JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Got this from Senator Jeff Wilson in my neck of the woods. Hopefully it'll help a few of you.

Dear John,

I wanted to let you know about what is happening in this new legislative session regarding guns, gun rights and regulations for firearms owners.

Less than a week ago, Governor Inslee made it clear in his "State of the State" speech that limiting firearms is one of his top priorities.

(hear his remarks here: https://www.tvw.org/watch/?clientID=9375922947&eventID=2023011048&startStreamAt=4280 )

A batch of bills regulating and limiting firearms rights has been introduced, and below you can see a list of them so far.

I oppose any further limitations on Second Amendment rights. I will work and vote against these ongoing attempts to limit the freedom our citizens have to look after their own safety.

Tomorrow, January 17th​, the first of the bills will receive hearings in the appropriate committees of the Senate and House. There will be ongoing votes and opportunities to comment on these bills in the next two months.

To act now, you can use the links below to participate in the legislative process. Your voice makes a difference! You can simply leave a comment on the bill for the record, or you can speak out at the committee meeting in person or online.

What: Senate Law and Justice Committee
When: January 17, 2023
Time: 10:30 AM

SB 5078
Firearm industry duties - empowers the Attorney General to sue manufacturers, sales outlets, marketing firms or others who might have a role in firearms which are misused.
Summary https://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/bien...s/Senate/5078 SBA LAW 23.pdf?q=20230116161825

Instructions: To sign up to testify regarding these bills or to submit written testimony on this legislation, click on this link and follow the directions below:
1. Select "Law & Justice" in the "Committee" box.

2. Select "01/17/23 10:30 AM in the "Meetings" box.

3. Select "SB 5078" under "Select agenda item."

4. Select either written testimony or sign up to testify virtually under "Select type of testimony."

5. Fill out registration page.

What: House Civil Rights and Judiciary Committee
When: January 17, 2023
Time: 10:30 a.m.

HB 1178 Firearms/local government
– allows local governments to adopt rules which are more strict than state law.
Summary: https://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/bien...ts/House/1178 HBA CRJ 23.pdf?q=20230116162429

HB 1240 Firearms/assault weapons - mostly banning "assault weapons"
Summary: https://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/bien...ts/House/1240 HBA CRJ 23.pdf?q=20230116164915

HB 1143
Firearms/purchase & transfer - requiring a permit to purchase firearms, firearms safety training, and a 10-day waiting period, prohibiting firearms transfers prior to completion of a background check, and updating and creating consistency in firearms transfer and background check procedures
Summary: https://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/bien...ts/House/1143 HBA CRJ 23.pdf?q=20230116165102

HB 1144
Firearms/purchase & transfer - establishing a 10-day waiting period, requiring firearms safety training, prohibiting firearms transfers prior to completion of a background check, and updating and creating consistency in firearms transfer and background check procedures
Summary: https://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/bien...ts/House/1144 HBA CRJ 23.pdf?q=20230116165129

To sign up to testify regarding these bills or to submit written testimony, click on this link and follow the directions below:
1. Select "Civil Rights & Judiciary" in the "Committee" box.

2. Select "01/17/23 10:30 AM" in the "Meetings" box.

3. Select the following bills "HB 1178, HB 1143, HB 1144, and HB 1240" under "Select agenda item." You can participate on all!

4. Select either written testimony or sign up to testify virtually under "Select type of testimony."

5. Fill out registration page.

This is the first set of bills that we will be hearing in committees on the subject this session, but probably not all of the bills which might be moved forward. I will do my best to keep you informed on these important issues.

If you have questions, please do not hesitate to call my office: (360) 786-7636. I am honored represent your concerns in the state legislature over the next few years, so please continue to let me know what you think.

Be kind, be safe!

