JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am thinking it is about time to buy a range finder. I've decided it is time to stop guessing distance or using GPS at home afterwards to verify the actual distances. These techniques have done me good, but it's about time. That and I've been doing a lot of work with ODF on lane development out in Tillamook and it would be handy.

I've looked through a bunch. Played with a bunch. However, I really can not tell much of a difference other then glass clarity. Is that the main difference?

Any pointers, advice, models, etc that are better or recommended?

I don't hunt much anymore so size and weight are not much of an issue. I really don't need anything that can read out to 1000 yards as I'll likely just stick to GPS to verify those type of distances. Honestly the special features to assist with arc or bullet drop aren't needed either.

Thanks guys and gals.

Reno911

KISS is a good practice to follow for these. An easy to read display, clear glass and accuracy are the basic features to look for.

Understand that a lot of affordable laser range finders don't do well with low light or dark targets but for a day at the range you don't need night sight capability.

Assuming that you want something that is accurate. You probably will still end up with some features you don't want or need. You only need a really cheap model based on what your using it for, but the problem is that those usually don't give really accurate readings, will only work on a good reflective target. I would go with a lower end Nikon for around $150. Should last for along time and do what you need. I have prefer my Leica, but I've owned Nikon, Leupold, Vortex in the past.

I would NOT recommend any of the Leupold RX TBR rangefinders. These are branded under several manufacturer labels (e.g. Vortex). Optics are stellar. Internal ribbon between sub-board — cable fails after 3-4 years. Even with little or no use, no battery in unit warm dry environment. Maybe you get lucky with yours but many of us did not.

Symptom is LED output red fades to nothing over time

What rangefinder do you use now?

I've had a couple and they have been Bushnell. They are ok and work. Mine have been simple and easy. No angles or bullet drops given. I do like my current one over my last. I like a higher fixed magnification. It helps me ensure I'm looking at the right spot for the measurement.

I've been the proud owner of a Leupold RX-1200 for a couple years now, after using a buddy's RX-1000. Mine does TBR etc... but the newer ones are probably even better. I got mine for $299 on sale while the RX650's right beside it was $250. It was a no brainer. Leupold owns the market as far as price/glass quality.

I have a Bushnell you can borrow indefinitely.
Will bring it with me tomorrow. It's good to 350 repeatedly, spotty beyond that.
Thinking about 9am.
I pmd ya. I might be out there earlier. If little guy wakes me up early I'll just head out then. Could be as early as 6-7.

I've got a Leica 1200 that has worked very well for the years I've had it.
Along with spectacular performance ranging, it can be used as a monocular 7x spotter. Fits well in a shirt pocket. I think the price has come down under $500, you should at least take a look. Sometimes (rarely) a used one is on the market.

I've got a Leica 1200 that has worked very well for the years I've had it.
Along with spectacular performance ranging, it can be used as a monocular 7x spotter. Fits well in a shirt pocket. I think the price has come down under $500, you should at least take a look. Sometimes (rarely) a used one is on the market.
I looked through a couple of Leicas. So far I'm thinking if I decide to spend over 200. They will win my choice.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top