JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I met Paul and Margay from the old Am North west morning show, back in the very early 80's they did a story on our school class and were with us the entire day, the film crew and both news anchors were simply awesome with us kids, we had lunch in the class room with them and each student was interviewed in front of the camera. I still have a copy of the news video and pictures our teacher took and made copies for each and every one of us! Man, I'm glad Paul is still around and doing well, those were certainly the better days of Oregon!

I seem to recall an expose' they did one time on inbred reform school classes untangling wire coat hangers.... was that you with the close-set a$$-eyes?

I'M KIDDING!!! :D

Wouldn't you be too after dealing with other people's snotty little smart-arse brats everyday? o_O

"Hey, sweater boy! Stop squawking and show us some more damn cartoons already! And where's my Pop Shop Pop?!"

I was on that show once. Wasn't nearly as much fun in the studio as it was to watch.

:p

What was the Name of Paul's co host back in the day, I have been trying to remember, and the interwebs are no help today. Really nice blond lady I remember, but cant for the life of me remember her name!

What was the Name of Paul's co host back in the day, I have been trying to remember, and the interwebs are no help today. Really nice blond lady I remember, but cant for the life of me remember her name!

The two I remember were Cheryl Hansen and "maybe" Tracy Barry.

6a010536b86d36970c0192ac8f4ea4970d-800wi_zpsjwzoxhgl.jpg

Only local celebrity I met that I didn't like was Ramblin' Rod, he was not a nice guy.

He had a little burger stand in Forest Grove back in the day and the word was he like to grab the young girls azzs. Dated a girl who worked there so she confirmed that. He had an airplane for sale some years back and myself and another guy went out to look at it. ( 1948 Stinson 108) He was priced about 10K above market value on it, and I asked him what he felt made it worth 10K more than the comparables I had in my file with me. Well, it is a classic, restored and a celebrity owner.

I said that is great but with all due respect you owing it does not make it worth 10k more. If you are interested in being closer to market price then we can talk, but we are not going to bother taking it up and wasting your gas and time. Well I am not moving off that price, so you wasted your time in coming out here. Yeah what ever Rod.

The plane sold at his estate auction about 3K above market at the time about 3 years after that. The guy still paid too much for it, since it sat for 3 years in an unheated hanger outside of Banks, was out of annual and needed a bunch of work.

Ya know, we always thought Ramblin Rod hated kids. That was the story on the street.

I've done a little research on the kid-show hosts in Portland since I was very young, and consensus is/was he was just busy and hoppin' all the time, and didn't have a free second to be nice, other than on camera.

My first knowledge of him was as a radio personality on a local radio station in the late fifties. He did a little radio show celebrity guest gig at the Gateway Fun-O-Rama parade and carnival. Remember, in the late fifties, not everybody yet had a TV, so folks knew their radio personalities. Rod Anders was a hit with the "establishment".

Now, since we've strayed slightly from the original topic,:eek:,

I remember very well many of the kids show hosts in Portland. My all-time favorite was Addie Bobkins. Rusty Nails, Uncle Charlie, Dr. Zoom, Mr. Duffy, and Heck Harper were some more. I have met most of them many years later as an adult, and most of them talked of their absolute blessing of being a kids show host. They loved their job. And they were enamored that I wanted to talk to them.

Mr Duffy

ADDIE BOBKINS AND HIS TRUSTED FRIEND "FEATHER"

Portland Kid Shows

Hands on Portland: Dr. Zoom und Robot Ralph

LOCAL TV PERSONALITY CHARLIE LaFRANCHISE

You've got me on a roll, now. Didja notice the A in the corner of Uncle Charlie's photo? Back then, KPTV (channel 12) was the ABC station in Portland. Before that, KPTV had affiliations with all three major networks. Eventually we had a whopping three channels to choose from. Then came along the (educational) channel 10, and we wanted to gag.

WAYNO.

Last Edited:
The Gateway Fun-O-Rama parade and carnival, now that takes me back. Hec Harper rode horses and had a square dance band and Mr Duffy was in real life Frank Kincaid who always reminded me of the wizard from The Wizard of Oz.

Wayno, we got our first tv in 1958 after my grandmother passed away. It was hers, a Packard Bell cabinet model with doors. I stlll have it the cabinet today. Anyway the TV stations did not go on the air until 4 pm which meant since school got out at 3 and I was home by 3:15 usually there was a 45 min gap in which was first just snow and then the station test pattern until the station went on the air. Quite a different world than today.

Wayno, we got our first tv in 1958 after my grandmother passed away. It was hers, a Packard Bell cabinet model with doors. I stlll have it the cabinet today. Anyway the TV stations did not go on the air until 4 pm which meant since school got out at 3 and I was home by 3:15 usually there was a 45 min gap in which was first just snow and then the station test pattern until the station went on the air. Quite a different world than today.

We were so deprived, we actually watched the test pattern as long as it was being broadcast.

Oh yes, a different world.

We got our first TV about 1957. Nothing but problems. Dad sold it, then bought a new HotPoint TV from Woodland Park Lumber in Gateway. Nice TV, but spent a lot of time at the local grocery store testing and replacing tubes.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top