, so I thought, "Why not?" It was okay, and although I am fairly proficient with the 9mm G19, the G23 had a bit more snap to it than I liked so I found a new home for it.

Another .40 S&W handgun that I owned was a Springfield Armory Linkless 1911. It was a very nice shooting gun, and as a 1911, it had plenty of heft to make for comfortable shooting. I didn't realize it at the time, but these were very rare guns, the Linkless. They were made in 10mm Auto as well, but the .40's were fewer. I believe the upper parts were made in Germany. I've read online that there was some kind of patent dispute involved with the design and that was the reason Springfield Armory discontinued them. I don't know the truth of that, though.

Colt made 1911's in .40 S&W at one time. About 15 years ago, I saw a stainless 1911 Colt offered at one of the WAC gun shows. The seller wanted $500 and at the time, I thought it was too much money. But I think Colts in this cartridge are not common.

To go back to the OP's question "What's Next"? I just bought a Gen 4 G-32 in 357 Sig and have a drop in barrel in that caliber for my M&P 40 Shield. After load development and testing I'll be adding that caliber to my line up of ammo. Right now my first impressions are that it's a fun zippy cartridge and kicks less than 40 S&W in the same platform. So that might be something to consider. Another in between caliber you might look at is the 38 Super. Basically it's a 9mm bullet in a 45 acp length case. Not quite as zippy as a 357 Sig but still more than a 9mm. I don't know why Glock doesn't make a gun in this caliber but they should.

The correct number of guns is just one more.

I like 9mm for target shooting at paper and steel particularly in my CZ but do think for my personal protection 40 or now 357 Sig is a better choice.
That's pretty much where I'm at. I had a few 9's for years... really only used them as plinkers, trainers or a small backup... eventually sold/gave them all away so I liquidated all the ammo stores as well. For years I never missed a one of them but I did eventually, and a little begrudgingly, start to reacquire some 9's. Really only plinkers again though and I don't stock ammo SHTF deep.

Some of it might just be where an individuals comfort level falls and what they have confidence in when it comes to SD. I make no apologies for my 40's. :s0155:

This thread makes me want to bust out the 40 and go to the range :D
THIS, is exactly what crossed my mind when I stared reading! I'll always appreciate my CZ-SP01 in .40 cal. And the fact I've got a butt-load of .40 brass and 155gr JHPs, I'll always enjoy accurate shooting in that all steel gun.
9mm = Blasé.

I haven't seen a lot of .40 caliber ammo on store shelves...
However all that really means is that I haven't seen it...in my area.

In regards to buying a new firearm....
I would suggest that you buy what you like and want...as opposed to buying something because of an upcoming ban or law.
There will always be a upcoming ban or law....and I would rather own what I actually like , versus getting something that will be banned...just for the sake of having it before it is outlawed.
Andy

The .40 S&W is "dying out" the same way the the .38 Special "died out".

Go back a few decades, and the .38 Special was the king of handgun cartridges, at least as far as popularity. It was everywhere, on the hips of police and security guards across the country. With the wholesale switch to autos over the years, .38 popularity took a massive hit. It "died off" in a big way.

It's still very much alive though, and just as good as it ever was, very much like the .40 S&W will continue to be.