JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a disorderly conduct I charge in Oregon ORS number 166.023 it is a class A misdemeanor. It has been 6 years since all fines and bench probation has been paid and served. Can I purchase or own a firearm?

Eligibility For Purchasing A Firearm

1/1/06

All State and Federal Laws Will Apply Regarding the Sale of Firearms

You Must Be a Resident of Oregon for Handgun Purchases

You Must Not Have Been Convicted of a Felony nor Be Under Indictment or
Information for a Crime for Which the Judge Could Imprison You for More than One
Year

You Must Not Have Been Convicted of a Domestic Violence Misdemeanor

You Must Not Have Any Outstanding Warrants for Arrest

You Must Not Be Limited by Conditions of Probation for Possession of Firearms

You Must Not Be a Person Who Is Free on Any Form of Pre-Trial Release While
Awaiting Trial for a Felony

You Must Not Have Been Committed to the Mental Health Division as a Result of a
Mental Commitment Hearing

You Must Not Have Been a Person Found Mentally Ill and Have Been Specifically
Prohibited from Purchasing or Possessing a Firearm by Court Order as a Result of a
Commitment Hearing After January 1, 1990

You Must Not Have Been Convicted or Found Not Guilty by Reason of Insanity During
the Previous Four Years for the Following Misdemeanors:

Assault 4th Degree
Menacing
Recklessly Endangering

Strangulation
Intimidation 2nd Degree

You Must Not Have a Restraining Order Against You for Harassment, Stalking, or
Threatening an Intimate Partner or Child of an Intimate Partner

You Must Not Be a Fugitive from Justice

You Must Not Be a User of or Addicted to any Controlled Substance

You Must Not Have Received a Dishonorable Discharge from the Armed Forces

You Must Not Have Renounced Your U.S. Citizenship or Be an Illegal Alien

<broken link removed>

Also, be sure to keep your terminology straight... a person can be "charged" with anything but the "conviction" is what counts. Back in the 90's I was "charged" with the Class-A misdemeanors of Menacing and Assault-IV merely for (literally) breaking the back of a guy I caught breaking into my house, however the charges were ultimately dropped and I was not "convicted", despite having spent one night in jail.

I've never had one problem with the scores of background checks I gone through, including clearances to do HVQC snd boiler repair work in the local FBI buildings, and State prisons around here.

if it has been 6 years since the day your were charged and everything else was finalized in court, you could have bought a gun as soon as your probabtion period was done and over with IF you were to buy from a FFL. You could have bought a gun from a FTF if this was not a felony and you had no other assults or among the list of other things that prevent anyone from buying a Firearm the day after court. Now, you can even get a CCL or CWL how ever Oregonians call them as soon as three years I believe after a misd. charge....please check, this could be 5 years, but with you in 6 years of all being done and no other Missdyssmyguns. The other key note is aslong as your sentence, whether your served a day of it or none of it and it was was stayed, it cannot exceed 365. Go out and buy your guns from whom ever and get your Permit to carry. Good luck, and don't sweat it.

Also, be sure to keep your terminology straight... a person can be "charged" with anything but the "conviction" is what counts. Back in the 90's I was "charged" with the Class-A misdemeanors of Menacing and Assault-IV merely for (literally) breaking the back of a guy I caught breaking into my house, however the charges were ultimately dropped and I was not "convicted", despite having spent one night in jail.

I've never had one problem with the scores of background checks I gone through, including clearances to do HVQC snd boiler repair work in the local FBI buildings, and State prisons around here.

As you were arrested and the charges were eventually dropped if you were to look at your "rap sheet" the entry would show a line item for each charge with the incident/arrest date and under the disposition it would be noted "DFOJ" (dismissed for furtherance of justice) or similar depending upon the state's particular notations. On occasion the disposition posting can fall through the cracks and trigger a flag that delays firearms purchases as they forgot to note that you were found not guilty or charges were dropped.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top