JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
On some of the full auto firearms that I have experience on....
With practice , one can fire single shots .

In any event , this was done with practice and not reliant on trigger pull weight.
Andy

Last Edited:
Huh…..

B15CABD3-B6A6-4828-BADC-63C79CBEAEA8.jpeg

I wonder if he is referring to a progressive trigger, a short pull is semi auto and a long pull is full auto.
From Wikipedia:
"Progressive/staged trigger

A progressive, or staged trigger allows different firing rates based on how far it is depressed. For example, when pulled lightly, the weapon will fire a single shot. When depressed further, the weapon fires at a fully automatic rate.[7] Examples include FN P90, Jatimatic, CZ Model 25, PM-63, BXP, F1 submachine gun, Vigneron submachine gun, Wimmersperg Spz-kr, and Steyr AUG."

I wonder if he is referring to a progressive trigger, a short pull is semi auto and a long pull is full auto.
From Wikipedia:
"Progressive/staged trigger

A progressive, or staged trigger allows different firing rates based on how far it is depressed. For example, when pulled lightly, the weapon will fire a single shot. When depressed further, the weapon fires at a fully automatic rate.[7] Examples include FN P90, Jatimatic, CZ Model 25, PM-63, BXP, F1 submachine gun, Vigneron submachine gun, Wimmersperg Spz-kr, and Steyr AUG."
Doubtful. Not too many of those in civilian hands. I've heard lots of gun myths in the past, and now I can add another to the list. I'm sure someone once told the op that if you have a really light weight trigger, it can accidentally fire multiple rounds. Nonsense.

Well, if the gun in question happens to be an Ingram M-11 .380, I doubt that even the 6 million dollar man has the reflexes necessary for a single shot. With some, if you want a single shot you load a single round.

Color me confused.

You're describing the trigger of a fully-automatic pistol, here?

If you're firing a select-fire weapon then "squeezing off an extra round" is the whole point.

The U.S. Military M16s and M4s triggers are single stage spec'ed to have minimum pull weight of 5.5lbs and maximum of 9.5lbs.

My primary triggers are Geissele SSA which is a 2-stage with a total pull weight of 4.25-4.75 for GP and Geissele SSA-E which is also 2-stage with a total pull weight of 2.9-3.8 for precision rifles.

Military M16 platform triggers are two-stage. At least all that I saw or handled while in. I just checked with a friend of my son who just separated from the Corps and all he used and saw were two-stage as well.

My sten can easily get a single round, (even if it isn't just a jam) but it's a sten that needs a new spring so there is that. But normal handguns do not go full auto, and full autos cost around 10k-50k or more and require about a year wait and extensive federal background checks.

I've been told that at a certain poundage, a properly trained shooter doesn't need to worry about accidentally squeezing off an extra round in Full Auto.
It's bump firing, and a weak grip or trying to ride the reset will get you unintended double taps or more.

A 3.5 SA pull and a short reset on my Sigs will do double taps easy if you are not used to it and try to ride the reset.
The AR9 I had with a CMC 3.5 trigger would do a mag dump if you had a poor grip and bad trigger control.

I'm sure someone once told the op that if you have a really light weight trigger, it can accidentally fire multiple rounds. Nonsense.
Agreed. That was my first thought even though "full auto" was mentioned in the OP.

Certainly not the craziest thing I've heard coming from someone not too familiar with firearms. Cut the guy a little slack, eh!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top