JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So a few days ago I had to go to the Sacred Heart Medical Center, Spokane WA for those that don't know. On all of the buildings there was this sign on at least the main doors,

2013-01-16_09-05-18_274_zps78e90381.jpg

I know the first part is worthless.

I know the second part is meaningless in legal terms. First there is no "RCW" quoted under it so there is no way it can have the law behind it. Second it is private property so IF you are "caught" carrying the worst thing they can do is ask you to leave.

The question I have is on the third section. My thought is that they have NO legal right to search you or your stuff since it is private. My thought is that of course if you refuse to search that worst they can do is ask you to leave.

Any comments?

Private entities can do these types of things since your being there is not a right. The worst they can do in any of the circumstances is ask you to leave. I think most hospitals have these signs.

I did not say they could not do it. It is private property and they can post any RULE they want, just as I can on my land/property. That was not the question though.

The question was do they have any legal right to search you if you refuse? I believe the answer is no, but when it comes to law KNOWING is a must.

The question I have is on the third section. My thought is that they have NO legal right to search you or your stuff since it is private. My thought is that of course if you refuse to search that worst they can do is ask you to leave.

Any comments?

The Fourth Amendment generally allows people to be free from unreasonable searches and seizures but this is applicable to government and its agents like police and
not private security.

A security guard has no legal authority or power to search you and is an invasion of privacy you can sue the hospital for this also holding you for police may constitute false imprisonment

Carry laws in Oregon grant no exception or power to owners to restrict CC in hospitals or other public common areas and there are no penalties for you doing.

Side note, If a police officer ever ask to search you or your property you should always refuse and you should never answer questions.

Private entities can do these types of things since your being their is not a right. The worst they can do in any of the circumstances is ask you to leave. I think most hospitals have these signs.

Hmmmmmm, makes you wonder now that Obama has made health care a "right". :)

All of the comments are what I though and exactly how I approached the situation. There are VERY few places I don't carry. Just wanted to make sure I was right.

The ONLY time I leave my weapon in my car safe is going into the US Post Office or a Federal building. Those are where you get into big trouble. I have heard stories of banks with metal detectors, but the keys in my pocket weigh more than my conceal weapon. I carry a lot of keys!
Otherwise that is why they call it concealed. If it stays concealed it is there if I need it and I will not allow anyone to cause me to disarm myself. I am extra careful in private businesses with signs, but that is as far as I go.

^ I am confused about your comment on banks. I am not sure about OR law but I know Federally and in WA it is not illegal to carry in a bank. If I had a bank that I could not carry in they would not be my bank........

Although misguided, the purpose behind those signs is the mistaken idea that gangbangers will comply and not seek retribution in the hospital. They're hopeing that hosptals won't become battlefelds after a street shootlng.

The ONLY time I leave my weapon in my car safe is going into the US Post Office or a Federal building. Those are where you get into big trouble. I have heard stories of banks with metal detectors, but the keys in my pocket weigh more than my conceal weapon. I carry a lot of keys!
Otherwise that is why they call it concealed. If it stays concealed it is there if I need it and I will not allow anyone to cause me to disarm myself. I am extra careful in private businesses with signs, but that is as far as I go.

You CAN carry in a post office as long as it is done while doing other legal things like walking down the sidewalk carrying. Or driving your car carrying.
I did ask a lawyer that frequents the local gun shop this.
Open carry may get you more attention than you want,but it is perfectly legal to carry your side arm in a legal manner and for legal purposes.
Sorry can't find that link right now.

So a few days ago I had to go to the Sacred Heart Medical Center, Spokane WA for those that don't know. On all of the buildings there was this sign on at least the main doors,

2013-01-16_09-05-18_274_zps78e90381.jpg

I know the first part is worthless.

I know the second part is meaningless in legal terms. First there is no "RCW" quoted under it so there is no way it can have the law behind it. Second it is private property so IF you are "caught" carrying the worst thing they can do is ask you to leave.

Any comments?

Actually, Sacred Heart is a private medical center. Yes, they can post, and they can tell you to leave when you ignore the sign. If you do not leave it is tresspass, not weapons. If they request to search you, you can refuse, but they can also refuse to treat you.

I got North Valley Hospital in Tonasket to remove their signs, but they are a rural hospital district, are public, and are operated under RCW 70.44. Their legal council said yep, he is correct, take the signs down. They did.

Well even the Post Office does not have a sign, ignorance of the law... I have heard both sides with the Post Office, but in our safety class we were told Federal land and buildings were off limits for carry. I have always carried in banks, have not yet found a bank with a no carry sign. The story is a Key Bank in the Thurston area had a sign and an inner door system with detectors that would lock you in if you walked through it with a weapon. Never did find out if that was true or not.
I have even read, maybe in this venue, someone who very strongly believed that it is illegal to carry in a public school in Oregon. That of course is not true.
So far I rarely disarm anywhere anytime, but if they can't see it, is it there? Most businesses do not make a big thing about carry on their property, so neither do I, but if they do make a big deal about it, most likely I just will not do business with them.
So what about gun shows? They have signs about no guns under any circumstances except law enforcement. The last show I went to I carried anyway, and I'm afraid to ask the person at the door because if they said no I would have to leave.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top