Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

How often do you clean and inspect your carry gun?

Discussion in 'Defensive Carry & Self Defense' started by Medic!, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Medic!

Medic! What just happened? Has eagle eyes. But cant remember what he saw. Bronze Supporter

About every week [Or whenever I clip my fingernails] I break my carry gun down. And clean off all the fuzz with a toothbrush.
    Both inside and out.

And don't laugh! Fingernails make a great reminder. ;)

Then I lube it and reassemble.

Over the years I have caught a few problems. I've found rust. Sites pushed to the side. And all manor of dirt and crap in my carry guns.

If you want to have a little fun at the next BBQ. Just ask a buddy you know that carries to see his gun.
    Make it safe and look it over.

You may both be surprised at what you find. :D

2. edison bulb

edison bulb Portland, OR Well-Known Member

"Hey, you carrying your 6" Python today? Can I see it?"
    Like you, the two primary carry guns are cleaned once a week (On Sundays). Glock 19 is broken down, quick brush over, light lube, and done. The Ruger SP101 gets a dust down and very light oil.

3. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

You wouldn't be knocking your sights around if you would just stop "prison smuggle" carrying your EDC.

:D

4. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I usually shoot mine once a month at least (or try too) so that's when it gets cleaned.

I've never had an issue with lint or anything else gumming it up and never clean it right before I go shoot it.

Having said that, I wish I had the dedication to clean and oil mine once a week.

As pointed out, I was really unhappy when I found a hint of rust on a gun I'd not seen in a little bit so I would benefit from recleaning all of my guns every now and then, shot or not.

etrain16 and Medic! like this.
  5. 308

308 ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ Platinum Supporter Silver Supporter

Inspect every day. Clean, once a week because I love to run my fingers over those perfect Glock curves :D

AustenW, The Courier and Medic! like this.
  6. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Perfectly..... straight lines. LOL

(I EDC a G30)

nwwoodsman likes this.
  7. Kruejl

Kruejl Hillsboro Moderator of the Coriolis effect Staff Member Gold Supporter Silver Supporter

I have a ritual where I drop the mag, pull the slide back enough to check for my chambered round, then put the mag back in the well. I clean it a couple times a month with a fast wipe down and light lube. Of course, if I shoot it, it gets the full treatment.

decklin likes this.
  8. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I don't break it down regularly, but I do routinely blow out any obvious fuzz and give the outside a wipe down. Then, every so often, I do break it down and do a deeper clean. I have yet to experience any kind of issues that would threaten the operation of the gun.

Just as a side note, I wanted to put it through its paces to test it as a carry gun. So I ran it, without cleaning it at all, for over 500 rounds. Not a single failure, it assured me that I was going to be carrying a reliable gun. While I wouldn't let it run that dirty now as my regular carry gun, I can be assured that it can handle quite a bit of dirt.

M&P9c, by the way.

9. CoastRange57

CoastRange57 Western Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Every Friday or Sunday. Drop the mag, rack the slide, use the computer air on it, couple of drops of lube on the slide work it back and forth, reload good to go. Takes less than 2 minutes.

If one or two of the boys come by we usually run a couple mags through them, then do a break down clean up while enjoying a cold beer.

Ura-Ki, gryghin and Medic! like this.
  10. edison bulb

edison bulb Portland, OR Well-Known Member

The well lubed pistol
    is whisper clean and efficient.
    Ready day or night.

Ura-Ki, ogre and Joe13 like this.
  11. OutlawHoss

OutlawHoss Klamath-Siskyou Well-Known Member

I 'system check' every three or so days: admin unload after practicing a pull-check, drop the mag, brush down the lint traps, run the bore snake through, re-check that's it's clear, holster fully and draw and dry fire, repeat. I reload the round from the chamber, tap the mag a few so they're seated, and put it in Condition Two (hammer down on loaded round, safety on, full mag). Every ten days or so I field strip and lubricate and function check. Of course this routine is subject to other events, but what I do on average. Of course I practice as often as I go to range, more in the summer than the winter.
    Ruger P85 9mm, 147 gr. XTP +P

Joe13 likes this.
  12. revjen45

revjen45 Snohomish County Well-Known Member

Any time I see green fuzz growing out of the muzzle. :p

13. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

If I remember that I have it someplace in my truck when at the range,I'll shoot it. Then if it's dirty,I'll clean it. Most of the time it goes back to it's hiding place,um, a,well in there someplace

Joe13 likes this.
  14. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

Every 1-2 weeks. Every week in the summer when I sweat all over it.
    If I take it out and notice more lint/dust/dirt than normal Ill take it apart as well as the mag. Wipe it clean, run a patch down the barrel to get any other gunk out then reassemble.

Range firearms are different.. But my carry pistols I take pride in keeping absolutely immaculate.. Who knows.. That built up lint in some of these small pocket pistols may be just enough to cause a jam when you need it the most.. I figure keeping everything spotless prevents any controllable failures.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  15. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Man you guys are a bunch of dirty folks:p:D

How much lint and dirt do y'all carry in your pockets??? It's not part of my EDC:rolleyes:

I gotta agree though, it's all about preventing what you can so its not a problem later.

etrain16 and ZA_Survivalist like this.
  16. ZA_Survivalist

My exes all say Im a dirty man.. Im unsure about the context. :D

Ura-Ki, etrain16 and Joe13 like this.
  17. etrain16

It's those dadgum publix hairs o_O

Ura-Ki and ZA_Survivalist like this.
  18. bolus

bolus Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I got reminded of cleaning a day I went to the beach last summer. I had my carry gun with me and didnt do anything other than walk though it was windy.

The day after getting home I did a quick function check and the inside was just covered in sand from the wind. I could not even rack the slide completely it was so bad. Glad I didnt need it the day before.

Good lesson for a daily function check, look at the interior and then once weekly clean

Ura-Ki, kod38, Medic! and 2 others like this.
  19. etrain16

I see your pocket sand and raise you:

11178197_10207608779962083_7114406185686473690_n_large.jpg

pocket-sand-640x533.jpg

Ura-Ki, Craig O, The Courier and 5 others like this.
  20. ZA_Survivalist

That video made me laugh so hard.

Ura-Ki, Craig O and Joe13 like this.