JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
In a couple other threads about the rally and Elvis, it seemed like there was some interest in people getting together and being more active. I've been thinking about it this weekend and figures "what the heck". Especially when I see the gun-control advocates have their little get-together to organize (I promise, no paper doll cutting!).

So is there any interest in the Hillsboro/Beaverton area of Portland for a get together of our own? At least on a regular basis till this short Salem legislative session is over with. I figure keeping busy for a month with this issue would be worth it if it helps to stop SB1551. At the very least it would be a trial/learning run for the future :). I think I can put together an agenda to keep us on track for objectives and action that would be agreeable, instead of just spending the time talking about the other side.

One Library I looked at near the hillsboro airport has some conference rooms that can be reserved. They are a bit small (8-12 people) but it would be a start, and other libraries might have bigger rooms.

Is there interest out there for this side of Portland? If it goes well, maybe we can share and help other groups get started in other parts of Portand/Oregon. Lets see a show of hands!

I think this is a great idea. State Representative Tobias Read holds a regular constituent coffee at Ava Roasteria's Conference and Catering Center. I've never attended but thought it would be a good place to question him and hear his thoughts on 2nd Amendment rights.

In a couple other threads about the rally and Elvis, it seemed like there was some interest in people getting together and being more active. I've been thinking about it this weekend and figures "what the heck". Especially when I see the gun-control advocates have their little get-together to organize (I promise, no paper doll cutting!).

So is there any interest in the Hillsboro/Beaverton area of Portland for a get together of our own? At least on a regular basis till this short Salem legislative session is over with. I figure keeping busy for a month with this issue would be worth it if it helps to stop SB1551. At the very least it would be a trial/learning run for the future :). I think I can put together an agenda to keep us on track for objectives and action that would be agreeable, instead of just spending the time talking about the other side.

One Library I looked at near the hillsboro airport has some conference rooms that can be reserved. They are a bit small (8-12 people) but it would be a start, and other libraries might have bigger rooms.

Is there interest out there for this side of Portland? If it goes well, maybe we can share and help other groups get started in other parts of Portand/Oregon. Lets see a show of hands!

I'm in Beaverton. Maybe others can form small groups as you have suggest. Maybe there is a way to excluded confederates or keep the game plan private. I'm in.

Organization invites sent.

I'm in Beaverton. Maybe others can form small groups as you have suggest. Maybe there is a way to excluded confederates or keep the game plan private. I'm in.

Good idea. I assume we are all busy and want to make the best use of our time and energy. So I have a couple opinions for some guidelines:

1: Sorry Elvis and confederate members, but our focus is strictly advocating for the big 2A.
Why: distractions, distractions, distractions. I want to make the most use of my time. If you want to talk about something other than 2A, there are other rooms to reserve.

2: No discussion about the merits of open carry at rallies!
Why: Read the threads on this forum. :s0112:

3: Stick to 2A politics.
Why: 2A defenders cross completely different political lines than day-to-day politics. We are all on the same team so if it isn't 2A related I'd rather not alienate friends and allies when we should be working together by distracting conversations unrelated to defending the 2A. Combine and conquer should be the path.

We can discuss, but my general theme is that I would hope to be able to show up and have objectives to work towards so we don't end up just sitting around jabbing and jawing about this and that. Jabbing and jawing are what post-meeting beer summits at the local McMenamins are for :s0155:

All right; I'm in Aloha.

I agree that our focus should be 2A, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't or mustn't spin off related topics that the majority agree are relevant. I went to a meeting a year and a half ago of "The Liberal Gun Club" in Portland, and it was a hoot. Turns out there are many reasons why people might be scared off by the GOP but still be 2A supporters - like the lesbians whose gun collections put mine to shame! There were technical presentations on things like industrial production of solvents from biological sources, some of which are excellent bore cleaners. Stuff like that: your personal area of interest that might rouse the curiosity of the rest of us. In other words, not just politics. Otherwise it amounts to little more than people poking holes in the air with their fingers. IMO.
The Liberal Gun Club

Let's not waste time slinging mud; it's just a divisive tactic that keeps us from focusing on the real threats to our Constitutionally guaranteed freedoms. I prefer to believe that most everybody chooses a candidate or party like they check out the stalls in a public toilet, looking for the one that's the least disgusting. Other people have different parameters, but nobody's really ecstatic about their guy. So we can forgo the usual vilification of the "enemy," since it serves no purpose.

What's the positive goal? Letter-writing campaigns to legislators aren't effective, unless a check is included in each one. I for one don't want to stand in front of a building in Salem for a photo-op. We could find sympathetic journalists and offer to do some research legwork for them, helping them to frame the debates. But what exactly do y'all have in mind?

That Liberal Gun Club meeting had just such a blogger in attendance, and she wrote an aptly named article about it:
Carpooling to the Gun Range - Held to answerHeld to answer

We held our first meeting tonight and had a good discussion. All we really ended up using were a couple of pads of paper, a few pens, and some sticky notes.

We discussed a variety of topics, but we made sure we kept our eye on the immediate short-term goal of fighting SB 1551. Good ideas for later where shelved until after hearings/February. When we have our next get-together, we expect the group to be a lot bigger.

One of our goals is to help create and encourage other mini groups in other areas of the state/city. The hardest part was reserving the room to meet at.
So if you have questions about starting your own group, please feel free to PM.

Another goal is to challenge others to get the word out. This Sunday might (depending on the crowd) be a good time to do just that. Half-time get your laptop or paper/pen out and start writing. When they ask what your up to, let them know! Especially if your using your laptop, show them how easy it is to go to the Oregon legislature site, find your rep, and send a message before 1/2 time is over.

Legislator Lookup

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads