JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It's about time Apple inc. and the rest of silicon valley (Google, MS, Yahoo etc) woke up to what the dotgov's true agenda really is.
Up 'til now they've been trading favors and selling them data.

But let's face it, if Apple DOES decide to sell them a backdoor, we'll never hear about it, and Apple will claim the NSA wrote the software themselves if/when it ever gets revealed.

.gov probably wants to get into the phone and remove any evidence pointing to a relationship between .gov and the shooter. Wasn't there (3) tall guys involved in the shooting according to witnesses, and when all was said and done, (1) guy and (2) small woman were executed by .gov agents?

Good Job Apple. Hang tough. I have an iPhone, and this is one of the reasons why.

I know that the FBI thinks they are on to something, but these two obviously had OPSEC in mind. They destroyed their personal cell phones and removed the hard drive from their computer to hide any usable intelligence information; so it stands to reason that they were smart enough to not conduct any nefarious business on that phone.

I am not sure what the government's plan is. Apple holds all the cards here. Any punitive measures they take against them are easily counteracted.

Throw them in jail for Contempt? Yeah, like to see that happen. Apple could shut down any devices that the government has purchased (they have consumer info on which devices those are) or refuse to update those devices. Fine them? How much? If so, how long are they willing to wait for the money (which would surely be litigated for some years to come.

So in the end, government and DOJ might just have to put this in the "loss" column and do their job.

Gee, I wonder if Apple would allow this backdoor access to Obama's phone. You know, the one of "Pen and Phone" fame?
Then there's billary's phone.
And valerie jarret's phone.
And eric holder's phone.
And dianne feistein's phone.
and chucky schumer's.
And lois lerner's.

Hell, I'm just getting started,....
That backdoor could be really valuable in the hands of the next Edward Snowden.

"I am not sure what the government's plan is."

I am.

Let's see, 14 deaths in this attack, in a nation where 2.5 million people die every year of all causes. That is supposed to justify the ability of government to spy on all 300+ million of us? We are supposed to believe that the government gives a rat's patoot about those 14?

"Never let a crisis go to waste."

"I am not sure what the government's plan is."

I am.

Let's see, 14 deaths in this attack, in a nation where 2.5 million people die every year of all causes. That is supposed to justify the ability of government to spy on all 300+ million of us? We are supposed to believe that the government gives a rat's patoot about those 14?

"Never let a crisis go to waste."

Grim way to look at it but very true. Alcohol kills more people on US soil then terrorists ever will. Not that we shouldn't fight them but not to the point where we are slaves to the government.

AND the FBI still can't crack the iPhone... I find that more then a little funny. RIP Jobes.

I was just talking to a family member about this... this is a common view where he lives:

"The back door is already there it has been there. Apple is just saving face, and if they are not saving face then they don't know there is already a back door built in."

This comes from the same person who won't read digital books or anything online because "they change that stuff all the time." o_O

I remember why I moved as far away as money would take me once I was of age.

I was just talking to a family member about this... this is a common view where he lives:

"The back door is already there it has been there. Apple is just saving face, and if they are not saving face then they don't know there is already a back door built in."

This comes from the same person who won't read digital books or anything online because "they change that stuff all the time." o_O

I remember why I moved as far away as money would take me once I was of age.
In truth though, he may be right about the backdoor, and Apple is just fabricating the foundation for plausible deniability.
Which is what I referred to in my initial post on the topic.

From what I heard it is his county work phone. If that is the case then he has no expectation of privacy and I see no problem with gaining access to the information. If it is his private phone then that might be a different matter.

I'm pretty sure they can crack a 4 digit code...

I'm guessing they want the gps info stored on the phone to see where he has been.

That's 100% speculation.

The reality is though that if the FBI can't crack the phone, there are probably hundreds of kids that have already done so out of boredom.

Either that or they just have to ask the NSA, cuz they've been tracking phones forever now. Don't do stupid bubblegume with a cell phone people.

From what I heard it is his county work phone. If that is the case then he has no expectation of privacy and I see no problem with gaining access to the information. If it is his private phone then that might be a different matter.
They can't give the key to cracking one IPhone to the FBI without giving up the key to every other IPhone.
They are all protected by the same encryption code.

The code is more than just a 4 digit.

10 failed attempts and the data on the device is locked... I doubt they used a 4 digit passcode. Mine is set for 6 digit, or you better use my thumbprint. The fingerprint scanners are set so they won't work on a deceased or fake finger either. Double oh crap for the Gov.

I stand in opposition and do NOT believe there is any back door in the iOS device. Remember when iOS 9 rolled out it eliminated any access and that's what was touted as the main security. Without the key (code or print) you are screwed. Down to encryption of backups on computers your data is secure on Apple with iOS 9+ systems. The entire structure of their operating system was changed to accommodate the security measures. You can't just plug an entry into the system. You would have to design the system around it. Something they (Apple) has already stated many times they will not do. They have the money to fight it and will. It won't stand in the SCOTUS if it makes it there.

The new theories of iOS 10 will be a rootless system providing even more security on these devices.

Please don't lump Google with Apple when it comes to security. They are completely different. Android is as solid as Swiss cheese. Google may fight things with the Gov but they don't use mandatory encryption. Apples to bananas comparison there.

I think the issue is that if Apple gives into the govs request the gov will now have the information to crack ANY iPhone, warrant or not. I have no desire to protect the dead terrorist, I do have a desire to protect the little privacy and freedom that the innocent have.

Tough one.

I can't help but feel that Apple is doing this for PR, to look like the people's champion.

They know techies have been very concerned about government infringement on encryption lately. It's been a major talking point in tech circles for a while, but heavily in the last few months.

If they really are the good guys, then that's cool, I just can't swallow it whole though.

Sure, the feds get their way for this specific instance as icing on the cake. They (like the government cares about protecting our private data as has been noted in many security breaches and in the hands of the masses) also cut off their nose, spite their face and go bankrupt in the process.

Stand your ground Apple

I've been known to toss my phone in the ocean. Off a bridge, and even run over them and destroy them fackin things. Hate'm

At first I though apple was being all hippy liberal, but then I found out the feds wanted them to creat a way for them to get into any iphone through software backdoors.

F that the NSA already has too much reach.

Have the gov. Give the phone to Apple let them unlock it then destroy the software so it can't be used again if the gov. Desides to pull a warrant to get the software. That way apple did what the judge ordered and the gov. Just gets what they wanted nothing more.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top