JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Great job Bill. That tire in the back seat looks iffy. Time for a bigger truck. Guy at work always says "If you are going to go, Go BIG"
There were 4 tires in the back seat! I didn't have a rope and couldn't see leaving any behind, so, I improvised!

Thanks Craig. I saw your nice cleanup work in the 3 bags thread. Good job!

The Amazon Smile program is a cool option for those who shop Amazon. It's the same shopping experience as the regular Amazon but benefits the charity of your choice every time you shop. So guess which one I chose? Ha!

Here's an option for one charity needing to build steam in the funding department... Trash No Land! For those who would like to support responsible shooting on public lands and help build a strong representation of gun owner stewardship of our forests, I would appreciate your help! smile.amazon.com/ch/82-0911445

If Amazon Smile is not right for you, there are several other ways to support public land shooting are listed on our website 'Donation' page: Stewardship in Recreational Shoo

Thanks,
Bill

Not sure where to post this but this kind of thing drives me crazy and gets public shooting areas shut down.

If you look at the top of the hill toward the middle you will see my 18 yr-old son. The large tree just to the right of my son had a large bullseye target place next to it on the top of the berm. He has just taken it down.

20191011_095645.jpg

20191011_095654.jpg

Just behind the rocks he is standing on is this ...

Yep a dedicated walking / equestrian trail! :eek::eek::eek:

Resized_20191011_095635_7680.jpeg.jpg

At this spot if you keep your targets low and shoot toward the berm there is no danger for the trail or surrounding areas. The backstop is much higher than it looks in the first wide angle shot. But, if you are shooing at the top of the berm you are launching projectiles toward who knows where, and hitting those rocks could produce a ricochet endangering trial users.

Lucky for us the timing of our arrival allowed us to make good points with a car full of trail walkers. We were just setting up when a vehicle came up the road, slowed and then rolled down the window. I went over to talk to them and they asked if we were shooting at that target because they were going to be back there in a few minutes. I was able to tell them we were just setting up and would be shooting at the base of the berm (pointing toward some targets that were already there) and that we were just getting ready to head up there and pull down the offending target.

They all thanked us with deep sincerity ... so who knows what they thought of shooters before ... hopefully they think a little better of them now.

We have to remember that public lands are used by a whole lot more non-shooting folks than those that shoot. We are outnumbered, we cannot afford to alienate even one non-shooter ... because they have a voice and can / will vote!

Rant off!

:rolleyes:

Last Edited:
Not sure where to post this but this kind of thing drives me crazy and gets public shooting areas shut down.

If you look at the top of the hill toward the middle you will see my 18 yr-old son. The large tree just to the right of my son had a large bullseye target place next to it on the top of the berm. He has just taken it down.

View attachment 623956

View attachment 623957

View attachment 623960

At this spot if you keep your targets low and shoot toward the berm there is no danger for the trail or surrounding areas. The backstop is much higher than it looks in the first wide angle shot. But, if you are shooing at the top of the berm you are launching projectiles toward who knows where, and hitting those rocks could produce a ricochet endangering trial users.

Lucky for us the timing of our arrival allowed us to make good points with a car full of trail walkers. We were just setting up when a vehicle came up the road, slowed and then rolled down the window. I went over to talk to them and they asked if we were shooting at that target because they were going to be back there in a few minutes. I was able to tell them we were just setting up and would be shooting at the base of the berm (pointing toward some targets that were already there) and that we were just getting ready to head up there and pull down the offending target.

They all thanked us with deep sincerity ... so who knows what they thought of shooters before ... hopefully they think a little better of them now.

We have to remember that public lands are used by a whole lot more non-shooting folks than those that shoot. We are outnumbered, we can not afford to alienate even one non-shooter ... because they have a voice and can / will vote!

Rant off!

:s0054:

View attachment 623956

View attachment 623957

View attachment 623960

We have to remember that public lands are used by a whole lot more non-shooting folks than those that shoot. We are outnumbered, we can not afford to alienate even one non-shooter ... because they have a voice and can / will vote!

Rant off!

Rant on! Please! This issue needs more attention an needs to be on the top of our minds when going out to shoot.

Yep. Arrowhead pit in the Yacolt Burn State Forest. Man, I'm glad you removed that stuff! I believe that is in the path of the Larch Correctional Facility, less than 3 miles away.

From standing in the pit, looking at the top of the berm, you can see all the trees that have been shot off by bullets missing the berm. I always see targets on top of the berm There!

I sure appreciate you, a responsible shooter, being there and recognizing the hazard. Better yet, to remove the hazard!

