JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Hey there I don't recommend open carrying your pistol around town just my opinion. Maybe just wait a little bit and see if that's something you really would like to bear the responsibility of. Good to see your involved in perserveing our seconed amendment! Best to ya!

Open carry requires weapon retention holsters and skills to fight a person who is trying to steal your gun. There are gangbangers who would not hesitate to stab a man and steal his gun for future drive bys.

Be sure to check the laws where you live. While Oregon state law allows open carry of a loaded handgun, Portland and many other cities prohibit the open carry of a "loaded" handgun unless you have a CHL. Doesn't make much sense to carry an unloaded handgun.
That said, I do have a CHL and still would never open carry a handgun anywhere except out in the woods. To do so is just asking for trouble. IMHO

Last Edited:
Your thread title question and thread body question aren't quite the same.

How do you open carry at 18? Same as anyone who is legal to do so.

How do you acquire a handgun at 18? However you can legally. What does this mean exactly? Read the ordinances / laws and it will become clear whatever isn't breaking a law is lawful to do.

BTW, how many family members owe you a birthday present anyway???;)

In all honesty if you're going to open carry and you're under 21 I would not open carry a pistol. I totally support your willingness to engage in acts of civil disobedience and support for the Second Amendment but truthfully cops are going to approach you as they have me in the past and if you're under 21 you may find yourself in a situation you could've avoided by simply open carrying a rifle or shotgun instead.

And as much as I support open carry, unfortunately were in an era where supersensitive ignorant people are going to call the cops and that's pretty much the only attention you'll get. I would save the open caring perhaps for a second amendment rally or something proactive in that sense. Open carrying in the streets on a weekday or at night time is only going to attract negative attention. Unfortunately. And less you make a sign and literally tape it to the barrel of the fire have your open carrying so I can grab their attention and lessen their fear.

That being said I would also wait if you're under 21 but seeking a pistol. The only way to do it would be from a family member but it has to be a gift and not a straw purchase. I know it's a silly gray area within the law but it still the law.

I also have no idea what Oregon law says about 18 year olds owning or carrying handguns, so be sure you find some reliable legal advice. Even if legal you can count on someone asking the police to come talk to you at some point in time.

ZA_S
He said it like it is, I believe.

The only way to do it would be from a family member but it has to be a gift and not a straw purchase. I know it's a silly gray area within the law but it still the law.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top