JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My second ship. USS Mount Vernon, LSD-39, went through an overhaul at Willamette Iron and Steel, I caught her there in August of '76. At that time, the Reserve cans were the Rogers and the Hamner, both FRAM II's as I recall.

10123904.jpg

Dads Brother, the Uncle I never knew, was a Chief Water Tender aboard U.S.S. New Mexico BB-40 from just a few weeks before the U.S. entered the war until June of 1947. He was "Transfered" to Naval Hospital Bethesda where he spent his final months, passing from T.B. Uncle John saw almost every bit of action the Queen was involved in during the war, and he kept a big book of photos and ships newspapers ( which I now have) to mark significant events! In a way, those photos with there notes in the back tell a story of life aboard ship, a life most will never know or understand, and in a way, we got to know him through those photos and notes! Somewhere, my Dad has a chunk of the ships armor that his brother sent him, a touchstone of remembrance to one of our nations many unsung heroes who served silently during the greatest war ever fought! BB- 40 and Uncle John live on through memory now, something I am passing forward to my own sons and now grand son, never forget!

I'm really enjoying reading what you guys are doing here. That's what the thread's for.
Any thing that comes to mind works for me.

So back to The USS Terry. I was searching a year or so ago for info on the Terry. Thought there might be some pics, or something. I keep telling myself I'm going to contact the Department of The Navy and see what I can get. Just been too lazy I guess.
In my searching I found this book...

1669582661746.jpeg

The author of the book boarded the ship about a month after dad did. It wasn't a great read, mostly about the authors daily life and not a lot about crew members or the ships travels.

At some point crew member signed their name and address.
Dad was a was quit a goof ball at time and always made people laugh.
His signature # 80. Interesting that the books author is #81.

1669583022654.jpeg
It supposed to be Stephen Johancsik.

You can't imagine how many times I've had to spell my last name s-l-o-w-l-y to people before they get it right!
1669583210501.jpeg

I don't get the John Henry thing? Musta been some inside joke with some of the crew? LOL

To think, of all the modernizing that it took.
I had the pleasure of touring one of the Iowa class battleships (I think it was the Missouri, but I can't remember for sure which one it was) when she made a visit to Subic Bay in '89. I was amazed to learn they were still using the same analog fire control computer for the main guns that the ship was built with in 1944. Accurate enough to drop a 2,000 lb. projectile in a swimming pool at a distance of 20 miles.

I had the pleasure of touring one of the Iowa class battleships (I think it was the Missouri, but I can't remember for sure which one it was) when she made a visit to Subic Bay in '89. I was amazed to learn they were still using the same analog fire control computer for the main guns that the ship was built with in 1944. Accurate enough to drop a 2,000 lb. projectile in a swimming pool at a distance of 20 miles.
It could have been the New Jersey. I don't think the Missouri ever came out of Mothball.

As for the analog fire control system, my ship was commissioned in '44 or 45 and it still had one.

Jack

It could have been the New Jersey. I don't think the Missouri ever came out of Mothball.

As for the analog fire control system, my ship was commissioned in '44 or 45 and it still had one.

Jack
Actually, that's backwards, N.J. was the least used, and remained in Mothballs after Nam! Big Mo and Iowa were the last two ever deployed and we're the most modernized for Desert Storm! I got to see Big Mo fire her guns, what a sight I tell ya! Supposedly Iowa was further up the coast, sober didn't see her firing her guns, but we saw the results later on!

According to Wikipedia, "All four were reactivated and modernized at the direction of the United States Congress in 1981, and armed with missiles during the 1980s, as part of the 600-ship Navy initiative."

Could have been the New Jersey. I'm almost certain it wasn't the Iowa or the Wisconsin

Big Mo and Iowa were the last two ever deployed and we're the most modernized for Desert Storm! I got to see Big Mo fire her guns, what a sight I tell ya! Supposedly Iowa was further up the coast, sober didn't see her firing her guns, but we saw the results later on!
I think you are thinking of the Wisconsin, not the Iowa. Again, according to Wikipedia:

"During Operation Desert Storm in 1991, Missouri and Wisconsin fired missiles and 16-inch (406 mm) guns at Iraqi targets."

The Iowa was decommissioned in 1990 after an explosion in the #2 turret.

Actually, that's backwards, N.J. was the least used, and remained in Mothballs after Nam! Big Mo and Iowa were the last two ever deployed and we're the most modernized for Desert Storm! I got to see Big Mo fire her guns, what a sight I tell ya! Supposedly Iowa was further up the coast, sober didn't see her firing her guns, but we saw the results later on!
I stand corrected.

I think you are thinking of the Wisconsin, not the Iowa. Again, according to Wikipedia:

"During Operation Desert Storm in 1991, Missouri and Wisconsin fired missiles and 16-inch (406 mm) guns at Iraqi targets."

The Iowa was decommissioned in 1990 after an explosion in the #2 turret.
Could very well be, I know all four were ready to go, and I knew about Iowa, but miss-remembered when the gun blew up, thought it was afterwards!

And now, for another tangent, here we go!!! (I love going off on tangents . . . it's like the EOD shirt logo; "If you see me running, do try to keep up!)

So, we just approved the proof of my wife's latest book project. She had always wanted to do a little kids book (ages pre K - K) or series thereof. Now she has done it with the help of a very talented local artist / illustrator.

IMG_20221129_100152473.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads