JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My stepdad recently passed away and has divided his gun collection up between my nephew, my brother and I. He didn't have a gun trust written up by a lawyer, just a hand written list of who gets what guns.

As far as I can tell from the law, my brother and I shouldn't run into any issues since step-parent/stepchildren are on the list of acceptable family members to transfer guns to without getting an FFL/background checks involved. However, my nephew isn't a blood relative to my stepdad, so of course that relationship technically isn't on that list.

My nephew would pass a background check with flying colors so it wouldn't be the end of the world to go through the FFL route - we'd just like to avoid it.

Please let me know what route we should take (maybe a knowledgeable lawyer recommendation?).

Thanks

You can inherit a firearm and gift it to your nephew in order to fulfill your father's wishes.

Who is the executor of the estate? They control who gets what, the will just indicates what the deceased wished to happen.

Also, I think an inherited firearm doesn't need a BGC regardless of who inherits it:

The requirements of subsections (2) and (3) of this section do not apply to:

The transfer of a firearm that occurs because of the death of the firearm owner, provided that:

(A)

The transfer is conducted or facilitated by a personal representative, as defined in ORS 111.005 (Definitions for probate law), or a trustee of a trust created in a will; and

(B)

The transferee is related to the deceased firearm owner in a manner specified in paragraph (c) of this subsection.

IANAL and this is not legal advice

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads