JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone have any thoughts about the green vs the red reticles in the PNW? I don't feel like the green is by any means the same color as vegetation so when brightly lit it doesn't wash out, but when not brightly illuminated it feels awful close to some of the veg out here- however when I've looked through the red acogs they feel significantly less bright to my eyes, and it feels like the lack of contrast makes the reticle feel less "focussed". Anyone here any experience with both out in the PNW woods and have a distinct preference for one or the other?

Green is better. The eyes see green better than any other color. Instead of an ACOG, I'd save a bunch of that money for other things and get a prism optic, green illuminated 1x or 3x scope from primary arms. The etched reticle means it will work without illumination, the illumination is compatible with NV use, and it's a robust scope. I got one to test/play around with and I really like it, though I think I still favor 1x6/8 variables just due to the added versatility.

Green is better. The eyes see green better than any other color. Instead of an ACOG, I'd save a bunch of that money for other things and get a prism optic, green illuminated 1x or 3x scope from primary arms. The etched reticle means it will work without illumination, the illumination is compatible with NV use, and it's a robust scope. I got one to test/play around with and I really like it, though I think I still favor 1x6/8 variables just due to the added versatility.
Honestly the only thing stopping me from buying a pa 3x micro is the lack of ability to piggyback an RMR. That's one of the things I like about the acog as far as prism optics go. I know there are offset dots and such but I really like the piggyback mount due to the heads up shooting it makes possible. Not to mention, the extra 1x of magnification really comes in handy for me over my previous experiences with 3x magnifiers at 200-400 yards. Not that 3× doesn't work, I just wanted the tiniest bit more.

Thanks, I'll stick with the green assuming the consensus stays the same.

Honestly the only thing stopping me from buying a pa 3x micro is the lack of ability to piggyback an RMR. That's one of the things I like about the acog as far as prism optics go. I know there are offset dots and such but I really like the piggyback mount due to the heads up shooting it makes possible. Not to mention, the extra 1x of magnification really comes in handy for me over my previous experiences with 3x magnifiers at 200-400 yards. Not that 3× doesn't work, I just wanted the tiniest bit more.

Thanks, I'll stick with the green assuming the consensus stays the same.
1x6/8 variable with RMR piggyback. Does everything the ACOG can and more… functionality wise.

1x6/8 variable with RMR piggyback. Does everything the ACOG can and more… functionality wise.
Lmao gonna derail my own thread for a minute here.

You might get more functionality, specifically on 8× LPVOs, at a cost of (usually) reduced fov and at a usually significant weight penalty, and tbh I feel that most LPVOs suck when you're looking at under the price of an acog (~1k new). Also, I just don't care to have 1x on an optic I'll be piggybacking a red dot on anyway. If I was gonna buy a new lpvo, I'd probably go for the plx-c, which is notably more expensive than an acog. Plus you have mount, and RMR mount. And you're still behind on weight.

All of that is to say, I may put together a 5.56 rifle with an lpvo, but for my current rifle with my current uses in mind, I don't see myself getting talked out of the acog (especially given that the question at hand was more or less "should I switch my acog to a different color or keep the one I've got" and not "should I buy x or y acog").

Green is good. I like amber as well, which many seem to hate, but they are simply wrong. Red is just okay.

TA11 is best ACOG. It is a bit heavier than the 4x ACOGs, but its eye relief and eye box are luxurious.

TA11 and TA33 are the best acogs, TA11 has more magnification but the FOV and eye relief on the TA33 are better.

As for green vs red, green is better but you won't really hate it either way. My only gripe with red is it blooms a bit, but duct tape over the fiber optic helps a bit.

TA33 has a smaller POV than TA11.
Both have good eye relief.
TA31 has the best POV but lousy eye relief and a smaller eye box.

In short, I think the green will do fine for you in the PNW and wouldn't worry about it washing out. I have a green, TA11, and has been with me for quite some time and is one of my favorites.

I have had several models the TA11 and my TA01 with canted rmr and by far the best for me.

The TA01 4x32 with canted rmr doesn't give you the same eye relief as the 3.5x35 but I think it saves a little weight in the long run and pickup the irons on top for piece of mind.

Great contributions in this thread.

I am going to second the preference of the Canted RMR over the Piggyback configuration.
To use this RMR, I have to break cheek-weld...if it was canted, I could just roll the rifle.
I also find the RMR a bit redundant with the TA31, because with both eyes open and the generous FOV, it is easy to pick up the next target.

UIfnRMR.jpg

Great contributions in this thread.

I am going to second the preference of the Canted RMR over the Piggyback configuration.
To use this RMR, I have to break cheek-weld...if it was canted, I could just roll the rifle.
I also find the RMR a bit redundant with the TA31, because with both eyes open and the generous FOV, it is easy to pick up the next target.

View attachment 1291160
Have you tried rolling the rifle and picking up the piggybacked RMR with your left eye?

Have you tried rolling the rifle and picking up the piggybacked RMR with your left eye?
I have, and it is close...but I am just as close with both eyes open, letting my brain superimpose through the TA31.
I tried moving it to piggyback a TA11 on a longer rifle but had the same outcome. It will probably get moved to a canted mount on something with more magnification.

And OP, I use red reticles. Mainly because of familiarity, programming etc. Red will work well... even while wading through the sword ferns and while avoiding the devils clubs under a dense canopy.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top