JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
ruled by lords in castles and living in a time when electricity is a far-off dream for most, but don't let that take away from you that it is also a very beautiful place in which to live or visit. My FB pal, Dave Hudspeth, is an amateur photographer of some note and has graciously given me permission to post this image he took last week of Wastwater, situated in the NW of England - the area known as The Lake District.

I thought you'd like to see it. No lords or castles here, no electricity either, just the wonder of the place.

1649692276804.png

For years I've wanted to rent a narrowboat and cruise the canals…. (But not too many locks though) 🙂
Some of the rural countryside and canals look amazing!

1649714047436.png
1649714206445.png

Last Edited:
ruled by lords in castles and living in a time when electricity is a far-off dream for most, but don't let that take away from you that it is also a very beautiful place in which to live or visit. My FB pal, Dave Hudspeth, is an amateur photographer of some note and has graciously given me permission to post this image he took last week of Wastwater, situated in the NW of England - the area known as The Lake District.

I thought you'd like to see it. No lords or castles here, no electricity either, just the wonder of the place.

View attachment 1174991
You don't seriously think people think this do you? I've been to England and it was an ok experience, nothing special. It was nice to see all the historical places and I had just come from Paris and caught something so I was sick most of the time but sadly the only thing that stood out is how incredibly rude a young woman was because I didn't know that I had to leave the bus in a particular way.

Yes, England. You know- Fish, Chips, Cup o' tea, bad food, worse weather, Mary ****ing Poppins, England!

Yes, England. You know- Fish, Chips, Cup o' tea, bad food, worse weather, Mary ****ing Poppins, England!
I can see that you are the web-site expert on England, right?

Given your obvious knowledge, I'll forebear to post any more about the place that so many of your fellow countrymen seem to make their home, in spite of all the stuff you mentioned.

PS - you DO know that 'Mary Poppins' is not a true story, right? And that Dick van Dyke is not really a Londoner, in spite of his incredibly cringe-worthy attempt to sound like one? Just checking.

I can see that you are the web-site expert on England, right?

Given your obvious knowledge, I'll forebear to post any more about the place that so many of your fellow countrymen seem to make their home, in spite of all the stuff you mentioned.

PS - you DO know that 'Mary Poppins' is not a true story, right? And that Dick van Dyke is not really a Londoner, in spite of his incredibly cringe-worthy attempt to sound like one? Just checking.
You did recognize the movie, right? By an English director in fact.

While I respect your English pride, I will argue that the natural beauty of England does not really compare well to that of its former colonies from it was chased out, or ones it could not hold after Winston left office. The British empire, it died with Winston as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not English.

You can argue until you are blue in the face - I could care less.

I was not attempting to persuade ANY American that England is the most beautiful place on Earth, let alone somebody who is clearly still living in 1776, simply showing what I think is a beautiful place for the delectation of people here for whom England has more to offer than your sad little litany.

I'm not English.

You can argue until you are blue in the face - I could care less.

I was not attempting to persuade ANY American that England is the most beautiful place on Earth, let alone somebody who is clearly still living in 1776, simply showing what I think is a beautiful place for the delectation of people here for whom England has more to offer than your sad little litany.
This escalated quickly.

Last Edited:
Yup. I post a nice photograph of a nice place.

And you rip me a new one reminding me what a terrible place this really is, how the UK is a dump compared to its pre-end of Empire days and and how its imperialistically-exploited colonies were/are much more picturesque, how it makes c*appy movies and how dire the food and weather really is.

Ever thought of a career as a diplomat?

If it gets up your nose so much, please just turn the page.

Wales and Lake District are two places I would like to go. Been to Ireland a few times and it was absolutely wonderful. I would go there every year if I could afford it.

Last Edited:
Ever think about taking your own advice? The attitude you've had in this thread, and others, comes off quite abrasive and defensive sometimes.

Anyway...
View attachment 1192815

-Robert
Ah, gotcha. Posters here can make any amount of disparaging remarks about a country where somebody else happens to have made their home and that's just fine and dandy.

I'll remember that.

Anyhow, it's nice to know that you've been reading enough of my posts over the years to form an opinion about them.

Last Edited:
Don't let your knickers get in a bunch tac.

Those of us who have been members here for more than a year (geesh) always appreciate your contributions to the forum.
You have just witnessed an example of another pointless annoyance we are seeing here with increasing regularity.
No call for this, but apparently something we have to put up with for some reason.
Thanks for the great pic.

Ok, let's recap...

Thread starts with "I know that there are folks here who think that...." mildly implying people here, on this forum, aren't educated enough to know better.

So I, and others, reply in jest. My reply was a line from a Guy Ritchie movie, albeit modified.

OP gets his panties in a wad...

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews