JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Have any of you ever lived in Alabama?
I have a opportunity to move at the end of summer. housing would already be taken care of. Just have to feed myself & find a job in 30 day's, that shouldn't be a problem.
Let me know when y'all think
About it.
Thank's

It would be in or real close to Dothan
Haven't been there specifically, but it's just up from Panama City Beach where I'd surf when I lived in Fort Walton Beach. I'd really say it depends on your value system and priorities. The South is a whole other country. I loved the food and the beaches, but the culture/people left a lot to be desired for me. There are pros and cons, like everywhere. Just depends on what's important to you

If the job falls through for any reason, can you find similar work in the vicinity? If not, are you willing to absorb the cost of another move?

Wage relative to the cost of living there?

People/culture?

Climate? Weather/storms?

Have you ever been there? You may wish to visit before you move there. If you don't like it the time to find that out is before you relocate. This is true no matter where you're thinking about moving to.
We lived in TX for 3 years (not the same I know, but probably culturally similar to some degree) and I really liked it.

Haven't been there specifically, but it's just up from Panama City Beach where I'd surf when I lived in Fort Walton Beach. I'd really say it depends on your value system and priorities. The South is a whole other country. I loved the food and the beaches, but the culture/people left a lot to be desired for me. There are pros and cons, like everywhere. Just depends on what's important to you

I have heard this on more than one occasion from many people.

My brother lived there when he was at Command and Staff college. His whole family really enjoyed the experience (keep in mind that before that they were in Minnesota, and before that New Jersey.) It was one of his more enjoyable stations.

I spent close to a year near Dothan 08-09 at Fort Rucker. The weather was hot and sticky, the hurricanes weren't terrible but made for a lot of rain and cleanup, and the Army chow was decent. :)

That was the height of the recession, Dothan was very much a struggling community, and main street had as many boarded up joints as it did bankruptcy lawyers. Panama City wasn't so bad when I could make it down, and the frog legs at the Chinese food buffet were pretty alright. I'm sure it's changed quite a bit since then, but I couldn't tell you what direction.

I like Alabama. Never lived there but spent some time there. It was more modern in parts and more orderly overall than I expected. They've done a good job of attracting industry. Airbus, plus several auto manufacturers.

if I was single and unattached I'd definitely roll the dice and go.

Last Edited:
Checked out Atlanta, Tallahassee and Houston before deciding on Oregon.

If you have lived in the west coast your whole life, the culture on the east coast is very different.

One thing I've noticed about the East coast and or south eastern areas. Old money. The division between the wealthy and poor is much more noticeable than on the west coast. There is wealth in the west coast, but not like the East and south. Their is centuries worth of wealth over there. Here it's all new and there is definitely more opportunity from my life experiences have shown thus far.

Another thing, humidity like a mother! We didn't stay long but wow!

"The South is a whole other country. I loved the food and the beaches, but the culture/people left a lot to be desired for me."

Just the opposite for me. I was looking forward to the Mexican food in TX and was I disappointed! Totally different type of Mexican cuisine from what I was used to and I didn't like the difference. OTOH, I really liked the people.

I will admit that when it comes to food I'm spoiled by The Beloved's culinary skills and thus easily disappointed by sub par offerings in a restaurant. We seldom dine out (Chicom Flu being irrelevant) because we hate to pay for a meal that's not as good as what we usually eat every day.

"The South is a whole other country. I loved the food and the beaches, but the culture/people left a lot to be desired for me."

Just the opposite for me. I was looking forward to the Mexican food in TX and was I disappointed! Totally different type of Mexican cuisine from what I was used to and I didn't like the difference. OTOH, I really liked the people.

I will admit that when it comes to food I'm spoiled by The Beloved's culinary skills and thus easily disappointed by sub par offerings in a restaurant. We seldom dine out (Chicom Flu being irrelevant) because we hate to pay for a meal that's not as good as what we usually eat every day.
I've had better Mexican food in Wenatchee than I've had in Mexico.

Having lived in Alabama, the Florida panhandle, and spent more time across Texas than I can think of, there is no comparison between Texas and the deep south. From my experience, Texas has its own culture that's deeply rooted in its heritage with Mexico, ranchers and cowboys, oil, and their pride in The Alamo and the independence that fight stood for. Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and the Florida panhandle are deeply rooted in their history of Cajun, agriculture, and their pride in the civil war.

As someone who loves food, I don't go to Texas for southern or Cajun cooking and I don't go to the deep south for bbq or Tex-Mex

The division between the wealthy and poor
This is one of my big takeaways as well. You have the very wealthy who don't work for a living and the very poor who barely get by, with the majority of those in between being on the lower income end of the spectrum

after taking a shower, you could never get dry.
This isn't an exaggeration. In the summer, at least on the coast, you don't dry off. I'd take 2 shirts to work with me so I could put dry ones on throughout the day

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top