Senator Jeff Wilson, 19th​ District

Washington State Senate

Irv Newhouse Building, Room 109-B

PO Box 40419

Olympia, WA 98504

(360) 786-7636

[email protected]

Let me know your email preferences, and for more regular updates here is my E-Newsletter sign up

SENATOR JEFF WILSON UPDATE ON BILLS PERTAINING TO FIREARMS
Chamber
Bill
Title
Status
Date of Last Action
Status
HouseHB 1143Firearms/purchase & transferH Civil R & Judi1/9/2023Hearing Tuesday 16th, 10:30
HouseHB 1144Firearms/purchase & transferH Civil R & Judi1/9/2023Hearing Tuesday 16th, 10:30
HouseHB 1178Firearms/local governmentH Civil R & Judi1/9/2023Hearing Tuesday 16th, 10:30
HouseHB 1180Firearms/assault weaponsH Civil R & Judi1/9/2023
HouseHB 1195Weapons/parks & hospitalsH Civil R & Judi1/10/2023
HouseHB 1240Firearms/assault weaponsH Civil R & Judi1/11/2023Hearing Tuesday 16th, 10:30
HouseSB 5006Waiver of firearm rightsS Law & Justice1/9/2023
SenateSB 5049Firearm theftS Law & Justice1/9/2023
SenateSB 5078Firearm industry dutiesS Law & Justice1/9/2023Hearing Tuesday 16th, 10:30
SenateSB 5193Firearms/assault weaponsS Law & Justice1/9/2023
SenateSB 5211Firearms/purchase & transferS Law & Justice1/9/2023
SenateSB 5232Firearms/purchase & transferS Law & Justice1/10/2023
SenateSB 5265Firearms/assault weaponsS Law & Justice1/11/2023
Look up bill information at https://app.leg.wa.gov/billsummary
If you have any questions about any of these bills, feel free to call me at (360) 786-7636

I have signed in with a con on the assault weapons ban bill as all have done in this thread. I believe this is a complete assault on our constitutional rights. But what gets me,
1-Do we all believe we can win this once and for all?
2-Why are all the conservatives and lawful gun owners having to defend their rights annually?
3-Why do we believe they will do as the will of the voters anyway? It never stopped them in the past.
Is there any way we can get a law on the books that no changes can be made for 5 years or whatever is decided on any one issue? What it comes down to is we need to learn how to vote for our elected officials, and be vigilant to take your ballot to the collection boxes. Don't trust the system that the ones we would like to vote out have designed. It is designed to get their desired results. They want us to all be criminals so we cannot legally own the firearm. I will continue with the letter writing and signing in to voice my opinion on the issues, but man this is getting old every January. Lets do our homework come voting time and maybe we can slow or stop this crap. I'm tired of defense and would like to play offence sometime? -K

I have signed in with a con on the assault weapons ban bill as all have done in this thread. I believe this is a complete assault on our constitutional rights. But what gets me,
2-Why are all the conservatives and lawful gun owners having to defend their rights annually?
3-Why do we believe they will do as the will of the voters anyway? It never stopped them in the past.
Is there any way we can get a law on the books that no changes can be made for 5 years or whatever is decided on any one issue? What it comes down to is we need to learn how to vote for our elected officials, and be vigilant to take your ballot to the collection boxes. Don't trust the system that the ones we would like to vote out have designed. It is designed to get their desired results. They want us to all be criminals so we cannot legally own the firearm. I will continue with the letter writing and signing in to voice my opinion on the issues, but man this is getting old every January. Lets do our homework come voting time and maybe we can slow or stop this crap. I'm tired of defense and would like to play offence sometime?
There's no such thing as winning against gun control "once and for all" because nothing persists more than a bad idea. There will always be someone who thinks taking guns away solves problems, regardless of facts to the contrary. They may not follow the will of the people, but it's our responsibility as gun owners and 2nd Amendment advocates to make our will known because silence is the same as voting yes.

This isn't the first time, third time, or even the fifth time bills like this have been introduced in WA. They can be stopped, they have been stopped in the past. But it takes many voices. Thank you for your voice.

Is there any way we can get a law on the books that no changes can be made for 5 years or whatever is decided on any one issue? What it comes down to is we need to learn how to vote for our elected officials, and be vigilant to take your ballot to the collection boxes. Don't trust the system that the ones we would like to vote out have designed. It is designed to get their desired results. They want us to all be criminals so we cannot legally own the firearm. I will continue with the letter writing and signing in to voice my opinion on the issues, but man this is getting old every January. Lets do our homework come voting time and maybe we can slow or stop this crap. I'm tired of defense and would like to play offence sometime? -K
All good questions, and there are no good answers, unfortunately. :s0118:

I oppose any further limitations on Second Amendment rights. I will work and vote against these ongoing attempts to limit the freedom our citizens have to look after their own safety
Does this mean that he is/was ok with the previous garbage laws against firearms?

Jack

p.s. Not a Washington resident.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top