JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
1st, I try to be situationally aware and vigilant. Thus I avoid (stop and robs). 2nd, I don't frequent areas where I see graffiti in red and blue colors. A quick education in local gang grafitti for Bloods, Crips, Surenos, and Nortenos, can be valuable to help you avoid high crime neighborhoods.
I carry an Airweight .357 in my pocket. Not so much to protect me in this senario, but to allow me an opportunity to get to my truck where I have a folding stock, 300 BO with 3 extra mags.
in answer to your comment. It depends on your neighborhood, your lifestyle, and the locations you frequent. It will be different, say if you live in East Portland, or you live in Sodaville.
in response to those who will berate my choice or lack of choice in a holster. I have spent decades experimenting with numerous carry options and this works when I'm wearing shorts and a T shirt, or in colder weather with jeans and a jacket. I thoroughly love the comfort of walking around town, putting my hand in my pocket and knowing I'm a split second from deploying way weapon, without anyone being wiser.
Before all ya all lose your mind, stop it. I've trained in NRA pistol, rifle, and shotgun instructor courses, I've trained with Clint Smith with carbines and I've met Colonel Jeff Cooper while attending Gun Site for their pistol, rifle, and shotgun courses. I've taken military SWAT courses, and tactical instructor courses, I've worked as a police firearms instructor for 24 years and I've worked at the police academy. What self defense options and the safety precautions I take, have been thouroughly considered. My first consideration, is survival, my second, if possible, is to use my little gun to get to my big gun. I have tried to compensate for having fewer rounds in my carry pistol, by being quick and accurate. My theory is that if you run into six bad guys and you can shoot five of them in the face, the sixth will probably be seeking cover, as am I.
Good luck to you pistoleros in training, I love you all, you are never truly alone. We are legions and unlike many of these gangbangers. we will still run, or even limp towards the sound of gunfire.

I don't have any plastic frames, but I do have a little single stack 45ACP on its way. I will post a picture if it doesn't get lost in the mail.
Said I would post it if it showed up. (Cross posted to "What Did You Buy" thread).. Funny thing is that it came with 10 magazines...So I may need one of those 10-magazine Filing Cabinets.:confused:
1037436-0cc12eb3c5b588b5a653312e3c32d37c.jpg
uiP220set2.jpeg

Is this the kind of scenario you personally prepare to deal with on a daily basis?
As mentioned by others the conditions one is in would dictate that response..
If I was a clerk working the nightshift at a convenience store in Portland or Seattle would be very different than if I was selling State Farm insurance in small town nowhere Montana or Wyoming.
I would be more heavily armed in the first scenario.

As mentioned by others the conditions one is in would dictate that response..
If I was a clerk working the nightshift at a convenience store in Portland or Seattle would be very different than if I was selling State Farm insurance in small town nowhere Montana or Wyoming.
I would be more heavily armed in the first scenario.
+1. Circumstances dictate needs, which is why having multiple carry options is a good thing. Bad things can and do occasionally happen in my area but fortunately those tend to be few and far between. If I'm carrying around my neighborhood, doing runs to the grocery store or gas station, I don't feel undergunned with a subcompact .380 and a spare mag (2x 8rd mags total).

If I'm consciously planning to visit a more dodgy area, a compact 9mm (i.e. G19) with 1 or 2 spare mags is my go-to. If it's just a bit dodgy I might carry a single 15rd spare mag, whereas if it's on the worse end of the spectrum I might carry two 22rd spares. That being said I prefer to avoid those places if at all possible, so most of the time I'm just carrying the .380.

Sometimes things come up and I have to detour to a sketchy area unexpectedly. In those situations I still don't feel uncomfortable or under-gunned not having the 9mm on me - situational awareness is really more important than what you carry. I would just prefer to carry the 9mm over the .380 if possible when going to those kinds of places.

In portland no where is safe IMO. We were woken by a shooting sat morning about 100 yards away and we don't live in a thug area. Houses start at $750k here. I didn't go see what kind of rounds were used cuz I didn't want to bother the cops. Franklin school had a shooting during a basketball game the other day. It's bad everywhere in PDX.

I have the mentality that nowhere is safe. Not in Oregon or any other state. Violence happens everywhere.

Complacency kills. Stay frosty friends. Carry a gun EVERYWHERE. Even a quick 10 min run to the store. No excuses.

Train like you fight.

EDC Main: .45 ACP 25 rounds of 230 JHP, 8 rounds of FMJ
EDC Backup: 9 Kurtz (short) .380 ACP 22 rounds.
Backup, truck: "Mouse Gun" 16" Franken-AR, .223 Wylde, 201 rounds M193.
Main, truck: FN-FAL, Franken-FAL folder, 18" mid contour, 201 rounds 168gr mono.

Other: Flare pistol, various shotgun (does it matter what it is if it always works?), Calumet Navy MKII Knife, 5/8" diameter cable choker 36" long, tire irons (both types),
and...
My dog hates tweakers.

I feel prepared but under armed. :)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR