JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If it came down to that type of scenario, you have much, much bigger fish to fry than worrying about reticle glow.

You realize that your illuminated reticle doesn't illuminate your target to provide positive IFF? I understand that a light on your rifle could be used to identify your position, but mitigating that comes down to training and tactics. While a white light being inadvertently flashed on mission is a game changer in a bad way (because you're wearing nods), in a self defense situation, not having one is setting yourself up for disaster.

You realize that your illuminated reticle doesn't illuminate your target to provide positive IFF? I understand that a light on your rifle could be used to identify your position, but mitigating that comes down to training and tactics. While a white light being inadvertently flashed on mission is a game changer in a bad way (because you're wearing nods), in a self defense situation, not having one is setting yourself up for disaster.
I have a light. I also have dogs and a teenager. I wouldn't ever pull the trigger on someone/thing I can't ID.

Just guessing here....

Would one of those "flip up scope covers" with a tinted piece of clear plastic work on limiting the glow...?

In any event , for what it is worth from a guy who doesn't have a scope like this , I wouldn't worry about it.
If you would have to actually shoot , in my experience at least , that moment is fast and I don't think that it would matter if the threat saw "the light" from your scope first.
Andy
"Smile and wait for the flash!!!"

Occluded.
I keep my LPVO maxed out when stowed.
Turn it on and flip open the rear for close up targets like a red dot.
Flip open the front for distance.

I've got a Burris 1 x 4 MTAC with an illuminated reticle. Tonight I noticed what it looks like from the front in the dark: which would be a pretty good place to shoot a if an armed intruder in the dark wanted to put one in my skull. Sure my light would leave a nighttime intruder seeing spots, but lights are a target too. Now I'm considering removing this LPVO from any sort of defensive setup that might be used at night.

I suppos I could leave it turned off and just use the etched reticle w/a
light in the dark, but that seems contrary to the purpose. Do other LPVOs do this or do higher end versions have a way to shield illumination from showing through scope front? Is this an issue anyone has considered to be a problem in a defensive scenario? Possible solutions?

Pic is from the front with rifle on a vise block in my pretty dark basement.

View attachment 1062528
I wonder what it looks like from a distance with NVG's.

Occluded.
I keep my LPVO maxed out when stowed.
Turn it on and flip open the rear for close up targets like a red dot.
Flip open the front for distance.
I am not sure if its because of my astigmatism or what - but I've tried this technique before with red dots, and it simply does not work with my eyes. I *always* wind up shooting a couple inches left of the target. Once the cover is off of the objective, I'll hit the target.

I am not sure if its because of my astigmatism or what - but I've tried this technique before with red dots, and it simply does not work with my eyes. I *always* wind up shooting a couple inches left of the target. Once the cover is off of the objective, I'll hit the target.
What kind of distance are you talking about?

Now I gotta check mine out... I'll pull the uppers off and mount to a vice block for safety and set the illumination for both twilight and full dark to see how bad it is.

Good catch @Michael H . No, you aren't overthinking this detail. Best to investigate and put to bed rather than to underestimate the issue.

if you were fighting in total blackout it might be something to worry about. i would agree with other that the setting is too high. they make "killflash ARD's" for those small objectives but i think its mainly for higher end optics. killflash or other ARD's are designed to stop reflection off the Obj lens not prevent an over illuminated reticle. have you talked to the manufacturer to see if its normal to be that bright on the business end

I've looked at it some more. The Burris MTAC on the lowest illuminated setting and on 1x power--4x makes it bigger and more visible from the objective lens side--it'd be pretty hard to see except at the exact wrong angle. Odds are good a light would be at play too so probably a non-issue for practical purposes.

What kind of distance are you talking about?
almost all distances I've tried it - I typically shoot rifles from 15-100 yards, when practicing "CQB" crap - we're talking no further than 20 yards or so. I wouldn't be keeping both eyes open for a long distance shot, where I'd be focusing on the reticle and not whats going on around it.

It's not precise and varies between people.
15 yds and in seems to be the sweet spot for me.

There's no real reason to aim occluded if you're using a regular red dot as they are usually 1x.
But it can be handy for a magnified optic when up close as long as you understand it's limitations.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top