JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My 17 year old son is going to have a total hip replacement in about a month. He had to miss this last season because of his issues. Opening day of deer season this year I damn near lost it in the woods when the sun came up, as it was the first year he wasn't with me out there. Needless to say, I am over the top excited at the thought of getting him out in the woods again. The doctor says he should be good to go in about 9 months. From my personal experience, what doctors say and what sometimes happen aren't always the same. Have any of you had, or known someone with a hip replacment who has continued hunting? Are you able to cover as much ground? Is agility affected much? Any pointers for when we get back there to make him comfortable? I don't want to break the kid (again) but man, I can't wait to glass clearcuts and beat brush with him again.

I'm sorry to hear about this. I wish him a speedy recovery. I miss that little guy! Well, I guess he's not so little now! What's it been, 4 years at least, since I've seen him.

I think the incentive of the next hunt will give him the drive to make it happen. Just might need to hunker down sometimes and not try to cover so much ground.

Unless, of course, he's like my boy and now more into friends and girls than hunting. That made me loose some excitement about a hunt. But I know he'll be back to it one day.

Best wishes,

Bill

Every one heals somewhat differently. I had both knees replaced at same time in 2015 and buddy had both hips done The same week by the same surgeon. He's a few years older. I was in better shape He healed a bit faster than I did but I was more mobile. Metal knees are wonderful but aren't the same as your old ones. I suspect hips are similar.

We each experienced some balance troubles and tromping through reprod post bilateral replacements is definitely more of a challenge. Skidder roads not much different than before except less pain. My knees no longer twist like a normal knee so balance is affected and I fell more than before, especially with a pack on. His hips lacked flexibility so getting up with a heavy pack was different and seemed harder for him. Bending was also more of an issue or so it seemed. Might not be different with only one side done. Otherwise for me hunting was better than before surgery. By a lot. Watch the tougher trails and going through obstructions and obstacles. Take things slower (which for me as a bow hunter is good thing) and I bet he will do great.

Garmin GPS will keep you found. OnX too if you downloaded the correct off grid map. Good luck in the coming season.

My 70yo mother had a hip replacement in October and she just got cleared for full activity, but they broke her leg, which happens in about 10% of the surgeries. Probably more common with older patients.

Why does a 17yo need a hip replacement BTW?

PS, the videos on YT OF this procedure are crazy. The Dr pounds on that rod like he's framing a house.

You lost me at 17. What on earth happened?

in regards to the rod pounding. Yes it's true. It's a wrestling match with the leg. That's why the docs wear a space suit because of blood spatter. While listening to acdc

Have him listen to the physical therapists. Hopefully he will have a cute one to work with.:D
My dad had his hips replaced in his mid 60s. Within 6 months he was skiing, and conducting a normal life. They didnt slow him down at all. In his 80s, he was trimming a hedge, fell off a 12' ladder, and broke his hip at the femur. Replacement #2, but one leg had to be shorter than the other. That slowed him down a little.

I'm sorry to hear about this. I wish him a speedy recovery. I miss that little guy! Well, I guess he's not so little now! What's it been, 4 years at least, since I've seen him.

I think the incentive of the next hunt will give him the drive to make it happen. Just might need to hunker down sometimes and not try to cover so much ground.

Unless, of course, he's like my boy and now more into friends and girls than hunting. That made me loose some excitement about a hunt. But I know he'll be back to it one day.

Best wishes,

Bill

Cogs, He sure isn't a little guy any more. The "boy" is 5" taller than and has about 50 pounds on me! Unfortunately (for him) he hasn't been after the girls much yet. This all started about two years ago and he has been pretty much stuck at home for the last 6 months. I am hoping that I still got at least one more season left before he realizes that he can be chasing skirts instead of bucks. Thank you for the kind words

You lost me at 17. What on earth happened?
[/QUOTE
Kind of a freak condition. He had what is called a SCFE. You'll have to google it because I can't spell what it stands for. Basically the ball in his femor fell apart at the growth plate. Multiple surgeries and a few pounds of hardware later the kid is still having problems. There is some deformity in there and all the cartilage is pretty much gone. The surgeon, one of the best in our area who has done thousands of these, said my son is the youngest patient he has performed a hip replacment on.

I would caution you to be especially careful with say two inches of snow, might apply to a heavy frost actually. Sliding down a slick vine maple, white fir branch, or off a rock surface could sit you down fast. One of my worst falls was ON a downhill spring snow field; slid right into that boulder with my shin.
Watch your footing and pick up your feet. Pick them up even higher!
Good luck hunting

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads