JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a Ruger 10/22 that frankly has sat in its case most of its life. I own a Savage Mark II and the trigger on the Savage is SO sweet that I just never shoot the Ruger, which comes with the worst factory trigger in the world.

Maybe I exaggerate...but the 10/22's factory trigger is really bad.

I was thinking that rather than let my 10/22 sit all unloved and lonely, I would put a little effort into it.

So I know I need a new trigger. And, I suspect, a better barrel. I came across "The Ultimate Ruger 10/22 Manual and User's Guide" by Mark White and will be reading that.

I don't hunt so this is just for target shooting. I am not interested in making it into some sort of assault rifle wannabe :)

Any suggestions welcome.

Assuming that the stock you have on the gun now will not fit a .920 diameter barrel, you can do a lot with just a new Hogue stock and a quality barrel. There are lots of options out there and a little reading on rimfirecentral.com will give you more info than you'd ever wanted to read :)

One of the hot trigger groups for 10/22's these days is from Kidd. He now sells everything you need to pimp out your 10/22 but his stuff is pretty pricey. http://www.coolguyguns.com/

You could easily spend north of $1000 and it basically comes down to how much you want to dump into your 10/22

Sell it. It's a money pit. People dump hundreds and hundreds into these things to get rewarded with what. A 22 that still can't shoot as straight as a low end bolt action. Why do you think there are so many "custom"!!!! 10-22s for sale on the classifieds all the time the desired effect is never reached. It's a great short range fast action plinker. Dump a grand into it and you have an over priced short ranged plinker.
That being said yes I have one yes I love it yes I spent too much on it

Oh by the way I reccomend the carbon fiber barrel keeps it nice n light

Sell it. It's a money pit. People dump hundreds and hundreds into these things to get rewarded with what. A 22 that still can't shoot as straight as a low end bolt action. Why do you think there are so many "custom"!!!! 10-22s for sale on the classifieds all the time the desired effect is never reached. It's a great short range fast action plinker. Dump a grand into it and you have an over priced short ranged plinker.
That being said yes I have one yes I love it yes I spent too much on it

Oh by the way I reccomend the carbon fiber barrel keeps it nice n light

I agree. The 10-22 reminds me of the 60s and 70s when I worked as a VW mechanic. Because of the popularity of those vehicles there was a huge after-market of parts availability. People would spend fortunes adding accessories to their cars. They wanted a VW to be like a Thunderbird? But, no matter how much they shelled out, they still had a VW. If that's what they wanted I would do it (We'll do ANYTHING for money), but It seemed silly to me. But, it is your money, so spend it as you like!

I have a Ruger 10/22 that frankly has sat in its case most of its life. I own a Savage Mark II and the trigger on the Savage is SO sweet that I just never shoot the Ruger, which comes with the worst factory trigger in the world.

Maybe I exaggerate...but the 10/22's factory trigger is really bad.

I was thinking that rather than let my 10/22 sit all unloved and lonely, I would put a little effort into it.

So I know I need a new trigger. And, I suspect, a better barrel. I came across "The Ultimate Ruger 10/22 Manual and User's Guide" by Mark White and will be reading that.

I don't hunt so this is just for target shooting. I am not interested in making it into some sort of assault rifle wannabe :)

Any suggestions welcome.

If you are wanting a target rifle sell the 10/22 to help finance a real target gun. By the time you spend what is needed and still aren't happy with the results you will loose at a minimum 50% of the value/money you have into it. Now if you are wanting to spur the economy on, by all means spend that $1,000 at the local gun smith. I myself would rather spend $500 on a bolt gun and a scope.

Raindog, just a trigger job will make a world of difference without replacing ANY parts. Try that first, then move on to replacing parts if you want to.
+1 on rimfirecentral for a wealth of information.
And if you're going to sell it, sell it to me :D

If you shoot open sights like hi power or military, a 10-22 can save you alot of money in ammunition if you use reduced size targets at 25 yards. I set mine up to simulate an M1 Garand/M14 by replacing the stock sights with a Tech Sights TS-1 (increases the sight radius), a polymer buffer to reduce noise, an extended magazine relief and a bolt-hold open available from suppliers like Volquartsen, and an M1 carbine sling. Total cost maybe $150 or so. You can extensively refine your technique with this rifle before you pull out the bigger, hungrier guns. All you need to practice then is your elevation and windage adjustments vs. your entire technique.

Keith

WOW! alot of 10/22 haters here. I'm very surprised.
Here is my opinion.... Install a Volquartsen hammer and sear. This will drop the trigger pull noticeably. Do a little polishing of the trigger parts where they contact, and polish the inside of the receiver where the bolt rides. These few things will make it a much more enjoyable experience.

If you want to upgrade to a bull barrel, Green Mountain makes great barrels, and they are very affordable compared to some of the other brands. Stay away from carbon fiber barrels, they are rumored to be spotty, accuracy wise.

Upgrading to a .920 barrel either requires a new stock, or sanding out the barrel channel on your original stock to fit the larger diameter. There are at least a hundred stocks available for a 10/22, and it is only limited by how much money you want to spend.

I suggest that you do some research for yourself, and do what YOU want to do. The 10/22 is a wonderful platform to make a rifle into something that is personalized to YOUR specifications, and pretty darn fun to shoot too!

Rimfirecentral.com is the best 10/22 resource on the net. Have fun!

Here is a pic of mine...

RatAttackTack005.jpg

I am with SquackDaddy. A VQ hammer and sear will fix the trigger somewhat.

Why build up a 10/22? Because it is fun. Good for poppin eggs at 100 yrds. Here is one I built for my son. Mostly VQ, not much Ruger left in this one.

10222.jpg

I've had one for a long, long time now -- longer than I care to remember. The best ting you can do for it, right out of the box, is to run a couple of hundred rounds of good ammo through it. It'll turn like a top forever after that.

Those are nice looking 10-22s SquackDaddy an Hawaiian.
Never tried an egg but rolling golf balls around at 100 yards is sorta fun.
I just cleaned the stock parts up polished were needed and added a mid $$ optics.
But now I am thinking of a nice winter project those do look nice.
Best Wishes

If I wanted a tricked out $1,000 10/22 then so be it. I don't, but that's just me.

Some day someone can pry my Remington nylon 66 and my nylon 77 (both bone stock) from my cold dead hands. :s0114:

I have the 10-22 stainless steel version on my "honey dew" list (Honey, dew I have your permission to buy a 10-22? If not now, then when?) She always says I don't need another gun. Some kinda mumbo jumbo about "you can only shoot one at a time!" But, if I ever get permission, I plan to basically use it as is. I may put a small scope like a 4 power or 2-7 power. The .22LR doesn't go far enough to need a really big scope like we've seen in some of these pictures.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top