JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Dang! Now that "The Line-Up Shop(s)" has closed who might know of a reputable front end shop in Portland? Seeing as the Honda dealer charges almost $500.00 to adjust 16 valves. And charges $122.00 for a Honda fan belt that I picked up (Honda Part) on line for $38.00, I can just imagine what the dealer would charge for, and replacement of, both lower control arms. I'd bet they'd be charging close to a grand for that job!

At one time. I'd say I'd do it for ya. However I haven't wrenched on a Honda in a minute.

Front ends on those things are not that complicated thankfully.

What's going on exactly?

Dang! Now that "The Line-Up Shop(s)" has closed who might know of a reputable front end shop in Portland? Seeing as the Honda dealer charges almost $500.00 to adjust 16 valves. And charges $122.00 for a Honda fan belt that I picked up (Honda Part) on line for $38.00, I can just imagine what the dealer would charge for, and replacement of, both lower control arms. I'd bet they'd be charging close to a grand for that job!
After the line-up shop closed we started using re-born automotive to do our front end alignment there in portland you could give them a try or see what they charge

At one time. I'd say I'd do it for ya. However I haven't wrenched on a Honda in a minute.

Front ends on those things are not that complicated thankfully.

What's going on exactly?

Oh, had the tranny serviced and they do a complete check over all and say the bushings (rubber) in the control arms are cracked. It makes sense at 104,000 miles as we've run a bunch it the hills/mountain roads mushroom hunting/exploring, down and back to SLC in January on funky, snowy roads. Seems to me those bushings could be compromised at this mileage. And, yeah, I watched the vids(even saw on guy replace just the bushings and reuse the arms. :eek: ) Not THAT bad of you have the press, time and other accouterments. As you say, it ain't brain science, but I'm not good anymore to be out on the ground with a floor jack and pounding away with a sledge getting the arm separated from the ball joint et al.

After the line-up shop closed we started using re-born automotive to do our front end alignment there in portland you could give them a try or see what they charge

Thanks for this. A big part of the problem is Honda's parts mark up at the dealer. It's NUTs! I would go an after market on these arms. Though I went with OEM on belt and idler pulley on line. Saved a bunch over dealer.

Bushings are fun. A press helps. I did a set once using a vise.

I was curious as the control arms are not something one typically replaces unless you run over a few cinder blocks or similar.

Bushings are fun. A press helps. I did a set once using a vise.

I was curious as the control arms are not something one typically replaces unless you run over a few cinder blocks or similar.

Well, on these, you do NOW. Funny, the vid I watched the guy in a nice clean shop with a lift. Took those arms off slick as you please. Removing ONE bushing was a simple press job. The other? Had a steel lip that covered the rubber, making it so you couldn't push it out one way. And the other way you couldn't use the piece of pipe to press the bushing into because of the lip on the bushing. The guy had to use an air hammer and split the bushing into pieces to get it out. DEFINITELY worth buying the whole arm, unless you had a full shop and liked doing that sort of thing to save $30.00-$40.00. In the driveway? Even with a press? No thanks. Not any more for this guy.

SOP at Honda dealership is to condemn compliance bushings for even superficial checking. We had customers come in weekly with the multipoint check sheet that they got with their dealership oil change. Compliance bushings always were highlighted in red. Sometimes they actually were bad, but usually just light checking.

Not knowing what year your CRV is, I looked them up on Rockauto for a 2005. Moogs are $72 each so probably about $160 with shipping to your door. It's a pretty easy DIY job. Likely won't even really need the alignment afterwards as long as it wasn't recently aligned on the bad bushings. Just keep an eye on tire wear for a few hundred miles. Or get it aligned just to be safe.

SOP at Honda dealership is to condemn compliance bushings for even superficial checking. We had customers come in weekly with the multipoint check sheet that they got with their dealership oil change. Compliance bushings always were highlighted in red. Sometimes they actually were bad, but usually just light checking.

