JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
How is the ammo and components shortage changing your shooting?
Ive been looking at the ammo situation and what I have in stock for ammo and reloading components and Ive decided to concentrate on PCC's this year. Ive got components to build a few thousand 5.56 on top of the couple of thou in loaded ammo I have and the same in 300 BO but rifle loading takes a lot of powder. Pistol ammo not so much and I'm sitting on a good 10K of primers for small and large pistols. Ive got a couple of 45 ACP AR's and in 9mm the usual HK pattern stuff and some SBR bogs and AR's. Loaded a thousand 45's this morning . The CMMG rotary guns are fun in 45 . Did an update to my Bullet Hose truck gun today with a Rhineland forend. Only non SBR AR I own besides a 20" A2 clone. So, PCC's it is this year.

Hopefully its going to get better for primers. Been a LONG time since Ive seen them for sale.

Pre meltdown I was shooting 5000-7000 per year. I think I can keep up a 3-5k per year rate for 2-3 more.

tlBd0e.jpg

Last Edited:
Almost zero impact.

There were a couple calibers we were a little light on, but no biggie. Others we've got plenty off. And the niche stuff I rarely or never shoot, so doesn't matter any more than during "normal times".

I've even considered dumping a decent chunk of .223 Remington / 5.56x45㎜ because I'll never shoot it and it would bring a few bills. But it isn't worth the time and bother. (Time is, and has been for a while, horribly short in this phase of our life.)

So combination of being prepared, buying a little when semi-reasonable, and, candidly, declining interest in it all adds up to a big shrug.

I have at least a couple k for each weapon/caliber I own.
All my local outdoor spots are still closed/burned out.
My local indoor range is kinda limited.
I'm still not really convinced I'll ever be able to replace 2 year's ago .30 cent (Much less - 1 year agos .45 cent !) 5.56 ever again. So even if I have stock - every round is actually 3 - 4 round$ worth of cash to replace. "That" mindset is starting to sink in now. (I'm old - I remember all the old scares. I think this is different.)

I am getting really good with my .22 target skills though. So, there's that. :)

I used to buy ammo when I could afford to do so...never in bulk , I am talking of the odd $20 - $50 I had saved up.
Now not some much...as ammo is scarce in the gun shop and more expensive there as well.

I have ammo "saved up" for what I shoot...and luckily a good supply of lead and flints...
Powder and caps are still out there...and I buy them when I can.

I shoot what I like , and replace what I can , when I can....while I am not "happy" with the current ammo situation , I will live through it.
Andy

Probably about the same for me.

Been shooting a little more frequently than normal but with less rounds per session.

I only own two semi auto rifles, three semi handguns with the rest being levers, bolts & revolvers & one single shot but and those get shot the most for relaxation and ease on ammo stocks.

HIgh capacity 'running & gunning', mag dumps etc. is WAY to high strung for me!

Last Edited:
It's affected my milsurp shooting for sure. 6.5 carcano was pretty hard to find beforehand and I doubt any factory in the world is cranking out much iof it at all at this time. I dropped the ball on loading for 8mm Mauser, so my supply dried up :(. I can find 30-06 components, but not the "right" ones. Oh well, just have to enjoy the history a little less often.

Also when shooting semi-auto anythings, I don't shoot full mags. Everything's a 10 round mag despite potential capacity as I can make it last just a little longer that way, even though by the numbers, I'm not short on the normal popular stuff.

Well, it aint a Sharps but I play 'Quigley Down Under' with one of my 26" WInchester model 94s - I just load it single shot and break clays and bounce cans at 100 Yards!

Even a lever action can go through a lot of ammo with as fast as they can be cycled.

Im dropping down to bi-weekly trips to the range for now, and only shooting a hundred rounds each time.

not going to keep stocking up at these prices, and I will drop to monthly range visits if prices climb even higher.

Haven't been doing much shooting at all the last 3-4 years so it hasn't effected me at all. Once the WIllys Jeep is done and I have some free time I have plenty of ammo and makings to keep me happy.

Weather and timing more than ammo but I do shoot less. That said, I was never a pray and spray plinker. I really got into shooting during the last shortage. That set my pace more or less.

I have not been shooting since late 2019, weather, health, then the CCP Virus I have bought ammo several times since the last time shooting, 1,000 rounds of 10 MM, 500 OF 40 S&W, 200 380 ACP and 400 9 MM The 9 was Polymer coated and did not seem to cycle in my handguns, but the stronger spring in my AR-9's makes it look usable for them. I have adequate supply of 22LR and Magnum, 327 Federal, 38 Spl, shy on 357 Mag, okay on 357 Sig, enough 10 MM.. Set on 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

Rifle ammo, Okay on 223/5..56, good on 30 M1 Carbine, shy on 30-30 and 7MM Mag, Hurting on 308/762 x 51.

I am forced to wait on vaccinations as I am too susceptible according to the Warden.

I've been picking up AR15 ammo on and off for the last couple of years. Was doing the same thing with primers and power for 9mm but that supply is dwindling. I would say that shooting is more controlled not knowing when more will be available.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top