JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I sold my 10/22 a few years back but if I remember right, the chamber had no metal removed in the 6 o'clock area. The .22lr is low pressure so no worries about a kaboom. So I'm thinking if I get another 10/22 I might do a feed ramp mod. This might make otherwise junk mags or mags with worn feed lips run like champs. Or even make cheap hollowpoints feed reliably. Has anyone done a feed ramp type mod to their 10/22 chamber?

Usually the 10/22 feeds 100%....But They need to be clean and well lubed when they are new. After about 1000 rounds they smooth out. These days mags are pretty decent, in the past there have been allot of junk out there. You may run across used mags but always look at the feed lips..
If by chance you get a 10/22 that misfeeds, you can use cratex polishing kit. Mount the polishing wheels on a madrel and polish away.
Polish the feed ramp to a mirror finish, then on the edge of the chamber, polish from the 4 o'clock location over to the 7 o'clock area. But its critical that you polish only and not remove and round over the edge of the chamber. If you remove material when the case is fired, it expands into the area material has been removed, and causes extraction problems. Slow extraction, slows the bolt down, and then it wont eject or feed properly.

Cratex polishing kits can be found on Amazon..They are a little spendy, but worth every penny!

cra.jpg

Usually the 10/22 feeds 100%....But They need to be clean and well lubed when they are new. After about 1000 rounds they smooth out. These days mags are pretty decent, in the past there have been allot of junk out there. You may run across used mags but always look at the feed lips..
If by chance you get a 10/22 that misfeeds, you can use cratex polishing kit. Mount the polishing wheels on a madrel and polish away.
Polish the feed ramp to a mirror finish, then on the edge of the chamber, polish from the 4 o'clock location over to the 7 o'clock area. But its critical that you polish only and not remove and round over the edge of the chamber. If you remove material when the case is fired, it expands into the area material has been removed, and causes extraction problems. Slow extraction, slows the bolt down, and then it wont eject or feed properly.

Cratex polishing kits can be found on Amazon..They are a little spendy, but worth every penny!

View attachment 313309

Follow up question for you - I've been told that another option, perhaps less expensive, is to get some polishing heads (like for a Dremel) that have kind of a dense felt/fiber and then use Mother's Mag Polish to give the feed ramp a mirror shine. Any experience using that method? I also have a block of green buffing compound (the kind used for stropping blocks, jewelry polishing, etc.) - I'm thinking that could be useful too.

I've got some of these on hand (also from Amazon), but haven't put them to use yet:

514OExy0oKL._SL1100_.jpg

Last Edited:
Some of the forty caliber pistols get the "Glock smile" on the cases. But I guess the chamber is tighter, or a match barrel in other words on the 10/22. So it sounds like if I wanted to make a ramp on the chamber I'd also have to ream out the chamber for reliable case extraction.

Follow up question for you - I've been told that another option, perhaps less expensive, is to get some polishing heads (like for a Dremel) that have kind of a dense felt/fiber and then use Mother's Mag Polish to give the feed ramp a mirror shine. Any experience using that method? I also have a block of green buffing compound (the kind used for stropping blocks, jewelry polishing, etc.) - I'm thinking that could be useful too.

I've got some of these on hand (also from Amazon), but haven't put them to use yet:

View attachment 313311

Some of the forty caliber pistols get the "Glock smile" on the cases. But I guess the chamber is tighter, or a match barrel in other words on the 10/22. So it sounds like if I wanted to make a ramp on the chamber I'd also have to ream out the chamber for reliable case extraction.

The felt wheels with polish do work, but do not work to well for removing machining marks. Well its possible but takes quite awhile. Just takes a little longer with felt..Use them :)

Sorry I wasnt to clear, The steel lipped mags I mean. I polish up the entire area that the shell contacts the top inside of the steel lips, and the front edges. You want a smooth feeding mag, polish up the steel lips and they feed incredibly well. With the design of the mag to chamber alignment you do not need an actual feed ramp. If you had an actual feed ramp, you would need modified magazines.

The older 10/22's run fine with Butler Creek magazines, the new ones dont. I have a theory that Ruger made some slight changes to the feed ramp or magazine catch on their newer 10/22's so that they would only work with Ruger BX-25 magazines.

Thankfully, Velzey confirmed, i've used the felt wheels on some of my stuff with Mothers, polishes well, a little messy and can take a little time, but works :)

With the design of the mag to chamber alignment you do not need an actual feed ramp. If you had an actual feed ramp, you would need modified magazines.

I meant for the magazines with worn plastic feed lips where the angle might be off a little. I was thinking a beveled 6 o'clock area at the mouth of the chamber would help feeding for the worn out magazines. Not adding an extended ramp, you're right that would require a complete redesign.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top