Not knowing what year your CRV is, I looked them up on Rockauto for a 2005. Moogs are $72 each so probably about $160 with shipping to your door. It's a pretty easy DIY job. Likely won't even really need the alignment afterwards as long as it wasn't recently aligned on the bad bushings. Just keep an eye on tire wear for a few hundred miles. Or get it aligned just to be safe.

I get ya' on the dealer shop and "checking". My thinking is, the '05 CRV at 104,000 has had more off road miles, and rough snow/ice miles, that it makes sense they may be near end of life. I didn't get an all wheel drive to use just driving around town and long miles on the clear smooth open road. I'd rather NOT wait 'til I see tire wear. This isn't a 1970s Chevy pick-up. I was going to say ford, but they didn't' have lower control arms. :D

As far as do it myself? I don't have it in me anymore. Wish I did. :(

Appreciate the input. :s0155:

I follow this guy for the fun of it.. he's the Angry Ram guy..

I've been using Meineke a bit lately, they're not bad and coupons are online.

Ah, the good old days! Just think, I bet that maul of his could tell some stories. :D

Meineke huh? Being as this isn't a tricky replacement. At least as far as I can tell. I might give them a call and see what they say.

replace the whole part. the whole part all has the same mileage on it

You do this for a living if I'm thinking right? Would you really worry about mileage on the arm itself? I could see that a shop would insist on the whole thing new to avoid a situation where the arm may be tweaked in the slightest. Leaving the shop with a come-back for funky tire wear maybe.

What would you have to say about getting ball joints in while doing the arms?

Good shop;
Pro auto and Diesel in Scappoose.
15 minutes from the St. John's bridge on Hwy 30.

Problem is then I'd have to hang in Scapoose while the job gets done. Don't really care to take the truck too and just hang in the area. Too bad I don't salmon fish anymore. Could take both rigs, with the boat, and fish out of Scapoose Bay for the day!

At that mileage it's really hard to believe there bad. I don't trust any dealership now. If it had 250j mikes ok then I'd say it's time. It's a Honda

Yeah see, I'm not sure. These import things aren't the same as good old american iron of the past. My '84 C1500 2WD with 180,000 on the odo has never been touched in front. Still drives like a dream and never worn a tire funky. I've had that in places where passengers needed to get out and sit in the back of the bed for extra traction to get in/out of spots.

Yeah see, I'm not sure. These import things aren't the same as good old american iron of the past. My '84 C1500 2WD with 180,000 on the odo has never been touched in front. Still drives like a dream and never worn a tire funky. I've had that in places where passengers needed to get out and sit in the back of the bed for extra traction to get in/out of spots.
I disagree. The new ford and dodge trucks front ends are garbage. I've seen them go in 60,000 miles.

Ah, the good old days! Just think, I bet that maul of his could tell some stories. :D

Meineke huh? Being as this isn't a tricky replacement. At least as far as I can tell. I might give them a call and see what they say.

You do this for a living if I'm thinking right? Would you really worry about mileage on the arm itself? I could see that a shop would insist on the whole thing new to avoid a situation where the arm may be tweaked in the slightest. Leaving the shop with a come-back for funky tire wear maybe.

What would you have to say about getting ball joints in while doing the arms?
yes, i do. its OK to rebuild a part but like youre saying, if its tweaked at all or gets tweaked from installing new bushings, the guy wont know until its on the alignment rack. absolutely do ball joints at the same time.might be worth asking what the price difference is between parts and labor. should be less labor to replace complete control arms than to rebuild. if you get an estimate, feel free to PM me and i can look up and verify labor times for you to see if youre gettin a fair deal

Gotta love that OWM Honda mark up.
200% was the norm back in my day of wrenching.
The pull tags use to have the real price on them.
And taking the car to a dealer for service, BEND OVER.

I've always jacked the front end up and used a quality (taller than average) set of stands to get the vehicle to a comfortable 2ft working height. My jack stands are made from parts of early rearends. I'm not sure the axles (3-piece) they were built from, but they bolted to the pumpkin (ring/pinion) case.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR