JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I need to buy a new elk pack frame. Some good options out there for external frames with a bench and straps...

My strategy is to keep the pack frame in camp or truck and hunt with a daypack. After the first load, usually the tagged head carried by hand (i.e.: awkward) or jerry rigged to the daypack (again, awkward), retrieve the larger pack frame for hauling the quarters.

Before I buy a new pack frame... I'm interested if there are any options out there for a "one pack does all"... a tall order I know but just curious. Is there a day pack that can also haul meat?

my google-fu finds this one: http://outdoorz.alpsbrands.com/products/extreme/traverse-x

I like the way it looks but not seeing it in person I cant judge how well it would work?

I'm interested in all options

thanks in advance.

Find your self a bull pack and take a large Alice pack to adapt to that bull frame.. you can easily fit all your gear and a elk quarter in that set up.
I think you mean an external frame. My hunting partner did that this year with a smaller frame and an alice pack and it worked great, he helped me haul my elk out.

I'm looking for an internal style frame for all day comfort and mobility. More like a day pack... Im asking for a lot considering the load it would have to carry to also haul an elk quarter. It may not be practical with a very large elk, or may require to bone the elk quarters in the field (extra work in the field...).

I've found a couple more options to consider with the Alps one I linked above...

Tenzing T4000 <broken link removed>
What I dont like is the meat haul area they put close to the back, I would think adds/traps heat to the meat as you hike out. This could be an issue if you had a ways to go in warmer weather.

Badlands 2200 http://www.badlandspacks.com/badlands-2200-hunting-pack
this one has a fold out meat shelf on the outside of the pack keeping it cooler. I like how it has 3 horizontal compression straps to haul meat. It also adapts pistol holsters to the hip belt. Im heavily leaning towards this one...

sspro.scene7.com%2Fis%2Fimage%2FBassPro%2F2004442_1302230546245%253F%2524Prod_Thumbnail%2524&f=1.jpg

again, if anyone has any experience with any of these kind of packs I would love to hear how you like or hate them...

that Eberlestock pack system looks like the ultimate and gear hauler thanks for sharing.
The are built well,but mine is a little heavy.But caries very comfortable.
<broken link removed>
H2HT%20sm.jpg

This may not be exactly what you are looking for but I figured I would show what I was talking about. This is about the cheapest you can get into any Eberlestock pack at a buck 79

US Tactical Supply is a local stocking dealer, Albany, as well as on line for these Eberlestock packs. Watched a guy drag a buck out by the horns with his rifle secured in his pack scabbard. Made me a believer when I saw that.

Another option is Kifaru out of Colorado. Another all American made brand.

I have 2 badlands packs and love them both.

One is a hydra pack that I use for around town and very short out of town trips.

The others the Super day pack.
Has 2 pistol holsters, a boot to carry a rifle or bow on the back and tons of attachment points.

It is very comfortable and I believe the middle compartment is meant to haul meat but I'm not 100% on that.

Lifetime no questions warranty but like the other fine packs listed above, your looking at close to $200. Try them on at a store then Internet buy it- you can generally save 20-35%.

Do not buy a pack you have not personally tried on yourself for fit!!!!;)

I have an Alps OutdoorZ Trailblazer pack. I managed to get a rear quarter strapped on it with part of it tucked into the rifle/bow carrier that zips out the bottom. I had to use an extra bit of paracord to secure it and even then it was wobbley and unstable but it made hiking on even ground easy. My elk was a small spike this year, this wouldn't have worked for a large bull (by midnight in the rain I was thankful it was just a small spike...). I somehow lost an old pack frame and figured I could wing it this year.... I obviously made do but it was really the help of my hunting partner that saved the day helping hauling that elk out of the hole we got him in. Thats my story and reason I'm looking at a new meat hauling pack.... I wasn't fully prepared.

(I dropped him about 4:30pm and we had him out by 11:30. I figure if I had to do it alone it would have taken double the time but I woulda done it. That means I would have finished about 6:30 am... maybe a little less if I subtract the time it took to gut and quarter him. Crazy how much work it is)

What I want is a day pack that's comfortable hiking in, that can haul meat out if I empty it out after hauling the head out on the first load. I figure I can buy a new frame pack to swap out after the first load, or find a new day pack that can do it all. The latter is what I'm interested in if I can find one convincing enough. So far, the Badlands 2200 pack is the one I'm most interested in. Bonus points if it holsters a pistol.

I like the ideas coming in, the Eberlestock packs look bomber and the Kifaru packs look great too. These are the suggestions I'm looking for. I'm in no hurry to buy considering.... I certainly have time to think about it and shop around.

I certainly have time to think about it and shop around.
Should be on sale pretty soon
The Sportsmans warehouse in Silverdale wa stocked a ton of packs.I would ASSume most of htem would no? Should be able to find some store to check a few out
And there are tons of holsters out there made to strap to back packs.Crap everything has molle? on it now,lol

Should be on sale pretty soon
The Sportsmans warehouse in Silverdale wa stocked a ton of packs.I would ASSume most of htem would no? Should be able to find some store to check a few out

Im having less and less faith in the stores having exactly what I want... I most always am forced to buy on line these days. The stores are good for trying something new, or when you need something to get you by.

Badlands get my vote. I have packed out several heavy loads with external frames and they are nowhere near the Badlands. I use my monster pack and would feel confident filling it full of concrete and it not failing or hurting. Lots of padded support and tough as nails.

Badlands get my vote. I have packed out several heavy loads with external frames and they are nowhere near the Badlands. I use my monster pack and would feel confident filling it full of concrete and it not failing or hurting. Lots of padded support and tough as nails.
good to know, thanks for the reply. I'm still leaning to the Badlands 2200 pack as my first choice. Will have to wait till after Christmas though...

What did Santa bring you?

Inquiring minds and all that...:rolleyes:
no hunting gear :(

Sportsmans has a huge selection of the packs I'm interested in this thread, the Badlands 2200, the Alps, and Eberlestock external frame haulers.

I tried them all on and undecided and actually impressed with the Eberlestock frame. Surprisingly my first pic, the 2200 felt too big for me and I didn't like the way the side wings pockets were formed into the hip belt... although I can now tell this pack will haul heavy meat loads despite being an internal frame, its its larger size that supports that.

Anyways, I have time to think about it and am also sidetracked with an AR build....

I wound up getting the Eberlestock Frame.

The Badlands 2000 pack is a nice pack but its a compromise between a day pack and a meat hauler.... its too frikin huge for a "daypack". Its also expensive.
The Eberlestock frame is modular and customizable but its bare frame is solid and will haul anything. I figure for most hunts close to the truck or camp I can continue to use my daypack. For farther hunts or pack trips I can strap my daypack to the Eberlestock frame.

I'd give another thumbs up for the Eberlestock. I have a tail hook and the X1A1 model. The rifle scabbard is great.
You'd have a rough time getting a large hind qtr in it though. For me it's not too large for a day pack and you can haul meat in it. You could easily get a boned out deer in it.

Let your buddy haul out the hind qtrs and share the elk with him:s0090:

You'd have a rough time getting a large hind qtr in it though.
I was wondering about that, it isn't exactly a 'full size' frame pack... but I think it would work ok for a large elk quarter but I'm thinking for monster size bulls it would fit the frame better to fully bone out the elk.

One thing I want to do is swap out the load straps with longer ones. This was a small compromise in the decision but quality webbing isn't expensive. It just seems like the ones that came on my pack are too short for large loads...

from the Eberlestock webpage...
F1Bg.png

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews