JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The best investment back in the day was a registered Lightning Link.
They could be had for as little as $175.00, plus the price of the stamp.
If you can find one now, they are selling for well over $10,000.00

View attachment 269927

I've heard of the LL, but have never seen one before. Does that "beer can pull-tab" looking thing actually work with a 3-pos. selector switch, or just drop in and make it FA only?

Buying a $10K lighting link seems like a real risky way to go. Its literately a bucks worth of very thin steel, A stress fracture or a heat treat failure would result in the vaporizing of ten large in the blink of an eye.

I know if you want to play it costs, but I would think saving your pennies for a real M16 lower would be a smarter investment if you actually wanted to shoot it.

That is the thing that kills me If you are buying a DIAS what you are buying is $100 part and a $9900-$24,000 piece of paper. I understand why, its still nuts.

Last Edited:
How does the replacing of parts on a registered item go? Can you repair/replace everything but the SN# part?
Yes.... Kinda, it depends. o_O

It depends on what NFA item and what the repair is. I know for the DIAS, you can replace everything but the part with the serial number.
I haven't dug into things like receivers, trigger packs, dewat stuff.
Suppressors, I think the ATF keeps changing the game as they see fit. I know back in the 90s, people/manufacturers would replace everything and just put the existing serial number on the new tube, but now that's a big no no.
Ive seen NFA tech letters stating that having extra baffles alone constitutes a separate NFA item. Including extra steel wool which used to be used as baffling.

As far as wearing out the Lightning Link, you can add a hardened protector sleeve to the serialized base plate and the upright toggle piece is replaceable.

I have a buddy who did two years on NFA related charges. Part of what got him was he had a registered form 1 suppressor and then a second suppressor body engraved with the same info.

His charge was "Conspiracy to possess unregistered firearms"

I have a buddy who did two years on NFA related charges. Part of what got him was he had a registered form 1 suppressor and then a second suppressor body engraved with the same info.

His charge was "Conspiracy to possess unregistered firearms"

That was a bit "foolish" to have two tubes with the same info/info on them. HTH did he manage to bring attention to himself with that in the first place? o_O

Its really a screwed up story, the jist of it was he was accused of something he was innocent of but during the course of the investigation they found some stuff they could charge him with. Ex wife played a big part in making sure the FED's knew what to look for and where to look.

A great guy and a screwed up deal... But that's how it goes.

I actually know another guy who did 5 years for possession of a unregistered machine gun. Not quite the same deal but also the wife who turned him in. He owned a tow & wrecker biz and his wife called the feds on him, after she started having an affair with his son (she was not the kids mom, he would have been a step son) She got the biz and all his assets, he went to federal prison.

Dang.... women.

Reminds me of that Chris Rock bit on "how NOT to get your a$$ kicked by the police".

Get pulled over, and your pissed of girlfriend straight away yells out.... HE GOT WEED, HE GOT WEED! :s0112:

There's something to be said for "Lone Wolf". :rolleyes:

Yeah, I had a girlfriend I finally got tired of and I threw her out of the house. She goes down to the cop shop and tells them I have a bunch of illegal guns. They come over to my house and got to introduce them to my gun collection. Nothing illegal. Had a cup of coffee and we had a chuckle about how worthless women are in the greater scheme of things.

2. Enjoying the friendly competition at a local subgun match. Hanging out with fellow subgun owners is a good time.

I agree. I so miss the competition shoots at Albany R&P Club. Back in the 90's we would drive to Albany from Puyallup and compete. I placed a few times and have the plaques to prove it. I loved subgun matches.

Two things come to mind on this.
First , you mention "US" parts. In this you are probably referring to an imported item like a FN Fal, L1A1, Cetme, AK, etc.
As you might remember, the import of foreign made "assault weapons" was banned some years ago. However, the import of parts from these was still permitted, as long as the total of the parts was not re-assembled into the original weapon. This also meant that the foreign made receiver could not be imported.
Then, some US manufacturers hit on the idea of importing these parts and combining with a US made receiver and usually a few additional US made parts to make the end result a hybrid of foreign and US parts. The parts count thing enters if you try to re-convert the weapon back toward it's original state, eliminating the US made parts or taking a US receiver and then combining it with 100% foreign parts. I dont recall the exact required number of US parts, but if you have something like a "Century" with a US made receiver, there will also be a few other US made replacement parts, to satisfy the import requirements. Changing out the US parts to original parts could get you a violation.
The other thing about a parts count could pertain to using over a certain number of full auto component parts in a semi weapon, such as having an M-16 bolt carrier, selector, trigger, hammer, and disconnector in a semi AR-15. ATF would consider that "Collective Possesion" of a machine gun, even though it would not fire full auto without further modification. This would also include having too many M-2 parts in a semi M-1 carbine. I believe that count limit is any two parts, but check with an ATF office if in doubt on either of these examples. :s0155:

You are talking about 922 compliance parts. If memory serves me right there is a list of ten parts that can be replaced. Any combination of 5 parts will comply. Say like building an AK kit.
Up here in Washington there is no such thing as "collective possesion". In Washington, just a M-16 carrier in an AR will get you in trouble. In Washington they consider any machine gun parts as illegal. Which if you think about it, it does not make much sense since the same furniture, barrel, gas block, Springs, pins, detents, etc. are used for both guns.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top