JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just curious how your rigs held up in the snow?

I drive mine up to the mountain on a regular basis so I have a good idea, but every once in awhile we get a chance to see how our setups do in an urban setting. My latest addition is a 2001 Subaru Legacy Sedan that I bought as a commuter for a new job (never owned a Subaru before) and it is a straight up beast in the snow and ice (with all seasons) and I was very impressed. My Chevy Duramax held it down also of course, and it was nice having the Subaru available for my fiancé To drive around and I felt safe having her do so.

Would love to have feedback and pictures if you got em'.

I have an older Impreza Outback, and it always does great in the snow. My wife has a newer Kia Sorento AWD and that thing impressed the heck out of me. I can lock it in 4wd mode and leave the traction control on. I had to try pretty hard to get the thing to slide around in the slick stuff we had around here.

Even if you have the best snow 4x4 ever you are still at the mercy of the soccer moms driving like it is a summer's day.

That said, I don't have a good snow vehicle for probably the first time in my life (over 16 years old). Captivity really sucks.

Have 2009 Subaru Forester and it did great. Never had a problem.

I've had Jeeps in the past but am absolutely sold on this little rig. Goes anywhere in any weather. Nice size, comfortable, good mileage and tows
4-down behind the motorhome. What more could I ask for.

Would get another one in a second. In-fact looking at a new 2014.

I drove everyday in my front wheel drive Volvo, only chained up when it was required on I5. It did fine everyday, the only problems were some of the built up snow piles were leveled by the under carriage. The car is 14 years old and I was impressed. Next car will be AWD and studded tires. I am tired of dealing with chains

My Saab 900 went from Washougal to Wilsonville in it, no chains, no problem.

My .308 converted Saiga shot wonderfully with its new Nikon 2-7, even in all the wind. I also added something new, the tactical Spongebob cheek-rest.

20140208_154811.jpg

20140208_154811.jpg

I have a jeep cherokee and let me say, 4wheel drive will help you get out but wont help you stop. I was driving along the road and some Jack decides to stop in the middle of the road.... So he can say hi to a friend!!! I was slowing down since he was slowing down and he comes to a complete stop and i tried to stop (not slaming breaks) but i lost traction and slid right into him. It was either into the creek or into the back of him.... I swear some people!

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee with studded snow tires, V8, AW.D. No issues whatsoever in this storm or the last several. Last winter for me with this rig - I'm passing it along to my son as a birthday present. The trick to winter driving is to wait a day for all the bald tired yahoos to get their wrecks out of the way so they won't be on the road. And yes, as has been mentioned value stopping over starting.

'65 F250 4x4. Locked rear. Ice screws in the tires allow stopping as well as going. Never a problem, ever.
This was the Christmas tree hunt a few years back

xmastree05006.jpg

We had around 10-12" in Salem, crawled around all the hills with out a problem. Truck has factory LSD rear, open front. 35x12.5x17 Toyo M/T's. I did chain the rear up Saturday evening, for the event of freezing rain but didn't get much at all. I have had this truck up to 3.5' of good snow (powder) in the hills so I already knew what to expect.

There was a storm? We have not even had enough snow to call it winter yet. I know we finally got some snow. Winter is just another season to me.

I make sure I have reasonable tires on my rig. I have not had studs for over 20 years and that was on an old rear wheel drive car.
I make sure I have tow rope and or chain in my rig.
I make sure I have a shovel.
My dually does not do as well as any other rig I have ran, so I did get chains for it last year. I have only had to use them in my driveway pulling my trailer in/out though.
I make sure I have a set of boots, gloves, hat, thicker socks, thermals, ext just incase I have to walk somewhere or dressed for town and have to pull someone out.
Just like all other times I try and make sure I never have less then 1/2 tank of fuel.

Right now I am driving an '04 Chevy 3500 dually.

I also have a FWD Volvo and it did wonderfully. It is a stick shift, so that helps. I also put new Goodyear Eagle GTs on it this summer. While it didn't go anywhere Saturday or Sunday (don't trust other drivers), it got me to work and back with ease Thursday, Friday and today without chains.

Even if you have the best snow 4x4 ever you are still at the mercy of the soccer moms driving like it is a summer's day.

True dat!

+1, yet again, for the SkoobyDoo Legacy Outback. I had a couple Grand Cherokees (89 and 97) that were also excellent in the snow.

While it's fun to zip around smugly watching people get stuck and abandon their vehicles everywhere, I'm scared of those soccer moms AND square-jawed barrel-chested macho *ssholes in 4WD rigs who haven't the slightest clue how to drive on snow/ice.

And to those people - NEWS FLASH!!! The "Storm" is over. Sure, I live on a steep hill, but it's Monday evening - time to come fetch your cars left in the roads, and take them home. This wasn't Katrina for crying out loud.

One of my neighbors left a Snow Cat parked in the street!

SnowCat_zpse7d007a8.jpg

We got at least 12" north of Vancouver. Have an '05 Odyssey and '08 Civic. The Civic is terrible in the snow due to it's low profile, semi-performance tires. The Ody is great even with it's standard 90,000 mile guaranty Michelins summer tires. Didn't have a bit of trouble but then I didn't try to go four wheeling with it either. For this weather I would have preferred my old '97 Jeep GC, full time four wheel drive with high and low range and a V-8.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
Defender of Freedom Award
NRA Recruiter
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top