In a sea of range finder...

Discussion in 'Scopes & Optics' started by Reno911, Apr 16, 2018 at 9:59 AM.

1. Reno911

Reno911
    Hillsboro
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer 2017 Volunteer

I am thinking it is about time to buy a range finder. I’ve decided it is time to stop guessing distance or using GPS at home afterwards to verify the actual distances. These techniques have done me good, but it’s about time. That and I’ve been doing a lot of work with ODF on lane development out in Tillamook and it would be handy.

I’ve looked through a bunch. Played with a bunch. However, I really can not tell much of a difference other then glass clarity. Is that the main difference?

Any pointers, advice, models, etc that are better or recommended?

I don’t hunt much anymore so size and weight are not much of an issue. I really don’t need anything that can read out to 1000 yards as I’ll likely just stick to GPS to verify those type of distances. Honestly the special features to assist with arc or bullet drop aren’t needed either.

Thanks guys and gals.

Reno911

2. SA Shooter

SA Shooter
    Hillsboro, OR
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

KISS is a good practice to follow for these. An easy to read display, clear glass and accuracy are the basic features to look for.

Understand that a lot of affordable laser range finders don't do well with low light or dark targets but for a day at the range you don't need night sight capability.

3. Barefoot African

Barefoot African
    Saint Helens Oregon

I would NOT recommend any of the Leupold RX TBR rangefinders. These are branded under several manufacturer labels (e.g. Vortex). Optics are stellar. Internal ribbon between sub-board — cable fails after 3-4 years. Even with little or no use, no battery in unit warm dry environment. Maybe you get lucky with yours but many of us did not.

Symptom is LED output red fades to nothing over time

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018 at 11:30 AM
  4. Kurt82

Kurt82
    South Willamette Valley
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Assuming that you want something that is accurate. You probably will still end up with some features you don't want or need. You only need a really cheap model based on what your using it for, but the problem is that those usually don't give really accurate readings, will only work on a good reflective target. I would go with a lower end Nikon for around $150. Should last for along time and do what you need. I have prefer my Leica, but I've owned Nikon, Leupold, Vortex in the past.

5. j8tnub

j8tnub
    Hillsboro, OR

What rangefinder do you use now?

6. x2ndxall

x2ndxall
    WA
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

edslhead and Kurt82 like this.
  7. Barefoot African

Barefoot African
    Saint Helens Oregon

I don’t -went and got a Kahles scope with a mil reticle. Learned to estimate with the help of quick lookup home spun tables. Not super quick, but not to slow either.
    Were I to drop coin- the Nikon Monarch 3000

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018 at 5:32 PM
  8. B5Ben

B5Ben
    Boise
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I’ve had a couple and they have been Bushnell. They are ok and work. Mine have been simple and easy. No angles or bullet drops given. I do like my current one over my last. I like a higher fixed magnification. It helps me ensure I’m looking at the right spot for the measurement.

9. j8tnub

j8tnub
    Hillsboro, OR

Nikon is made in the same place as Leupold and Vortex.

10. Barefoot African

Barefoot African
    Saint Helens Oregon

Same Factory? Did not know that.

I looked one over and gave it serious consideration. Design looked significantly different. Both the VR image stabilization and the laser receiver. Also the 5 year warranty.

11. j8tnub

j8tnub
    Hillsboro, OR

Yep. Same place.

12. Barefoot African

Barefoot African
    Saint Helens Oregon

I guess I am greatful I resisted. Tossing out serious coin on electronics is less than satisfying. I like good glass.

I Like Uncle Sam tested and approved stuff like the PVS-14. Cannot bring myself to get a FLIR. I sense a pattern… old guy pattern! :)