JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Tri-County is planning to start up IDPA matches in the near future.
Not sure when, but it was announced at a USPSA match a couple of
months ago.

Shaun is emailing some good news, sounds like things are moving in the right direction for IDPA at TCGC.

It would be nice to have it come together, and I wish Shaun & crew luck.

Tri-county's tactical matches are run along IDPA guidelines, but aren't real sticklers for IDPA rules. In other words, they use the philosophy of IDPA, but don't get their shirt in a knot about every little rule. The matches are supposed to be fun, not feel like they are run by attorneys as is often the case in "the other" modern action pistol shooting game that really isn't "practical" (IMHO).

I think that's going to change. The IDPA Area Coordinator for WA/OR/AK is going down there (actually, he may have been down there last weekend) to check things out, and I expect Tri-County will become an affiliated club, and so required to be sticklers about the rules. I've found all games are more fun when everyone agrees about what the rules are, even if they don't agree on what they'd like the rules to be. :)

As long as the majority of people participating want to have all the rules, then that is the way it will go. It will be interesting to find out if participation increases, or decreases if there are alot more rules to follow.

Sometimes I like lots of rules, other times I really enjoy the more relaxed, informal feelings of matches without too many rules.

But there is always "that guy" who wrecks the fun informal nature of things by not going along with the spirit off things and says "there is no rule against it". That would be one reason I sometimes like more rules..."that guy" has to get with the program, or go elsewhere.

No, if the club is affiliated with IDPA, all of the rules wil be enforced or the club will lose its affiliation. You can't decide to enforce some rules, not enforce others, and call it IDPA. We have a club in our area that uses some parts of the rule book (quoting sections of the rule book on their website), ignores others, and that's fine as long as they don't call it IDPA.

I knew that. I don't think there are any affiliations, or franchises, or organizations that allow people who want to join up to pick and choose which rules or regulations they want to obey or use. It is an all or nothing proposition.

Just like McDonalds, or Taco Time, you can't get a franchise and say you won't follow the rules that the organization requires.

I guess the issue is whether the group of people feel they want to affiliate with the organization or not. If they invited a representative of the organization to come and observe, it sure would seem like they are hoping to be part of the organization.

Informal competition is fun, but I think for any large competition, there have to be rules, otherwise, there would be chaos, and a whole lot more griping and complaining.

I think the need for rules has a direct correlation to the amount of people participating. The more people participating, the more likely there is to be "that guy" coming out and not going along with the spirit of the game that every one else understood. And usually, he will say "there is no rule against it", and he will be correct.

My gripe isn't against rules, or organizations as much as it is against "that guy". I believe that well written rules make it easier for larger groups of people to deal with "that guy" and still compete on an even basis.

I really don't care if they call their orgainzations IDPA, IPSC, or if they say they have IDPA, or IPSC "type" competition. However, whenever they say that it is "sort of like" some group, they actually need to have rules about which rules they don't want to abide by...that in itself requires a rule about rules...sort of ironic I think. They have to design a rule to specify which rules they won't use.

I think I'll just leave all the rule stuff up to people who like organizing things more than I do.

Anything new on IDPA @ Tri-County???

I think that's going to change. The IDPA Area Coordinator for WA/OR/AK is going down there (actually, he may have been down there last weekend) to check things out, and I expect Tri-County will become an affiliated club, and so required to be sticklers about the rules. I've found all games are more fun when everyone agrees about what the rules are, even if they don't agree on what they'd like the rules to be. :)

I always liked the way the fellows that ran/run the IDPA matches at Tri-county handled the matches. The matches were challenging and the competitors worked hard to do their best.

The best part was how the directors managed to keep the shooter's competitive spirits high, yet the matches were still fun because the spirit of competition wasn't allowed to get out of hand. Most of the competitors realized that they were shooting against their own personal bad habits, rather than feeling like they had to personally defeat someone else at the match.

They deserve much praise for managing to pull that off. I sure hope their interaction with the IDPA people turns out the way they hope it will.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top