JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I did the paperwork for a background check on Thursday last week. Told 5 -6 days expecting a phone call yesterday evening or this morning. I called Coastal and was responded with the awnser of i can't find you in the system. Has this happened to anyone else and is there a way a non ffl can look up and find out where I am?

If they can't find you, I would suggest driving back there and speaking to them in person. AFAIK you need an FFL to access the NICS system.

If the FFL actually initiated a NICS check on FICS, it is in the system, and can be looked up on said or by calling OSP. If they didn't actually run the background, that would be odd, but there still should be your completed 4473. I'd go back to the store and talk to someone who is not an idiot like the person on the phone.

If the FFL actually initiated a NICS check on FICS, it is in the system, and can be looked up on said or by calling OSP. If they didn't actually run the background, that would be odd, but there still should be your completed 4473. I'd go back to the store and talk to some who is not an idiot like the person on the phone.
I know they indicated it cause I was 2716.

Good to hear it worked out. Once approved, there is a code that is recorded on the 4473 by the FFL. The last I read, the approved transactions remain in the system for ten days. Too bad Coastal lacked the competence to pick up the phone and give you a ring once a approved.

The same thing happened to a friend of mine a few months ago (not at Coastal). He called the FFL several times and they kept saying "not yet". They finally figured out that it had been approved long ago, and lost. He actually had to go through another BGC, but the FFL at least picked up the tab for it, since it was their screw-up.

Something similar happened to me a long time ago, but for a very different reason. The gun store guy (owner's son) gave me a great deal on a used 10/22. I was delayed, and he wanted me to wait to pay when I came back for it. I waited for a while and finally called. The owner said it was approved and I could come get it, but then asked "You did some trading on this one?"
"No" I said, "He gave me a good deal."
The owner got real funny on the phone, saying something about it being below cost, and that just didn't work. Oh, well, deal done in my opinion.

When I arrived to pick it up, the owner was there and told me they had "lost" the 4473, and if I still wanted the gun I'd have to fill out another form and pay an extra $20, because the first price was just too cheap. :(

The same thing happened to a friend of mine a few months ago (not at Coastal). He called the FFL several times and they kept saying "not yet". They finally figured out that it had been approved long ago, and lost. He actually had to go through another BGC, but the FFL at least picked up the tab for it, since it was their screw-up.

Something similar happened to me a long time ago, but for a very different reason. The gun store guy (owner's son) gave me a great deal on a used 10/22. I was delayed, and he wanted me to wait to pay when I came back for it. I waited for a while and finally called. The owner said it was approved and I could come get it, but then asked "You did some trading on this one?"
"No" I said, "He gave me a good deal."
The owner got real funny on the phone, saying something about it being below cost, and that just didn't work. Oh, well, deal done in my opinion.

When I arrived to pick it up, the owner was there and told me they had "lost" the 4473, and if I still wanted the gun I'd have to fill out another form and pay an extra $20, because the first price was just too cheap. :(
Is that gun shop still around cause that is some shady stuff.

In which case, nothing more to be said. If it was me, I would turn around and walk out, never to be seen again. I would also spread the word on who it was.

In which case, nothing more to be said. If it was me, I would turn around and walk out, never to be seen again. I would also spread the word on who it was.

Ditto. Unethical and/or moronic operations deserve no patronage. A deal is a deal; the owner who wouldn't honor that is a time-wasting nozzle.

(One of several reasons I became 01 FFL licensed was to provide quick, easy, and inexpensive transfers to the local area. I finally got tired of the unbridled idiocy, incompetence, misogyny, racism, and assorted wackdom found locally.)

My experience...Coastal is relatively new in the firearms business, and remains dysfunctional with firearms sales.

I went thru an ordeal with them. Had to get corporate management involved. Once they clued in the local store and its manager, it finally came together.

I will be hesitant to deal with them again. I hope they get it all figured out, and I hope they actually find some real firearms savvy people to work in their gun department.

Last Edited:
My experience, Coastal is yet dysfunctional with firearms sales.

I went thru an ordeal with them. Had to get corporate management involved. Once they clued in the local store and its manager, it finally came together.

I will be hesitant to deal with them again.
Yeah but they had a cz 97b

Yes, as far as I know. I live several hours away from that area now. I'm hesitant to say anymore, because that particular incident happened 20 years ago, and I have no idea if the same guy still owns it.
Sounds like that was Warren Lacase, owner of "The Gun Room" typical of them to pull something like that! And don't worry about blasting those arseholes here, we all know how shady they are!

Sounds like that was Warren Lacase, owner of "The Gun Room" typical of them to pull something like that! And don't worry about blasting those arseholes here, we all know how shady they are!
No, actually this happened down in Roseburg, in '99 or 2000 as I recall. I actually liked the shop before then, had bought a lot of stuff there.

I think it was a problem between the father who owned the place, and his son who worked the counter. I sensed some family drama or something, assumed maybe the son had been selling stuff at a loss a little too often or some such. Any which way, I thought it was unethical for him to take it out on me.

No, actually this happened down in Roseburg, in '99 or 2000 as I recall. I actually liked the shop before then, had bought a lot of stuff there.

I think it was a problem between the father who owned the place, and his son who worked the counter. I sensed some family drama or something, assumed maybe the son had been selling stuff at a loss a little too often or some such. Any which way, I thought it was unethical for him to take it out on me.

If this is the now defunct and gone Roseburg Gun Shop, so not surprised.

I didn't realize they were no longer in business. Yes, it was them.

Indeed, they are gone. I had heard that a while ago, but was up there a few months back and the retail location they were at is something totally different now.

My experience with that shop was generally pretty negative, the last experience being a gunsmithing job they botched royally; they broke a part and I was not given so much as a "sorry", let alone any wiliness to make it right. Good riddance.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top