Thanks DLS.

Bill

No problem Bill. I always pull trash out of there too. I brought home 3 5-gallon pails full of spent shotgun hulls this trip. Unfortunatly I only have so much room in the car and a limited amount of room in my weekly trash can!

Another thing there that I forgot to photograph is graffiti. Some idiot tagged some of the barrier boulders along the roadside. I noticed it three weeks ago and planned to bring some spray paint along with me to blot it out the next time up. Well, the last two times I've been up I've forgotten the paint and as you can imagine the tagging has spread. The best way to stop graffiti is to immediately blot it out or clean if off depending. So I failed on this account, I'm worried about this site as it's very close in and a lot of non-shooters pass it by since the area has ORV trails as well as horse and foot paths. I can see this place getting shut down because of all of this.

Lee

Last Edited:
No problem Bill. I always pull a ton of trash out of there too. I brought home 3 5-gallon pails full of spend shotgun hulls this trip. Unfortunatly I only have so much room in the car and a limited amount of room in my weekly trash can!

Another thing there that I forgot to photograph is graffiti. Some idiot tagged some of the barrier boulders along the roadside. I noticed it three weeks ago and planned to bring some spray paint along with me to blot it out the next time up. Well, the last two times I've been up I've forgotten the paint and as you can imagine the tagging has spread. The best way to stop graffiti is to immediately blot it out or clean if off depending. So I failed on this account, I'm worried about this site as it's very close in and a lot of non-shooters pass it by since the area has ORV trails as well as horse and foot paths. I can see this place getting shut down because of all of this.

Lee
Thanks for the report. Okay then, let's de-graffiti that place! I think a can of Graffiti remover is about 10 bucks at Miller Paint. I'll pick up a couple, take up some brushes, rags and perhaps a wire brush on my drill. See what I can remove. I might be able to talk @WrenchNguns into joining me! Although I'm On-Call this weekend, we rarely get calls so I should be okay to go up. (We rarely get calls because I maintain those furnaces so well! :) ) Saturday afternoon may be my best opportunity.

Thanks again, Lee!

Dear Josh, (oh, why did I say "Dear"!) Obviously, you are not very "Dear" to someone!. Face it Dude, you're not very loved! Get a life, bud, and straighten up your act! Someone out there doesn't like you very much and there must be a reason for it! So, quit being a jerk and perhaps we won't be seeing your name plastered all over the forest! 574021-bd593830625290c781eaf9f691a5480a.png

Signed, (with my Italian name), Bill De-Graffiti (AKA Rimozione dei graffiti).

I bought some graffiti remover and proceeded to remove that crud off the concrete and rocks, at the Arrowhead Pit in the Yacolt Burn State Forest, in SW Washington. This is a place where target shooting is highly visible to all who enter the Yacolt Burn State Forest, as it's along the main entry point road and is a first impression of the forest.

Soon, I ran out of graffiti remover and elbow grease! Two cans and a lot of scrubbing! Low and behold, who comes along but Crystal Crowder of PISTONS WILD Motorsports Club! With grey, brown and black PAINT!!! This project, to delete the graffiti at 4x4 trail heads and at the Arrowhead Shooting Pit, was on her 'to-do' list for today! So, we both proceeded to cover the trash graffiti on the remaining rocks. Thank you Crystal! Good timing! We think alike and make a good team!

There is still some graffiti on some of the rocks (because we ran out of paint and remover), so, if someone can take up a couple cans of Grey spray paint and cover up the other spots, it will be greatly appreciated!

I was also able to clean up the roadway, that passes the pit, and in the parking areas. Two bags FULL just from the road and parking! This was really an eye soar and should not be trashed at all!

With target shooting being a 'first impression' of the Yacolt Burn, we need to take extra care of this place so it stays clean and presentable to all who visit our shared public forest. It is a representation of what target shooting on public land is all about and it is consistently being misrepresented by many people.

Remember, Stewardship Keeps It Open!

Enjoy, shoot safe and commit Random Acts of Cleanups!

Bill (De-Graffiti)!!!

#TrashNoLand
#StewardshipKeepsItOpen
#CommitRandomActsOfCleanups
Washington State Department of Natural Resources

10-13-19 Arrowhead Pit 1.jpg

10-13-19 Arrowhead Pit 2.jpg

10-13-19 Arrowhead Pit 3.jpg

10-13-19 Arrowhead Pit 4.jpg

10-13-19 Arrowhead Pit 5.jpg

10-13-19 Arrowhead Pit 6.jpg

10-13-19 Arrowhead Pit 7.jpg

10-13-19 Arrowhead Pit 8.jpg

10-13-19 Arrowhead Pit 9.jpg

10-13-19 Arrowhead Pit 10.jpg

10-13-19 Arrowhead Pit 11.jpg

Hey @Cogs , just saw this thread. What a horrible mess up there. Hopefully the weather will clear up some to be able to get up there to do some more cleaning. Thanks for your hard work.
Weather may be better mid next week. If it's dry for that weekend of the 28th, I'd be good to go up with some paint.

