JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
IMHO I would not bother with all the hassles and such, owning one would entail. I spent 25 years in spec ops. and I can tell you in all honesty that auto or burst is rarely ever used. Almost every thing I was ever issued had the "switch" but was very seldom used. In the Civilian world, something like this would be a total waste of ammo. not to mention very expensive and hard or parts. When we used our issue weapons in rock and roll mode, the life span of barrels and bolt parts went way down. Shooting with any hope of accuracy also went strait to hell. Best used in short bursts for keeping heads down or pinning some one in place while other team members could move into position and take them down! Fun to own and shoot I guess for those who have never served, or never had to run and gun with only the ammo you carried on you, but of no practical value in the real world. Even when S.H.T.F. I would much prefer plain old semi auto only. Just my honest opinion. For the record, I carry a semi auto in 7.62x 51 and its more then able to handle any thing that comes into range!o_O
My experience is that your opponent with full auto will quickly run out of ammo without hitting much of anything he aimed at. You can then safely dispatch him with your semi-auto.

So being the devil's advocate. The only two battle scenarios I can see. Would be if an entire wave of infantry was storming your position. Or clearing a room very fast. :cool:

They do have a selector switch.
You don't have to shoot them full auto, but truthfully, I have never had anyone move the selector switch off of full auto to single shot when I let folks shoot mine.

That's why MAC-10's are called "room brooms". :D
Also called bullet hose. Especially the MAC11a1 in .380.

They do have a selector switch.
You don't have to shoot them full auto, but truthfully, I have never had anyone move the selector switch off of full auto to single shot when I let folks shoot mine.
I have used the selector switch. I'd start new people off in semi-auto just for them to get the feel of it. Then load a mag with a few rounds for FA shooting. After that it's time to rock and roll.

I think the movies have ruined the facts around full auto weapons. It seems that you can shoot these things for ever, and hit everything you are pointing at (note I didn't say aiming) and no one ever seems to be packing any extra mags with them :)
In reality, they go through a 30 round mag very quickly. If you have never shot a full auto gun, I highly recommend it. It is a lot of fun. But the novelty wears off quickly when you reach for your checkbook.
Having said that, would I own one. Nope. In my opinion they are just not practical. As many here (who have used them in the line of duty, I have not) have said you don't really use that feature as much as the movies depict it. If ever. You burn through your ammo load out quickly, and really except for a very few certain circumstances, are just not practical. I think a lot of mystique around them, is that they are fairly rare, and difficult to purchase, and feed. Personally, semi-auto is perfectly fine for me.

Machine guns are like Ferrari's. Expensive to own and maintain, but there is a certain male primal lust for wanting something that's not really practical or even justifiable unless you have more money then you know what to do with.

Sure you can quantify why they're bullet wasters and can't hit anything, but if you were offered one for free, how many would turn one down for those reasons "No thanks, I'll pass on that
HK MP5 or WWll MG-42, it's just not practical."

Now you have opened another can of worms. We all agree that shooting a full auto from the shoulder is pretty much a waste of everything accept the grin on your face. But when you bring up guns like the MG-42. The accuracy increases incredibly when you mount a gun like that on a stationary platform of some kind. Or an M-60 or a S.A.W.

That's what I was thinking, while it's true everyone should try it, it's not practical and hard on parts as said above. It sucks when your buying the ammo, and not the tax payers, that said, we learned to be as fast on aimed double and triple taps, as being on auto and trying to only do quick 2-4 round bursts, plus trying a low round aimed burst is not easy or conductive. Now the mention of belt feds/crew served weapons, brings another new conversation, as those were made to be shot on auto, but again with restraint and controlled bursts. Accuracy is much higher as is the fun factor.

I shot my fair share of MGs in the Marines. I agree that there is limited practicality in most realistic civvy scenarios, they're mostly good with belt fed crew served weps shooting at large groups and vehicles and that kinda stuff. That said, I'd love to have a couple. Nothing crazy, maybe an MP40, an HK of some kind, and an AR. I just think they are fun... Just like I think pretty much all other guns are fun. No joy here in WA though. Someday I'll live in a free state.

Not everything has to be practical or cheap. I've got an LMT m203 on the way too. I have practical stuff too. As with all gun debates, "both" is always the answer. :)

I own a couple of automatic weapons (m16 and mac-11 with Lage Upper) and I'm a retired military dude. IMHO it has nothing to do with practicality and everything to do with PURE FUN! No matter how many weapons I've shot over my travels in foreign lands I always...and I mean ALWAYS get a smile on my face when I should off several rounds in full auto. It is especially a pleasure to see one of my investments appreciate significantly. I bought the full auto Colt M16 (10 inch Commando version) for $18k and it is already SELLING on GunBroker for $24K and that is just 2yrs later. My Mac-11 was only $5500 and its already going for 30% more in just 1 yr. Just like PDXSparky said.... It is fun to see people shoot and even more fun to shoot it myself!

I gave up buying practical stuff a long time ago. My feelings are that if you are trying to justify the purchase of a few dozen+ SBR's , MG's silencers, DD etc for practical reasons you are delusional. They are toys. I have no problem justifying them as toys.

The Saddle Butte Machine Gun Shoot weekend is coming soon and if you haven't had the chance, it's worth the drive just to be there and see/hear all of the different automatics weapons up and running.
You don't have to shoot any, just hearing them is something else.
There's also certain times that are set aside for suppressors only and if you're thinking of buying one, that's a great time to try some out.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top