Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

increasing trigger pull

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by tjpratt, Sep 15, 2010.

1. tjpratt

tjpratt In what use to be Ballard New Member

NuB question

Will/can a gunsmith "increase trigger pull?
    Why? I love the 1911, but the light trigger pull makes me a little concerned.
    I know, don't by a 1911, thats NOT my question. Thank You!!

2. huntpotter

huntpotter SW WA Negotiator Bronze Supporter

Can be accomplished for cheap, by changing out to heavier springs. Heavier sear spring, or adjusting the middle leg of the sear spring in a little. Heavier mainspring. That would sounds like that might make it a little harder to pull. I'm not a gunsmith, but you can try springs yourself, without having to drop it off and pay a smith. I'm sure a gunsmith would do it too.

3. bnr32gtr

bnr32gtr Vancouver, WA Member

My Kimber was too tight and before I learned what I have, I had "Angie the Sightman" up in Auburn adjust the middle ear from about 3lbs up to 5lbs while my gun was in for night sight install.

When I had asked if he did trigger work before I told him heavier was the goal, his response was, "not anymore, too many D*mned lawyers out there."

After laughing at the truthful statement, I then let him know the weight was too light for a carry gun, he gladly agreed to adjust it up for me and did not charge me a thing!

Angie did the job in about 5 minutes(after taking it apart and reassembling twice)!

Easy to do now that I know but I would recommend taking it to a smith with the right tools and a trigger weight gauge.