JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I worked Hunter Sight-In Days this past Sunday at Douglas Ridge Rifle Club. For $6 per rifle, folks could come in and sight in their rifles for hunting season and just for general use. I worked as a coach helping people sight in their rifles

It never ceases to amaze me some of the things I see when I work these. I've actually come to view it more as a public service than anything else. You have to realize that the majority of the folks who come out for this probably fire their rifle just before and during hunting season and then put it away until next year.

A few of the more interesting events:

Had a guy who walked in with a Remington 7mm Mag. The ammo looked like it was very old or possibly handloads where the brass had not been tumbled. He was all over the paper at a Hundred yards and had trouble getting groups any smaller than a desert plate. I asked:

"Where did you get your ammo?"

"From my Uncle."

"Where did he get it?"

"I don't know."

"Does your uncle reload?"

"Yeah, I think he makes his own ammo."

"Is this ammunition he reloaded?"

"I don't know." :s0054:

He next brought out a Rem 700 in 30-06 with Winchester Silvertip factory 180Gr ammo and was getting decent groups. As he was leaving I tried to tactfully suggest, "You know if it were me, I'd probably use the 30-06 for your hunt this year with the same ammo you used to sight it in today".

Scenario 2

An older gentleman came out with a brand new Weatherby in 30-378 Weatherby Mag and a Nikon scope that he said he just bought from Wholesale Sports (formerly Sportsman's Warehouse) and that they mounted and bore sighted it for him.

That was my first warning.

Using factory Weather by ammo we could barely keep him on the paper until we checked the scope mount and rings. They had installed the wrong bases and the rear screws, if they were ever there at all, appeared to have worked them selves loose enough where they weren't even there any more. He was hoppin' mad and said he was going back to Wholesale Sports and get all his money back.

In fairness to Wholesale Sports he was back the same day and they seem to have fixed the problem, but it didn't even appear that they had loc-tited the screws.

Again to be fair, if there is anyone from Wholesale Sports on this forum that can provide their side of this story, please chime in.

All in all an entertaining day.

I love going there to sight in when they do this for people. Everytime I have went I had a really enjoyable time. My spotters have never rushed me, they always had some really good input and the safety on the range is imeasureable. Everytime I print out the form to join from the website, I end up spending what would have been my dues on another gun before I send my paperwork. Im sure Im going to be joining very soon as now my two boys that are 7 and 9 will begin hunter safety course in january. so I know they will want be active there when they can.....

I was out there on Sunday and sighted in my rifle, first time out there. What a great experience...spotter/helper was extremely helpful and got us set up pretty quickly; took 9 rounds. We also went over the military area and I fired up a .30 cal (semi-auto) browning, the new Ruger 556, and the venerable M1 Garand...what a great time! Best $10 I spent all week!

Anyway...looks like an incredible range and everyone we interacted with was very helpful...none of the "gun elitism" that plagues some places.

Thanks to all you guys that went there and for the kind comments. :) Anyone that would like the nickel tour of DRRC some weekend, just PM me and we can talk about setting up a range day.

Heck, maybe we could even make a group event for folks interested in inquiring about becoming a member. I would be glad to talk about setting something up like this with the club board. We're always looking for folks that want a good safe place to shoot. Please see our web site at:

http://www.douglasridge.org/

Mods, if this post isn't kosher, please feel free to delete.

I went out sunday. Great place and very friendly and helpful people.
I got a new scope this year so the day before I took it to wholesale sports to have it bore sighted. I got out there and shot three rounds and never hit the paper. My spotter took me over to get it re- bore sighted. Shot at a 25yrd target three times. It was dead on. Went back to 100yrd and shot three more. Made one more adjustment and shot three more dead on.
Should have taken it to them in the first place. I was amazed at how well the guy at the range could bore sight it and get it right on target. I was very happy to say the least.I dont know what happend at wholsale sports. Could have been many things. The guy was helping me and kept getting interupted by other people.

tinman One of the things I like about DRRC is the range of knowlege of some of the members. Whatever kind of problem you may be having, whether with your weapon or with your shooting, someone there has probably seen it and knows how to fix it.

tinman One of the things I like about DRRC is the range of knowlege of some of the members. Whatever kind of problem you may be having, whether with your weapon or with your shooting, someone there has probably seen it and knows how to fix it.

Thatis one of the things I came away with. All the people there seemedto know what they were doing. To me it was money well spent.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top