JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Weighing only one round is a good way to get errors in your count. Bullets tend to be fairly consistent in weight, usually within +/- 0.2gr or so, but those variances can add up with larger quantites. With heavier bullets it's not so noticeable, as it's a smaller percentage of bullet weight, but if your sample round has a 0.2gr variance, that could be a 200-400 grain variance over 1,000 rounds.

I know that being a few bullets off is no big deal, as most people always go slightly heavy just to be safe and err on the customer's side. I just hate seeing people advise poor practices, when just a little more effort can help increase count accuracy.

If weighing a sample for measuring quantities by weight, it's always best to take the average weight of 10-20 samples for your base weight.

Again, not a big deal in this case, as count should still be within 2-3 bullets, but it's always best to get into good habits from the start.

FWIW, I actually use this method for adjusting my powder measure. Weighing one or two individual charges can easily be 0.1-0.2gr off, but the average of 10 powder charges helps dial it in a lot closer.

Just food for thought.
He's weighing bullets. I would hope the variance per bullet wouldn't be out of whack. I know I said rounds so unless you're quite the crackerjack reloader there could be a variance in powder from round to round. So much for quality control. Splitting hairs, splitting hairs.

He's weighing bullets. I would hope the variance per bullet wouldn't be out of whack. I know I said rounds so unless you're quite the crackerjack reloader there could be a variance in powder from round to round. So much for quality control. Splitting hairs, splitting hairs.
In my experience, bullets are usually within +/- 0.2gr. For powder, that depends on how you are measuring it. Powder measure can be +/- 0.1gr with ball powder, but off the charts with flake or stick powder. Trickling powder is about as close to exact as you can get. For loaded cartridges, brass is almost always the biggest factor, sometimes being off by quite a few grains, not tenths of a grain.

As for my powder variance from round to round, I am very confident in its consistency. As I explained before, I don't just weigh one or two powder throws and call it good, as those could be on either end of the variance spectrum. I average 10 throws, and often do so multiple times, until I'm confident the average throw has less than 0.1gr variance from my target weight.

If you are intending to load 5.0gr and your powder measure variance is +/- 0.2gr, getting 5.0 grains on your first throw is not enough to call it good. Based on the variance, you could be throwing 4.8gr on average, and occasionally get some as low as 4.6gr, or you could be throwing 5.2gr on average, with possible highs of 5.4gr. You will never know for certain without weighing more samples, as your sample size is too small.

It could be the same situation with the bullets if your lone sample falls on either end of the spectrum. Your +/- 0.2gr variance could now be +0/-0.4 or +0.4/-0 grains. That's why I advise towards averaging multiple samples.

I understand that an extreme level of precision is not necessarily needed for weighing heavier bullets. What I'm trying to point out is that weighing only one sample and extrapolating from there can cause all of these variances to stack over time and with quantity. Even though precision is not needed now, it's best to be in the habit of using more precise methods, for when they are actually needed.

I just happen to have a very strong desire for things to be as accurate as possible, even the simple things. It's not always needed, but it's been a habit that has served me well over the years, especially when it comes to reloading or doing inventory each year.

I'm not saying everyone has to do it this way, I'm just saying it's more precise to do it this way. As with all things in life, you are free to choose for yourself what works best for you.

:s0092:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads