JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I decided to build a Ruger 22/45 LITE and get a suppressor for it. I've now got the gun and it's all assembled with all of my chosen goodies. Just need to hit the range and sight it in.

One thing is still missing however, my suppressor. I don't even know where to start with this.

I'd like some suggestions on what suppressor to buy. From what I can see on various websites and video reviews the Silencerco Sparrow seems to be the best overall. Any other suggestions?

I'd also like some information regarding trusts.

Why use a trust? Who sets them up? Are lawyers needed (if so, suggestions)? Can I have a trust that includes myself, my Dad, and a very close friend? Do we get to share the items this way? Do I even need one for a Suppressor?

Sorry for all the questions, but most of the info I keep finding is pretty old and doesn't really work with the current laws.

ruger 22-45 sm.jpg

Silencerco has a nfa trust template on their website. I believe it's around $130. The instructions are pretty straightforward. You can print it out and then sign the documents in front of a notary. Take two copies of the signed/notarized trust to your gun shop and and pay for the silencer. The gun shop will have you fill out the rest of the required paperwork. Mail all documents to Atlanta and wait. If I missed a step I'm sure others will chime in.

I hear that the ATF is trying to close the trust loophole(December from what I hear) . If anything I'd go with the trust route as you don't need to go through the chief law enforcement(as of now).

My go to guy is Jason from jc weaponry. I've talked to him for a bit about the different 22 cans and he says hands down the best one right now is the tactical solutions axiom, with a close second on YHM stinger.

As Jason was all out of stock he suggested I go through silencershop.com and make him my Local dealer. Which I did, this way saves me 50 dollar transfer fee, as silencershop pays for it.

I'd like some suggestions on what suppressor to buy. From what I can see on various websites and video reviews the Silencerco Sparrow seems to be the best overall. Any other suggestions?
The Sparrow is an excellent choice for your first can. It is easy to take apart for cleaning, which is important for .22lr shooting. I also have a silerncerco Spectre II. It is about as quiet as the Sparrow, just not quite as easy to disassemble, but still not a deal breaker. It is a solidly built can and less $ than the Sparrow. I got it from JC Weaponry. I'll buy from Jason again. Good customer service, great prices.

I'd also like some information regarding trusts.

Why use a trust?
You don't need CLEO sign off for your purchase. You don't need your photo taken. No finger prints needed. Other trustees of the trust can use your NFA item without you not needing to be there.
Who sets them up? Are lawyers needed (if so, suggestions)?
You can do it yourself, but my preference is to use a lawyer. I got my trust from http://nwgunlawgroup.com The bronze trust is affordable and very specific to NFA ownership. I wouldn't personally use Quicken WillMaker to make my trust. Keep the original trust locked up in the safe. Only send in a copy of the trust.

Can I have a trust that includes myself, my Dad, and a very close friend? Do we get to share the items this way?
Yes. As the guy you sets up the trust, you are the grantor. You can name who you want to be trustees of the trust. They can use the can.

Do I even need one for a Suppressor?
Only if you want to avoid the requirements for individual ownership or want to share the can.

So here is what I did for my 1st can:
1. Got the bronze trust from NWgunlaw. I edited the trust name to make it shorter. You can also add/remove trustees on your own. Took it down to my credit union to be notarized.

2. Bought the Sparrow from DanDee Sales because they had the can in stock and the price was good. The dealer filled out his part of the Form 4 paperwork. Told me what else to fill out and gave it to me to mail.

3. Mailed a copy of my trust, the 2 copies of the Form 4, and a personal check for $200 to the BAFTE. You do not need a separate checking account for the trust.

4. Now the hard part. When I bought the can, wait times where much longer than current wait times. I waited 11 months for the call to come get the can. It was worth it. It is stupid quite on a bolt action rifle. You can easily hear the pin hit the round when you pull the trigger. Definitely a hearing protection device.

Happy to try to answer any specific questions you might have.

So it sounds like the trust is a convenience thing, as well as a way to share/pass on the items. Both of which are useful traits and it makes more sense now why people are using them.

I've done a bit more research on Suppressors and found that the AAC Element 2, the Liberty Regulator, and the Spectre 2 all seem better than the Sparrow. FRP (First round pop) is an issue for me as I'd like to use the pistol for hunting as well as target shooting.

I fill out the schedule "A" with the manufacturer, caliber, serial # and add "Pending Approval" where the stamp issued date goes, then update the schedule A when the stamp shows up.

Last Edited:
I've done a bit more research on Suppressors and found that the AAC Element 2, the Liberty Regulator, and the Spectre 2 all seem better than the Sparrow. FRP (First round pop) is an issue for me as I'd like to use the pistol for hunting as well as target shooting.
FRP can be eliminated with a small spray of water into the can before shooting it the first time, if FRP is a concern.

I got a question. If you buy from silencer shop do you fill out the schedule a on the trust before you fax/email the trust to silencer shop?
I wouldn't. For your first purchase, the only thing on the sched. A will be was you started your trust with. People usually use a $1 bill. That is what I went with.

I fill out the schedule "A" with the manbufactuer, caliber, serial # and add "Pending Approval" where the stamp issued date goes, then update the schedule A when the stamp shows up.
Or that's another way to do it.

Really, it doesn't really matter as long as there is 1 thing listed on the schedule A when sending it to BATFE.

FRP can be eliminated with a small spray of water into the can before shooting it the first time, if FRP is a concern.

I wouldn't. For your first purchase, the only thing on the sched. A will be was you started your trust with. People usually use a $1 bill. That is what I went with.

Or that's another way to do it.

Really, it doesn't really matter as long as there is 1 thing listed on the schedule A when sending it to BATFE.

What do you mean $1? Do you just put $1 and write down the serial number of the $1?

The issue I have with that is that I want to carry the gun while hunting small game. I don't want to have to deal with carrying a spray bottle with me also....

I solved that particular problem when I sprayed the inside of my Sparrow with Loctite Nickle high temp never seize.
I applied it for ease of cleaning, but it added the extra benefit of reducing the first round pop.

1852753.jpg

It's well worth the wait and money spent.

Just make sure you can take it apart to clean it.

If its mainly for a pistol take a look at the Tactical Solutions Axiom, its all titanuim so its as light as and more durable than the aluminum cans.

Stainless are more durable and you can use the dip but heavier.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top