JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
How long ? I did not know about it till a couple of years ago. It is hard to find in the RCW's because it is not under gun laws but is under Dealer/FFL part of the RCW's. Only guns transferred through an FFL apply to the registration. JUst another reason why I594 is so bad.

Oregon forces gun FFL purchasers to give the make/model/serial of all guns sold during a B/G, I'm more than positive that the OSP keeps the records.

Whoa! That's messed up!

What's "messed up" about it?

Seems pretty clear to me. It's a de facto gun registry but only of handguns purchased at retail, so it is somewhat worthless and well behind date.

Gottlieb tried to get the thing eliminated in a 'background check" bill he tried to craft, but the anti-gunners tried to stiff him and he pulled out of the negotiations. The bill died.

It is not a registration per say. You do sign papers to buy a gun and if you use a CCP then that handgun stays with the ccp.
BUT!!!
If you sell the gun you are not required to sign ANY PAPERS whatsoever,so there is NO registration in WA state.
Used gun sales are not required to go thru ANYBODY.
So to answer your question,I would say never,no length of time

That negotiation here in WA last year and the Toomey negotiation proved that B/Cs are really about registration and therefore confiscation. Its unfortunate because, to be honest, in a perfect world where I was guaranteed that my rights would not be further abridged, I like the idea of keeping guns out of the hands of risky people and being able to remove them from the possession of people who are going nuts like the Santa Barbara shooter. It's the only thing I can think of that could further reduce the number of incidents we get blamed for. But it seems we are at an empasse if we cannot secure our rights against the anti's attempts to prepare for future confiscation, since we cannot simply roll out the red carpet for them.

If my read on the strategic situation is correct then I think that we will probably have to eventually give in to the idea of BC's (barring a SCOTUS decision that clarifies the 2A very much in our favor which I think is unlikely). If we don't then I think that we will be seeing more and more bans at the state and possibly national level - the only way this will not happen is if we succeed in waging a massive educational campaign to correct the misperception that propaganda and biased news coverage has caused. Personally, if that comes to pass then I would rather see us helping to make sure such a system is crafted in the most favorable way possible for us than to let the loonies do it all by themselves. We should try our best to get a lot out of the deal - e.g. remove the use of firearms charges as plea bargaining chips, create a national a ban on banning certain types of firearms, revocation of all state level bans, bullet buttons, and mag limits, maybe even throw away the NFA.

<-- * ducking now before the tomatoes start coming my way *

<- Why there aren't any school shootings in Israel!
Teacher with long gun slung over her shoulder!!!

It is not a registration per say. You do sign papers to buy a gun and if you use a CCP then that handgun stays with the ccp.
BUT!!!
If you sell the gun you are not required to sign ANY PAPERS whatsoever,so there is NO registration in WA state.
Used gun sales are not required to go thru ANYBODY.
So to answer your question,I would say never,no length of time
What's a "CCP"? If you mean a Concealed Carry Permit there's no such thing in WA, here it's a CPL (Concealed Pistol License) since it only covers pistols and nothing else, like assisted opening knives.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
NRA Golden Eagle member
Defender of Freedom Award
NRA Recruiter
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

Last Edited:
don't listen to the lib b/s there is no reg in WA, now under ffl yes

bubblegum them commie bubblegums

<- Why there aren't any school shootings in Israel!
Teacher with long gun slung over her shoulder!!!

What's a "CCP"? If you mean a Concealed Carry Permit there's no such thing in WA, here it's a CPL (Concealed Pistol License) since it only covers pistols and nothing else, like assisted opening knives.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
NRA Golden Eagle member
Defender of Freedom Award
NRA Recruiter
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"
OK thank you permit police. You understood what I meant didn't you?
Oye vey

I wouldn't say it isn't registration since they probably do keep the data and it is a place for them to start looking.

The next step would be to pass a law that BGCs are required in gun shows - as they did in Oregon - and require make/model/serial number there too.

Then start requiring the same of any other private sale.

At that point the government has in place a full de-facto gun registration system.

Almost anybody who has ever bought more than one firearm has purchased at least one retail. Then your name is on a list of doors to knock on, when they start demanding people account for their "bad" guns, as is or will happen in Connecticut.

And all in the name of Background Checks.

I had someone the other day complain about "gun nuts" and wondering how the "gun nuts" could be against Background Checks. I pointed out the above to that person and that shut them up, at least in that venue - I am sure it did not change their mind.

My father, for decades, would not buy a gun retail for these reasons. Only once, after he retired and went to a gun show with me, did he buy a revolver from a dealer.

I wouldn't say it isn't registration since they probably do keep the data
They do. The info is sent to The Department of Licensing in Oly to be entered in a data base. If I594 passes in November ( requiring BGS meaning transfers of all sales or gifts ) the registration of all future sales will be registered. As of now, it is still registration, just not complete registration.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads