JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was going to post a 'Break' thread and along came this thread...Had tears streaming it hit me so funny!

Then this

World War II History, submarines, B-29 Superfortress.

This thread I stumbled on at gunboards.com really grabbed me.

And if you don't care for reading the 4 pages at least check out this link that's within the above thread.

Thanks for sharing these.

In the spirit of Thanksgiving... I'm thankful that I was able to serve this Great Nation as a US Navy Submariner.

During Desert Storm we didn't have to rescue downed aviators but my boat was there doing other submarine stuff.

Thanks for sharing these.

In the spirit of Thanksgiving... I'm thankful that I was able to serve this Great Nation as a US Navy Submariner.

During Desert Storm we didn't have to rescue downed aviators but my boat was there doing other submarine stuff.
:s0152: With great respect.

My father was on The USS Terry. From April 9th 1945 to, I'm not sure in 1947. I wish I had heard more about his service. He wasn't in any particular hairy situations. I read a bunch of ships log entries. A lot of things I wish I'd known about him that I don't. Too late now.

I've found out that generation kept a lot to themselves and only opened up to others in the same community.

Sometimes honoring their service is enough.

I didn't realize how hard it is to join the military service, until my kids were told that childhood asthma and skin issues were disqualifying, even if they grew out of those issues.

I've found out that generation kept a lot to themselves and only opened up to others in the same community.

Sometimes honoring their service is enough.

I didn't realize how hard it is to join the military service, until my kids were told that childhood asthma and skin issues were disqualifying, even if they grew out of those issues.
It depends on the branch and job. I qualified for a few branches despite numerous medical issues both current and past.

My father certainly did. He never talked about his experiences during the war, even when inebriated(sp?).

He was on the USS Doherty DE-14.
Can you believe how small those Destroyers were? Beam of 35 and 39'! And how many men were on them. Your Dad's ship, 283' with 193 men aboard. The USS Terry at 376', with 336 men aboard. Never related before that the destroyers had such different lengths.
Never thought about it 'til now, but it must have meant something real special to Dad when the four of our family were on the spot on the USS Missouri where the surrender papers were signed. Wish I could go back to that day knowing and feeling what I do now.

Well, speaking of MISSOURI, here we were, May, 1984, hooking up the tow in preparation to haul MISSOURI from the Straits of Juan De Fuca down to Long Beach, CA for the start of her reactivation.

scan0002.jpg

Well, speaking of MISSOURI, here we were, May, 1984, hooking up the tow in preparation to haul MISSOURI from the Straits of Juan De Fuca down to Long Beach, CA for the start of her reactivation.

View attachment 1318479
Oh that is so cool! G'damn! After being on the deck of that ship, it blew me away that they could take that old girl and bring her back to go to The middle East and back into fighting shape. To think, of all the modernizing that it took. Monumental!

Oh that is so cool! G'damn! After being on the deck of that ship, it blew me away that they could take that old girl and bring her back to go to The middle East and back into fighting shape. To think, of all the modernizing that it took. Monumental!
As a kid I got to tour that one that was at Bremerton for a long time. Quite an experience I have never forgotten. I did not know it at the time but the "old guy" my Father was friends with that was with us was on one of those damn things at Pearl Harbor when the attack happened. Hayseed kid who lied about his age to enlist and ended up seeing that. No wonder the old guy RARELY talked about what it was like. :eek:

Excerpt from 'IN REPOSE'

As a Navy diver, though still new at it, I was getting fairly accustomed to diving around ships. It was what the job was all about. But, as I approached ARIZONA, it was not the familiar, smooth side of a ship that I saw, but a large, rough, dark brown wall. Over the years of immersion, the outer hull surfaces had corroded, but more importantly had become covered with a thick layer of marine growth. I was immediately reminded that some forty-three years had passed since ARIZONA went down. Almost not believing that I was actually there, I reached out to touch the side of the hull as I swam up to it. I placed my hand on the uneven surface and for a moment just stayed there, hovering in the slight current. All my years of studying the ship, the attack, and visiting the Memorial came together in that moment of contact. But it was not merely the feeling of touching something historic, but rather a personal "connection" with it. It was somewhat like meeting an old friend, someone you'd known for many years. But it wasn't just one friend, but more than that. There was a collective presence; a sensation unlike anything I ever felt before. It seemed that I could feel the soul of the ship and her crew. That she and they were alive. There was an energy there and I was connected to it. I can't call it ghostly or spectral, because those terms tend to imply both a visible thing and some sort of fear or malevolence, and there was none of that. It was almost as though the presence knew we were there for them. It was truly astounding. To this day, though asked a number of times, I still find it difficult to describe the feeling, the emotion of that first contact.

Excerpt from 'IN REPOSE'

As a Navy diver, though still new at it, I was getting fairly accustomed to diving around ships. It was what the job was all about. But, as I approached ARIZONA, it was not the familiar, smooth side of a ship that I saw, but a large, rough, dark brown wall. Over the years of immersion, the outer hull surfaces had corroded, but more importantly had become covered with a thick layer of marine growth. I was immediately reminded that some forty-three years had passed since ARIZONA went down. Almost not believing that I was actually there, I reached out to touch the side of the hull as I swam up to it. I placed my hand on the uneven surface and for a moment just stayed there, hovering in the slight current. All my years of studying the ship, the attack, and visiting the Memorial came together in that moment of contact. But it was not merely the feeling of touching something historic, but rather a personal "connection" with it. It was somewhat like meeting an old friend, someone you'd known for many years. But it wasn't just one friend, but more than that. There was a collective presence; a sensation unlike anything I ever felt before. It seemed that I could feel the soul of the ship and her crew. That she and they were alive. There was an energy there and I was connected to it. I can't call it ghostly or spectral, because those terms tend to imply both a visible thing and some sort of fear or malevolence, and there was none of that. It was almost as though the presence knew we were there for them. It was truly astounding. To this day, though asked a number of times, I still find it difficult to describe the feeling, the emotion of that first contact.
I know that.

Can you believe how small those Destroyers were? Beam of 35 and 39'! And how many men were on them. Your Dad's ship, 283' with 193 men aboard. The USS Terry at 376', with 336 men aboard. Never related before that the destroyers had such different lengths.
Never thought about it 'til now, but it must have meant something real special to Dad when the four of our family were on the spot on the USS Missouri where the surrender papers were signed. Wish I could go back to that day knowing and feeling what I do now.
Yes I can. I was on the one pictured and it is way larger than the DE. I was on a Dealy class for two weeks waiting for it to come back to Newport RI from Cuba(Guantanamo).

I had put in for a Destroyer Tender but my name was too far down the list and drew the can. It help later in that my training/experience on the can made it possible to take the chief HT test and pass it first time even without be able to study. I went to my reserve center for my weekend and they told me that they had a test for me.

Jack

Yes I can. I was on the one pictured and it is way larger than the DE. I was on a Dealy class for two weeks waiting for it to come back to Newport RI from Cuba(Guantanamo).

I had put in for a Destroyer Tender but my name was too far down the list and drew the can. It help later in that my training/experience on the can made it possible to take the chief HT test and pass it first time even without be able to study. I went to my reserve center for my weekend and they told me that they had a test for me.

Jack
Salute!

My father was Machinist mate 3rd Class. I remember one thing he talked about was being IN the bow when the ship was in heavy seas.

I was in Portalnd at swan Island and yes to the Rogers but I don't remember the Hamner.

When I enlistd we had the McGinty then the Whitehurst. I went on active duty in 68 and came back in 70. There was a USS Brush? or Bush, can't remember the exact name or hull number. The Rogers came in just as I left the Navy Reserves so I didn't spend too much time on her.

In regards to being IN the bow during heavy seas, I know exactly how he felt :). Up tilt port or starbard and down. Rinse and repeat.

Jack

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top