JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Started with a Bear 50# recurve when I was 16. Shot it for years at targets. When I was in collage I took archery as an easy, required credit and ended up assisting the instructor. Positioning the honeys was great fun! In my early 20's a shoulder injury ended drawing a bow, but I just picked up an older Martin compound and am acquiring the tackle to try her out! At least I can draw it.

I shoot a High Country Trophy Hunter. Made in Lewiston, Idaho. Have had it since about '88. Have harvested one elk and one deer. Started archery hunting this year again after about a 12 year layoff.

Archer for over 40 years. Still have my Bear Kodiak Recurve, purchased in 1972. But now hunt with a 2010 Mathews Z7. Have shoot Martin, Mission and PSE too. Son shoots a Hoyt, which might be the best shooting bow I have tried. I will be bow hunting Coast Cow Elk after Thanksgiving. I did switch shooting sides (right to left) several years ago after tearing shoulder and biceps, which has been a little challenging, but I still shoot my rifle right sided, fortunately.

Dear Lord ! Where to start ???

How about with the bows I've owned over the years first ? Stemmler recurve, Shakespeare recurve, Herters recurve, Herters recurve/compound convert, Bear Alaskan 4 wheeler, Wing Thunderbird 2 wheeler, Martin Warthog Uni Cam, Martin Cougar II 2 wheeler, Jennings Unistar, Jennings T-Star Hunter, PSE Pro Shop custom elite, PSE Fire Flite, PSE Mach 5 ( current bow ). Have had more up close encounters with wildlife thanks to the skills I aquired as a bowhunter than you can begin to count both hunting and just being out there . Far more intense and exciting than rifle hunting and I am no hippocrite as I do both. I've shot Port Orford cedar arrows, aluminum arrows before and after colors were made available, fiberglass composite arrows and carbons from the beginning to now. I've hunted birds on the wing ( highly recommended ) large and small game, varmits of the 4 legged variety and punched thousands of holes in paper. Had equipment failures due their best to physically damage me or try to embarass me to death and spent majic moments afield with my children to include seeing bears in the wild and actually witnessing a cougar kill a deer. So Many memories are rushing thought my little brain I cant keep track of them all. All this and yet I have known others that make me look like a dabbler, all of them very humble and great people. Have shared great days on a 3D range with a group of people I had never met until that day and left with more friends both young and old from longbow shooters to full blown serious 3D target masters. I cant imagine what my life would have been like were it not for Archery. Age is slowing me down but I havent hit stop just yet.

My son started shooting traditional bows. I watched him one night and had to drag out an old bow I bought at a garage sale. It only took 3 weeks and I was in the market for a better bow. I picked up a Mathews Switchback XT. We started shooting every Friday night. I made the mistake of taking the wife... She now shoots a Mission Riot and very well I may add. I bought my son a Hoyt compound for his birthday. He now shoot it more than the traditional bow.
You might be asking yourself, why did he spend so much money on bows and arrows. I was spending over $100 per week shooting pistols. Now I spend $12 for all 3 of us. Bows are much cheaper and they are quiet. Wish I had started 20 years ago.

I love bowhunting! I try to bowhunt something at least once a year, usually deer because it's easy, because I am normally trying to find one of my kids a deer or two during rifle season. I also coach a NASP team here in Eugene, actually the only one, lol. I did a pretty extensive broadhead testing series over on ArcheryTalk, ballistics gelatin and shoulder blades.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

Another Archer here.

I have over 30 firearms and 4 bows in my arsenal. All of my hunting is done with a bow. Archery offers a higher level of satisfaction to taking an animal and it's a great past time. Sure it's a he'll of a lot more work, but when it comes down to it, the sense of accomplishment is ten fold. Not to mention the seasons are better for bow hunters, and you don't get the masses of people in the woods. Archery just makes you a better hunter!

I'm not selling anything, just offering a recommendation. I put on a lot of miles when bowhunting. My handgun of choice to pack with me is a Ruger LCR (lightweight composite revolver) chambered in .357 Magnum. It only weighs 17 oz. unloaded yet offers manageable recoil and great accuracy. If you really want to cut the weight down, the Ruger LCR .38 special, weighs only 13 oz. I chose the .357 because I like the superior performance of this caliber. .357 Magnum will fend off most 4 legged and all two legged predators. I can also shoot .38's from it if I so desire.

John

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads