JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a R700, I think BDL, with a heavy barrel in 223. I plan on using this rifle for varmints, coyotes mostly. Currently that barrel is 26". I was thinking about having it cut down to 20" or 22" and having it threaded. I'd like it to be a bit more wieldly and have the ability to throw a can on it. I figured that before I go through the cost of doing that I'd ask about whether or not I would be screwing up my rifle and if it would be worth the cost. Outside of a decent piece of glass everything esle on the rifle is pretty much squared away, including a Timney trigger. Would appreciate some input. Thanks

If its a true blued varmint BDL with a walnut stock (not the wide forend) with the ebony forend, you might not want to do anything to it. They are worth money if in good condition.

You can get a 20 inch barreled SPS tactical AAC for around $600 and its all good to go as you described.

My suggestion is to do whatever you want with it. But, once you start doing things to the Barrel you may or may Not see the same accuracy.

That is what I was concerned with. Probably would be smarter to get another rifle (like that is ever a bad decision) or rebarrel it. Thanks for the input.

The Tikka T3 CTR with 8 twist don't suck. Remington, for some reason, still does a lot of 12 twists. The "tactical" models are often 9 twists, but then again, you'd be taking the current remington roulette.

People have forgotten what was common knowledge in the 60's and 70's. There were many short barrel bench rest rifles. Barrel length (within reason) has no effect on accuracy. It will reduce terminal velocity but not enough for any critter to notice. My new sniper rifle is a Remington 700P LH in 20" 7.62 (fluted) barrel. I use a quick disconnect Gentec silencer and a Harris bipod. It came from the factory with a H&S stock and an XP40 trigger that is set to 1/4 pound. The rifle consistently produces one hole 4 round groups at 100 yards.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top