We'll keep in touch about it. Thanks.

View attachment 623956

View attachment 623957

View attachment 623960

We have to remember that public lands are used by a whole lot more non-shooting folks than those that shoot. We are outnumbered, we cannot afford to alienate even one non-shooter ... because they have a voice and can / will vote!

Rant off!

It's crazy how many people don't have basic, common sense in where they are pointing their guns. If you don't KNOW where your rounds are going, then you DON'T know and...not knowing = danger. Some people think if they hit a rock on top of a berm that rock is going to stop the round or something...well, it's not. These people need to watch videos of people shooting tracer rounds. It shows you the path of a round that you couldn't see without it. Those things can keep going for a mile and not necessarily in the direction you were shooting. Those rounds still have serious and perhaps lethal velocity after ricocheting. Here is a video of a guy shooting 5.56 tracers at a steel targer 600 yards away.

It's crazy how many people don't have basic, common sense in where they are pointing their guns. If you don't KNOW where your rounds are going, then you DON'T know and...not knowing = danger. Some people think if they hit a rock on top of a berm that rock is going to stop the round or something...well, it's not. These people need to watch videos of people shooting tracer rounds. It shows you the path of a round that you couldn't see without it. Those things can keep going for a mile and not necessarily in the direction you were shooting. Those rounds still have serious and perhaps lethal velocity after ricocheting. Here is a video of a guy shooting 5.56 tracers at a steel targer 600 yards away.

Thanks, Jcon! Point well illustrated!

Now, I'd like to see the same thing that has a tilted steel target so the deflections go down into the ground. I suspect most all rounds would deflect down, thus making shooting steel a safer option for public land use. The primary goal is that no rounds leave the range. A straight hanging target on chain seems to invite wild ricocheting.

(I was kind of surprised at how many rounds they shot and deflected, just to show lots of video of the tracer rounds. Were they really 1-3 miles away from any buildings or people? They could have stopped at 2-3 rounds and then ran slow motion to emphasize the point. Even though it looks obvious this was done on private property, I hope the vid doesn't encourage people to want to use tracer rounds on public land! People see that and think "Cool, I want to do that", but they don't have the private property to do it on, so where do they go?... That could be a big concern too!)

Now, I'd like to see the same thing that has a tilted steel target so the deflections go down into the ground. I suspect most all rounds would deflect down, thus making shooting steel a safer option for public land use. The primary goal is that no rounds leave the range. A straight hanging target on chain seems to invite wild ricocheting.

(I was kind of surprised at how many rounds they shot and deflected, just to show lots of video of the tracer rounds. Were they really 1-3 miles away from any buildings or people? They could have stopped at 2-3 rounds and then ran slow motion to emphasize the point. Even though it looks obvious this was done on private property, I hope the vid doesn't encourage people to want to use tracer rounds on public land! People see that and think "Cool, I want to do that", but they don't have the private property to do it on, so where do they go?... That could be a big concern too!)
This vid shows a good visual effect of where the fragments go when the steel is angle downward. I also saw the same effects when shooting an angled target over dusty dirt (you can see the dust line of the fragments.

... A straight hanging target on chain seems to invite wild ricocheting. ...

It does. The proper way to hang steel targets is to put a bolt through the hanging hole from front to back, and peg the chain to the back of the target with a nut. A wingnut makes it easy.

This way the center of gravity is behind the target and it will tilt toward the shooter at about a 15 to 20 degree angle. You can add a few nuts on the bolt to move the chain even farther away from the target's back and increase the angle if the target is light compared to the chain and does not give you enough tilt.

I see folks hanging steel on chains using carbineers or chain shackles and this leaves the face square to the shooter. This is not a good method!

Edited to add a picture depicting of what I'm posting:

stand-3_1.jpg

Last Edited:
I would be worried about changing my targets or even setting up or getting my target stand and targets when I was ready to leave will all those people shooting. Even if the range was called cold, there are too many unknowns that will probably still be handling their potentially loaded weapons during that time. This is why I like getting lanes that really only one person can shoot or several if they know each other.

Mike

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads